3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2010 1:32 PM by Capturefilms

VIDEO I/O - 3RD MONITOR

Capturefilms

Hi,

I'm just about to put together my new edit suite, but I'm stuck on the issue of the 3rd graded monitor.

First of all, it would probably help if I told you the footage we're editing is 720p25 shot in the Panasonic HVX200 (P2 cards, not tape)

In addition to the two standard monitors, I would like a third graded HD monitor and output to a SD source.

I was going to buy the Blackmagic Intensity Pro card, which I was told would do the job, but according to their website it doesn't support 720p25, only 720p50 or 59.94.

The alternative was the Matrox Mini, however, this doesn't support 720p25 either.

A couple of people have suggested I get two graphics cards, but most have warned that this is not the best solution.

This is one of the most common aspects of video editing (a third graded monitor) so there must be an answer, I just can't find it!!

Does anybody have any ideas;

Is there another card on the market?

Is there a suitable graphics card that also has a third video out?

Has anyone got a black magic or matrox mini and uses it for 720p25 output?

Any help would be terrific.

Cheers

Ben

• 1. Re: VIDEO I/O - 3RD MONITOR
          Harm Millaard Level 7

ATI HD58xx cards have three outputs and the EyeFinity expected in a couple of weeks even 6 HDMI connections. The dilemma is that ATI will not be supported (at least not yet) for use with MPE. That will only work with a limited number of nVidia cards, that only allow 2 monitors.

In addition to the two standard monitors, I would like a third graded HD monitor and output to a SD source.

I understand output to a destination, but output to a source? I thought it was input from a source.

Anyway, if I understand you correctly, you want a third SD capable monitor. In that case a firewire out to a camera/deck with analog out to a monitor/TV will do the job.

• 2. Re: VIDEO I/O - 3RD MONITOR
            Scott Chichelli Level 3

MMXO mini fyi 25P/50P same thing really

• 3. Re: VIDEO I/O - 3RD MONITOR
              Capturefilms Level 1

25p and 50p are very different. 25 frames a second different!

To do it this way I'd ahve to set up a 720p50 project and import my 720p25 footage which just wouldn't help at all.