3 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2015 5:44 AM by Maarten@DeLaere

export to dwg / dxf problems - circles as splines?

intellijel

I am having an issue exporting a simple .ai drawing to cad.

My drawing has only rectangles and circles but when I export them as a cad file in .dxf or .dwg format the circles are saved as splines and not circles (to autocad programs there is a difference).

Any tips?

cheers,

Danjel

• 1. Re: export to dwg / dxf problems - circles as splines?
          intellijel Level 1

So more specifically I am on a mac with OS X with Illustrator CS4 14.0.0

I need to export the simple drawing consisting of rectangles and circles to dxf or dwg and contain no splines or ellipses.

How can I do this?

• 2. Re: export to dwg / dxf problems - circles as splines?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

How can I do this?

You can't. Drawing primitives like rectangles and circles are only available in CAD programs. The classical DXF such as used in AI doesn't even support those entity types, only newer versions (a.k.a. Autodesk's hacked format after ACAD 11) does.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: export to dwg / dxf problems - circles as splines?
              Maarten@DeLaere

I came to this (old) topic when googling to a similar problem.

I have to export this circles-pattern to DWG, to get the circles drilled on a CNC machine.

Source file is a DWG file, with a pattern of circles in 5 and 8 mm. Both circles will get drilled. The original file has two circles for the 8mm holes (5mm + 8mm over it), wich leads to double drilling work on the CNC machine.

I used Illustrator CS6's pathfinder to uniite both holes, giving me the perfect result. But when I export the AI to a DWG file and open it in AutoCAD 2012, I have no longer the circles pattern, I only have a pattern of dots (central points of each circle).

Is there a solution or workaround (intermediate step or fileformat) for this issue? Or do I need a plugin to have more export-to-DWG options?

AI_vs_DWG_CirclesBecameDots.jpg

Any help would be highly appreciated!

maarten [at] delaeredecor [dot] be