9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2010 1:20 PM by the_wine_snob

PP won't open, has error message

alvic14 Level 1

Hi,

I've been using Premiere Pro CS4 version 4.0.0 on a Dell Latitude (Windows) laptop for several months without any major issues.  However, I recently installed the 4.2 update from Adobe's website, which, for some reason, caused PP to lag and freeze up.  So, I performed a system restore to restore the version back to 4.0.0.  However, after doing this, PP won't even open, and displays the error message

"Adobe Premiere Pro could not find any capable video play modules. Please update your display drivers and start again."

I can't figure out what to do, nor do I know what the error message is referring to.  I have a hunch that the problem lies in PP, since all my other Adobe applications (After Effects, Soundbooth, Photoshop, etc.) still work fine.

Any help would be appreciated; thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: PP won't open, has error message
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Several questions:

1. Does your system meet MINIMUM requirements? A separate physical 7200 RPM SATA disk, 1280 x 900 resolution, etc.?

2. Are your video drivers up-to-date?

3. Has your PR installation become corrupt or reverted to trial status?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PP won't open, has error message
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Did you do what the error message asked you to do; that is, update your video card drivers?

-Jeff

• 3. Re: PP won't open, has error message
              the_wine_snob Level 9

What is your video card/chip?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PP won't open, has error message
                alvic14 Level 1

Hi Harm,

1.  Yes, my system does meet minimum requirements.  Also, Premiere Pro worked fine for several months, and now won't open after I tried to undo an update.

2.  I will try to do that as soon as possible to see if it remedies the situation.

3.  I am not sure what you mean by a 'corrupt installation', sorry.  And no, PP has not reverted to trial status; I purchased the full version with an educational license.

Thanks for your input!

• 5. Re: PP won't open, has error message
                  alvic14 Level 1

Hi Hunt,

My video card is a NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M.

• 6. Re: PP won't open, has error message
                    alvic14 Level 1

Hi Jeff,

On other help sources, people said that updating video card drivers did not remedy the situation, but I guess it's worth a try.  I'll get to that as soon as possible to see if it alleviates the problem.

• 7. Re: PP won't open, has error message
                      Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

The error message indicates that PPro either couldn't find or load a player plugin (the core component that hosts your video playback on your source/program monitors).

That usually corresponds to Plug-ins/Common/PlayerMediaCore.prm, unless you're using a third party hardware combination, in which case, the 3rd party usually has their own player plugin.

99% of the time, the problem is that the display driver on your machine is somehow incompatible with OpenGL extensions that the app uses in the player plugin.  A common misconception is that a user is using an 'up to date' driver if they get it from their computer system manufacturer, ie Dell, HP, what have you.  You really need to get the latest display cards from your graphics card manufacturer, in this case, nVidia.

The other (remote) possibility is that somehow your system no longer has the right Microsoft runtime libraries installed that PPro requires (I'm assuming Windows here, of course. I'm not sure how one can get in that state, but it's theoretically possible.)

If you're geeky, you can use a dependency checker tool to look at the above-mentioned player plugin & see whether the required DLL dependencies are on the machine.  If they're missing, you could track down and install the VC redist package for VS2005 SP1;  probably simpler though to reinstall the app at this point.

Cheers

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: PP won't open, has error message
                        alvic14 Level 1

Thanks for everyone's help!

I was able to resolve the problem by updating my entire suite to version 4.2.1.

• 9. Re: PP won't open, has error message
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and thanks for reporting your success!

Good luck,

Hunt