8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 7:15 PM by EPHRAIM GITELMAN

Premiere Elements 8 non standard editing presets.

bozziol900 Level 1

Hello,

I'm using PE8 and I'd like to be able to edit 720p 60fps footage straight from the camera without converting it to 30fps. It was possible with PE7 with some custom presets created by someone. Adobe has conveniently changed presets format and I cannot add those presets to PE8 now.

is there any workaround or do I have to convert all of my videos to 30fps before editing?

any ideas will help,

cheers,

mac

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 non standard editing presets.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You will not likely be able to edit 60 fps footage in Premiere Elements.

I'm not aware of a program that can convert 60 to 30 fps, unfortunately.

But, if version 7 does the job, why not either edit it in version 7 or use it to convert the video to 30?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 non standard editing presets.
            bozziol900 Level 1

Well, that's a good question, but I have had some stability issues with Elements 7 and PE8 seems to be a bit less prone to crashes. On top of that I'm quite sure that it is just a matter of modifying the preference file, which is written in xml format, as this is how the issue has been resolved in PE7. I was hoping that someone has already done that,

I have tried "free video converter" to convert the mp4 720p 60fps to mpeg2 720p 30fps but here seems to be some sort of problem with codecs, as the output video works perfectly well in any video player but when opened in PE8 video track is red (audio comes through).

it's a bit annoying.

mac

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 non standard editing presets.
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I have tried "free video converter" to convert the mp4 720p 60fps to mpeg2 720p 30fps but here seems to be some sort of problem with codecs, as the output video works perfectly well in any video player but when opened in PE8 video track is red (audio comes through).

You are probably 100% correct that this is a CODEC issue. This ARTICLE will give you some background on CODEC's.

The playability of a particular AV file is no guarantee that that same file can be edited. The two operations are very, very different, and a CODEC that allows a file to play, might not be usable by an NLE. Also, some NLE's can use more CODEC's for editing, than others do. One of the biggest problems, when attempting to edit in a frame-accurate NLE, is the GOP structure of many compressed CODEC's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 non standard editing presets.
                tech_savvy Level 1

You can't customize the project presets in PE8 to edit videos at 60 fps. No such option that i know of.

Where do you want to play that file?

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 non standard editing presets.
                  Mika Järvinen Level 1

I have been editing 720p 50 fps footage (PAL-mode)  in preset like this: PAL-->HDV--> 720p 25 fps without any problems. This preset seems to preserve the the original information (fps) of footage very well so that I can produce very smooth overcranking. I would bet that the same works with NTSC.

The way I do is that I copy and rename the files what I want to use. So that I have 2 versions: same footage, different name. Then I drag those files to the timeline and I use Intepret footage to "assume" other file that it is 25 fps. Other file is left just how it is. So, then I have footage normal speed 50 fps and overcranked 25 fps footage from the same file. I have never had any render or smoothness problems what so ever,

I have also tried timestreching to 50% of the original speed. It seems to work quite well too. But with "assuming" frame rates to 25fps from 50 fps I get very smooth and nice overcranking. But I really try to find some troubles if I would want to overcrank my Canons 60 fps to 24p as Pre8 doesn´t support that frame rate. 

Hope you find this helpful!

-Mika

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8 non standard editing presets.
                    Marshall_C Level 1

I have a similar problem. I am

getting more and more upset with Adobe as they had this feature of

creating custom presets in the m

anual (page 34) but not in the released product.

Its a mea culpa for me as I should have really tested the PrE 8 and not assume that Adobe will include what was in version 7 or not just look at the manual.

I shall have a look at what else to do before bin this thing. I am not interested nor should I have to spend extra time & effort to convert files so that I could do is a simple editing.

However I must say there are some really good people like Bill, Steve & ATR on the forum and even if I decide to bin PrE I will still visit the forum as these guys and others are just fantastic with their replies.

Thanking all once again sorry I have no answer for bozziol900 and will try to be more positive in the future.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8 non standard editing presets.
                      jkent62 Level 1

I created a new set of custom presets for Premiere Elements 8, and it includes an editing preset for 720p60.  WIth these presets, PE8 should be able to edit 720p50/60 footage natively, without you needing to run any pre-processing on the raw footage.  You can just drag&drop the footage into your PE8 project.

I tested the preset superficially with some Panasonic GH1 AVCHD footage and Panasonic ZS3 AVCHD-lite footage.  (I.e. loading and previewing the footage worked fine, rendering the project out to a WMV file also worked fine -- the 60fps WMV file played at the correct rate with the same smoothness as the original.)

Also, this may or may not apply to you.  My AVCHD-lite camera (Panasonic ZS3) records 1280x720 30p video, but stores it in a 60p bitstream. I thought the video was 60p, but PE8 reports it is 30p.  The Mediainfo tool (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net) confirmed that the ZS3 footage really is 30p (and not 60p.)  (The ZS3 product manual also says the same thing.)

Here is the downlink link for the custom-presets: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/605768?tstart=0

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8 non standard editing presets.
                        EPHRAIM GITELMAN Level 1

In your word document for the final patch you list as a standard  Adobe preset:

1280x720p            29.97            NTSC            progressive       HDV1, AVCHD-lite

I could not find this preset.  Did you mean  the preset for HDV?  This preset is not AVCHD lite.

Also, are  the presets you supplied and listed as HDC-SD9 supposed to be copied into the Hard  Disk,Flash Memory camcorder sequence file?

Ephraim  Gitelman