3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2010 2:18 AM by Mylenium

Installation and upgrade questions.

JerryCied Level 1

I posted this in Photoshop and got no response so i am re-posting it here. (thanks)

My daughter has photoshop cs4 via one of the suites (design premium).

It was originally installed on her old computer as a 32 bit version.

She now has a 64 bit machine. I drive imaged the old drive to the new machine and did all the hardware drivers, and it is working perfectly.

It is vista home premium.

How can she upgrade to the 64 bit version of photoshop without breaking her installation or loosing any of her work?

If I upgrade her OS to windows 7 Pro (x64), will that be a problem?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

I have downloaded the master suite trial instalation files onto my drive. My goal is to create an installation dvd set and use it to install trial versions of the various products on a couple of different machines. The entire folder structure is over 8 gig, So i need two DVDs.

How do i split the resulting un compressed master suite installation folders to two dvds so that it functions as an install dvd?

If my son ends up buying just one product (say dreamweaver), Can he unlock the copy of dreamweaver that was installed via the master suite install dvd? or does he have to uninstall the master suite copy and re-install the dreamweaver cs4 download?

If the trial expires, can he unlock it at some point later if he purchases a key?

Does each product within the master suite have its own trial expiration date based on when that particular product was installed? or once you install one product from the master suite install dvd, the date is set for all products?

Thanks

Jerry C

• 1. Re: Installation and upgrade questions.
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

My daughter has photoshop cs4 via one of the suites (design premium).

It was originally installed on her old computer as a 32 bit version.

She now has a 64 bit machine. I drive imaged the old drive to the new machine and did all the hardware drivers, and it is working perfectly.

It is vista home premium.

How can she upgrade to the 64 bit version of photoshop without breaking her installation or loosing any of her work?

If I upgrade her OS to windows 7 Pro (x64), will that be a problem?

Cannot answer you definitely about installing 64 bit Photoshop but I suggest inserting the DVD and installing Photoshop only. The DVD should pick up that you're on a 64 bit OS and offer you 64 bit Photoshop.

I suggest clean installing Windows 7, rather than upgrade installing. That would mean reinstalling all software and drivers but it's the most reliable method in my experience.

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

I have downloaded the master suite trial instalation files onto my drive. My goal is to create an installation dvd set and use it to install trial versions of the various products on a couple of different machines. The entire folder structure is over 8 gig, So i need two DVDs.

How do i split the resulting un compressed master suite installation folders to two dvds so that it functions as an install dvd?

If my son ends up buying just one product (say dreamweaver), Can he unlock the copy of dreamweaver that was installed via the master suite install dvd? or does he have to uninstall the master suite copy and re-install the dreamweaver cs4 download?

If the trial expires, can he unlock it at some point later if he purchases a key?

Does each product within the master suite have its own trial expiration date based on when that particular product was installed? or once you install one product from the master suite install dvd, the date is set for all products?

Thanks

Jerry C

I suspect you'll struggle to split Suites to install individual products on various machines (if that's what you mean). Suites are far more than a simple collection of the individual software titles. They're tightly integrated, must be installed on the same machine together and are all tied to a single suite serial number which is unrelated to the individual product serial numbers. I believe the downloaded Suite file has to be installed as one.

I don't know of a way to burn the downloaded file across 2 DVDs.

If your son only purchases Dreamweaver, he'll have to uninstall the Master Suite and re-install the DW download.

If the trial expires, it'll keep showing a Trial has expired screen and you cannot go further. Once you enter a valid serial number, it'll launch normally.

My understanding of the Suites is that all products are integrated. Once the trial version of a single product in the suite is launched, my understanding is that the clock starts ticking for all products in the suite. That said, I have not tried launching individual products in the Trial versions more than 30 days apart.

• 2. Re: Installation and upgrade questions.
            JerryCied Level 1

Thank you for your respose.

I am hopeing for a win 7 upgrade.

I think i have found out that 64 bit will install along side of the 32 bit versions and they co-exist.

I think that my daughter will try installing from the original install and see if the 64 bit version appears.

I will let you know what happens.

I guess also that i will experiment on my other desktop pc regarding the trial exp dates.

The truth is that there is no way we will buy the master suite, but it is all there and it makes it easy to install the trials.

If the worst case is that we have to uninstall the MS before installing the purchased product, then that is not too bad.

Thanks

Jerry

• 3. Re: Installation and upgrade questions.
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Please see my answers in the PS forum and don't scatter multiple posts on the same topixc in different forums.

Mylenium