3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2010 3:32 AM by Jacob Bugge

Why Distiller ?

upthathill

Hello! I need support to understand a request I was made.

I'm doing a shop window with Illustrator. I did it in scale 1:1.

The printer wants a pdf file Adobe 4 (pdf 1.3) compatible and told me I have to "distill" it.

I'm a beginner and probably my questions are obvious, this is the problem of self-taught women like me, but I would like to know: why should I use Distiller? What is this program meant for? How can I do that operation?

Thank for your patience.

up.

• 1. Re: Why Distiller ?
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

up,

What the printer means is that you should File>Print and use Acrobat (formerly called Acrobat Distiller) as printer, setting the conversion serttings to Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3). You can find it if you mess about in the options, possibly still under Edit Conversion Settings.

I am not sure whether anyone here will support that printer request.

Basically, you may Save As or Print to PDF. The former is more common; the latter is more limited.

• 2. Re: Why Distiller ?
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

What Jacob wrote is not quite accurate

Acrobat has always been Acrobat Distiller is a partner Application that will take a postscript file and prepare it as a PDF.

You can save the fie as a PDF from Illustrator.

File>Save As and fro the format drop down menu in the Save As dialog choose Adobe PDF.

You can choose Acrobat 1.4 there as well.

Or you can use file Print>Acrobat as the printer on the Windows Platform or Mac platform in versions Prior to OS 10.6. This will leave a PDF on your desktop on the Mac on Windows I do not know where it saves it it probably gives you an option for the location

It is not available in OS 10.6.

In OS 10.6 and later you choose Adobe Postscript instead that will leave a file on you desktop a suffix of .ps

that file you Distill to make a PDF.

Printing it makes a smaller file but I do not think there is an advantage.

• 3. Re: Why Distiller ?
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

My initial statement,

What the printer means is that you should File>Print and use Acrobat  (formerly called Acrobat Distiller) as printer, setting the conversion  serttings to Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3). You can find it if you mess about in  the options, possibly still under Edit Conversion Settings.

was based upon the fact that both terms, namely Acrobat 4 and PDF 1.3, were mentioned. Unless this has changed in the latest version(s) (which they may, of course), only the former is mentioned in the options when you Save As PDF, so as far as I can tell this is a clear indication that the printer expects you to Print to PDF where both terms are mentioned.

I believe this is a standard request to ensure that nothing goes wrong (and that the printer will not have to learn about other than the well known).

The difference between Save As and Print to has been pointed out a number of times here in the forum, as by Larry in post #8 here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1947495

I tried to give an answer stripped of complicated issues.

Sometimes terseness has a price.