2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2010 6:09 AM by JETalmage

Data Templates

Robert Kieth-Allen

Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to create table/graph/data templates for illustrator CS3, loading the data from a .txt file exported from excel.

Things like setting colours, type, tracking, leading, along with how the data is displayed. If someone could point me in the direction of an appropriate guide that would be helpful! or if you're feeling super helpful a step-by-step guide here would be even better.

I've read on this site about saving as an SVG file from illustrator, but that's for web graphics?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Rob

• 1. Re: Data Templates
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Check the online help on using variables. It's not glorious and has limitations, but should get you started. In addition learn a bit about using the chart tools. They, too, can be used to create data driven graphics.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Data Templates
            JETalmage Level 6

It's hardly worth the effort. Illustrator is a very dated graphics program that provides very little in the way of data-driven content. The so-called data-driven Variables feature only allows text objects to be bound as Variables at the object level, not at the style, paragraph, or character level. It's XML based and rather persnikety about the formatting of the XML it exports and imports. It's not a simple matter of importing straight from Excel like a data merge feature in InDesign or other programs.

If I had to do something like I think you are describing in AI, I'd do it with a Javascript written to the specifics of the project--but that's not for everyone either.

Bottom line--probably the wrong program to be attempting this with.

JET