6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2010 8:08 AM by SilverTreeAustin

Audition edit causes Premiere to re-conform every file

SilverTreeAustin

I've recently used Audition 3.0 to edit audio clips via 'render-and-replace' in a few Premiere CS4 projects. The export to Audition works fine; I can edit/process my clips, save and go back to Premiere CS4 with no problem. But when I get back to Premiere, I find it re-conforming every file in my project. The last project was a 1.25hr concert shot with multiple cameras and had a few external extra audio tracks (like an 8 channel multi-track recording) and it took a long time to re-conform all the audio. I can render and replace with Soundbooth CS4 without incident. I don't like Soundbooth.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or know how to stop it? It's a big waste of time.

-Brian

• 1. Re: Audition edit causes Premiere to re-conform every file
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

Are you sure it is conforming, and not generating pek files?

Conforming should only happen if the audio is a non standard form or rate.

• 2. Re: Audition edit causes Premiere to re-conform every file
            SilverTreeAustin Level 1

Thanks Curt,

Premiere shows the progress bar in the bottom right-hand corner saying "Conforming Cam1....." so I assume it's conforming. I'll also have duplicate CFA files with a *_1.cfa, *_2.cfa, *_3.cfa, in the project folder.

The video files are all HDV captured as *.M2T via HDVSplit and are usually conformed when I import them into the project. It's just when I do an 'Edit in Adobe Audition' action that these whole projects will re-conform.

• 3. Re: Audition edit causes Premiere to re-conform every file
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

What format / rate is audition saving them in?

• 4. Re: Audition edit causes Premiere to re-conform every file
                SilverTreeAustin Level 1

Audition saves the 'rendered and replaced' clip as a 48kHz 16bit stereo WAV with the file name of "Cam1-Tape2-0002 Audio Extracted.wav". The original file was Cam1-Tape2-0002.m2t and had the typical mp2 stereo audio track.

• 5. Re: Audition edit causes Premiere to re-conform every file
                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

Following are the rules of comforming from adobe docs.  Based on this I would say your audio should not have to conform.  I dont have audition on my system at the moment, so I cant confirm, deny, or test it.   Anyone else duplicate this?

These rules determine which types of audio get conformed:

Uncompressed audio

• Adobe Premiere Pro does not conform audio in uncompressed clips that were recorded in one of the natively supported sample rates, when you use these clips in sequences with matching sample rates.

• Adobe Premiere Pro does conform audio in uncompressed clips when you use them in sequences with non-matching sample rates. However no conforming is done until you export the sequences or create audio preview files.

• Adobe Premiere Pro does conform audio in uncompressed formats that were not recorded in a natively supported sample rate. In most of these cases, it will upsample the audio either to the nearest supported sample rate, or to a supported sample rate that is an even multiple of the source audio sample rate. For example, it will upsample an 11024Hz source to 11025Hz, since that is the nearest supported rate, and there is no supported rate that is an even multiple of 11024.

Compressed audio

• Adobe Premiere Pro does conform all compressed audio, such as audio found in mp3, WMA, MPEG, or compressed MOV files. It conforms this audio at the sample rate of its source file. For example it will conform a 44100Hz mp3 file at 44100Hz. However, if the conformed audio is used in a sequence with a non-matching sampling rate, as when a 44100Hz clip is used in a 44000Hz sequence, the audio will play back at the sample rate of the sequence without further conforming.

• 6. Re: Audition edit causes Premiere to re-conform every file
                    SilverTreeAustin Level 1

I've already looked through the "help" docs to see if there was a setting somewhere, but it's looking to me like a software "issue". Thanks tho.

Can anyone with Audition 3.0 and Premiere CS4 duplicate this issue?