4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2010 6:46 AM by pziecina

Adding audio and/or video

dwcs4novice

What are the steps to add audio and/or video to my web site? The server doesn't support Javascript and I don't have Adobe's Flash software. Initially, I tried linking to an .mp3 file, but since learned that is not possible. Do I need Flash software? A couple of general suggestions would be great to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Adding audio and/or video
          pziecina Level 6

Hi

First your server does not require javascript only your browser, (standard in all modern browsers).

You also do not necessarily require the flash program, (your browser will require a plug-in for the audio video to play).

You will require some form of video/media encoding software to convert your files to the required format though, (do a search using your preferred search engine for video encoder), then use dreamweavers insert file option to insert your audio/video file into your html

PZ

www.pziecina.com

• 2. Re: Adding audio and/or video
            dwcs4novice Level 1

Hi PZ,

Do I need to convert the mp3 sound file specifically to the SWF file format for insertion into my html code? Is the Adobe Flash application ideal for this conversion or do developers more commonly use another tool?  I would also like to incorporate clipped digital video on my web site.

Thanks again,

dwcs4novice

• 3. Re: Adding audio and/or video
              dwcs4novice Level 1

Hi PZ,

Thanks for your initial response. Do I need to convert the mp3 sound file specifically to the SWF file format for insertion into my html code? Is the Adobe Flash application ideal for this conversion and for editing audio/video for use within web pages? I did search the web for audio/video encoders and there are many options.

Thanks again,

dwcs4novice

• 4. Re: Adding audio and/or video
                pziecina Level 6

Hi

The flash application will do everything that you wish to do, also you could use quicktime pro which is much cheaper to add audio/video. But quicktime does not have as large a user base as flash, although it is installed on 80%+ of computers which is mainly due to it being an optional part of the iTunes download.

To use quicktime with dreamweaver see - http://www.layersmagazine.com/using-quicktime-videos-with-dreamweaver.html.

PZ

1 person found this helpful