3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2010 12:55 AM by VDOSurfer

Pre 8.0 Error and Crash

kschroeder530

Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 produces an error PathUtils.cpp-190 and then crashes everytime I try to drag video into the timeline. However, no such error occurred when the Administrator was logged on using the same program. I'd like to think it is a problem and I should update to 8.0.1 or check the graphic card driver, but then why would it work on the same computer under the Admin login?

• 1. Re: Pre 8.0 Error and Crash
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's really impossible to say without knowing details about your project, your media and your computer.

It might be a better question to ask Adobe Tech Support. They'll be able to walk you through the troubleshooting steps to diagnose why one account works but another doesn't.

• 2. Re: Pre 8.0 Error and Crash
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Is your account an Administrator? PrE (and most Adobe programs) really, really want to be run from an Administrator account.

Also, this ARTICLE will give you tips on the types of info that will help us help you.

When a program, or system crashes, there is often a breadcrumb trail left behind. This ARTICLE will give you tips on how to search out clues as to what is happening on your system, when the crash occurs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Pre 8.0 Error and Crash
              VDOSurfer Level 3

If I am writing a software (which I do) and I have a file named pathutils.cpp, it is more likely a piece of code that checks for a valid path, checks access control, size checks and stuff like that.

If it is not an admin user, there is all the chance that there is a write attempted to a location that is a read-only for the currently logged in user. I can check that in the Scratchdisks (Edit->Preferences->Scratchdisk). You can keep all the folders mentioned in this screen as folders where you have write permissions (and yes, lots lots lots of space). You should not get this error again after that, hopefully.

Either that or I don't know to name code files in my project.