4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2010 4:15 PM by Huntrex

How to handle 1080i 25fps PAL & 1080p 30fps NTSC in PPRO

MarinVanja

Hello there!

One, kind of, newbie question, on which I (professional editor) don't seem to be able to find answer to ! shame on me!!!

1) I have my main camcorder Sony HDV FX-1 which records in MPEG-2 1440x1080 (1080i) in PAL (25 fps)

2) The other is Canon 5D MkII which records in MOV files 1920x1080 (1080p) in NTSC (30fps)

So, how to put them "in peace" together on Timeline in PPRO CS4?

Which preset do I choose?

What to convert and how?

Since I can't "upscale" my MPEG PAL 25 fps Interlaced, I guess I should go and convert my 30fps Progressive NTSC into the one mentioned above!*!*!

Sounds tricky and probably confusing, doesn't it???

Well, I count on you, my dear genius friends!

I really need ideas, if you don't have the solution, try to hit me with some brain-storming about the issue!

THnx!!
      V

• 1. Re: How to handle 1080i 25fps PAL & 1080p 30fps NTSC in PPRO
          Huntrex Level 2

Hello MarinVanja and welcome to the forums.

That is a bit of a predicament. Do you have a certain frame size or frame rate that you need to use? Or are you flexible so we can make a custom sequence that works best for mixing these two cameras? What is the final output going to be for?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to handle 1080i 25fps PAL & 1080p 30fps NTSC in PPRO
            MarinVanja Level 1

Thnx for replaying and welcoming me into Forum!

Yeap, unfortunately I have to have 25i FrameRate as my final product (Ok, it can be Progressive as well) - but it is SD PAL for TV broadcast - so, I always get downconverting my materials at the end...

But somehow, I have the feeling that the final is better if I edit (ergo - add all effects, color correction etc.) in native format, or Higher Def format then the final one...

If I downscale it to SD PAL and then start editing, I start destroying quality of already maximum downgraded material...

But my main question is still - how to convert that NTSC 30p cineform avi to PAL 25 - I tried with simple Interpret footage in PPRO, and then Speed change to original of native file - but audio gets unsync! Or very deep voices

I am sure people have been running into problems like these, especially lately - when so many Formats and Codecs get messed up and mixed up - particulary when I have to collect footage for documentary - shot over longer period of time with various equipment - from Hi8 to Canon 5D MkII...

Big mess!

• 3. Re: How to handle 1080i 25fps PAL & 1080p 30fps NTSC in PPRO
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Andrew Kramer from Videocopilot has a tutorial on converting to different framerates in After Effects.

At present the site is down, so cant give you a link.

Look under the tutorials: no. 19. Frame Rate Converter.

• 4. Re: How to handle 1080i 25fps PAL & 1080p 30fps NTSC in PPRO
                Huntrex Level 2

Well, the simplest way to convert from 30fps to 25fps is to simply create a 25fps sequence and drop it in. But be sure to turn frame blending off (right click on video to access) to avoid ghosting.

In order to properly interlace progressive footage you need a frame rate double that of your desired interlaced frame rate, or 50fps. You can get Premiere to try to interlace them by right clicking the video and go to "field options" and select "Interlace consecutive frames". Or choose to do your project progressively.

If you want high quality downscaling check out Jeff Bellune's tutorial on Dan Isaacs' HD2SD workflow here. The result is much clearer than the adobe media encoder, even using maximum render quality.

If it were me, I would convert to convert to SD before editing. But that's completely up to you.