11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2010 7:06 PM by Bill Gehrke

2010 best average user PC set up for video editing

majorvox Level 1

Is it to much to ask for a simple, short bulleted list for the optimum processor, video card and amount of ram and hard drives that a typical garage home building PC user should look for?  There are multiple threads in here with huge lists of data for what to look for in RAIDS, and processors but they are very lengthy and seem to tend towards folks with large budgets.  I want to build my next system between $600 and $1000 but I want to try and get the best parts for video editing with Adobe Premier.

Can anyone help?

I just built a machine for my Brother-in-law for $512 and it has some pretty nice equipment but it is really not for video editing.

·        Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Model

·        G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

·        Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified

·        APEX TX-381-C Black Steel  Micro ATX  Tower Computer Case

·        MSI P55M-GD45 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

·        EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

However the mother board came with support for 6 SATA plugs and RAID support for them.  Is that really that much slower than a seperate $200-$500 RAID controller?
        • 1. Re: 2010 best average user PC set up for video editing
          majorvox Level 1

Sorry to reply to my own post so quickly but I missed a couple of things.

What I am looking for are things like Radeon vs Nvidea, INTEL vs. AMD. and in the INTEL for example should I look for the latest I3, I5 or I7?  And what speed.  Multiple video cards?  Or just one.  This kind of info is what I really want.  Thanks!

• 2. Re: 2010 best average user PC set up for video editing
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Intel i7 920 or 930

Asus P6 motherboard

nVidia gtx 285 for HD editing

almost any ATI for SD editing

boot drive

scratch drive

data drive or raid for HD editing

Win7 Pro 64bit

12Gig memory

• 3. Re: 2010 best average user PC set up for video editing
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

John, I generally agree with your list but I sure would like to know the basis for your video choices.  I have not found any real difference between ATI and nVidia for CS4 SD or HDV editing, do you know of any data that would convince me otherwise?  Or is HDV not HD as far as you are concerned?

Majorvox, you failed to tell us what you will be editing, "average user" is not helpful.  There is a major difference between the requirements of handling SD DV and AVCHD etc.  If you will look at my Premiere Pro CS4 Benchmark Results page you will see a wide range of submitted results with lots of different configurations after running my PPBM4 benchmark

• 4. Re: 2010 best average user PC set up for video editing
                Harm Millaard Level 7

You will be hard pressed to fit a decent system into that budget. With approximate prices like this:

CPU i7-930 -  $ 300

Asus P6TDL- $ 300

GTX-285      - $ 400

That leaves you without memory, case, PSU, hard disks, DVD/BR burner, etc.

Better reconsider your budget.

• 5. Re: 2010 best average user PC set up for video editing
                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

the lowest acceptable 1156 processor is the 750 and really the 860.

since the 860 is the same price as the 920 why would you.

the motherboards are about the same price. (within $25-30)

the 530 is garbage is any i3/i5 dual core.

Scott

ADK

• 6. Re: 2010 best average user PC set up for video editing
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CS4 does not use the video card for processing... CS5 **may** do so, if it is a specific model nVidia

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_285_us.html
                    http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2009/11/technology_sneek_peek_adobe_me.html#more
                    http://forums.adobe.com/thread/530490?tstart=0 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/556055?tstart=0
                    To use CUDA must have nVidia GeForce GTX 285 $400 or Quadro FX 4800 $1500 or 5800 or Quadro CX $1800

Added

As far as I know, the CUDA engine is only for HD, so if you are only going to edit SD, a good ATI card is enough (I would buy one with 1Gig of card memory, to use with Photoshop)

Since P-Pro CS5 will be 64bit only, you will also need to have Win7 64bit (I would say Win7 Pro is best) to use CS5 and the CUDA engine

I plan to build a new computer later this year, after CS5 is issued, and **probably** will not buy the nVidia gtx 285 for $400, since I do only SD video for home movie DVD writing... so I am **most likely** go to go with an ATI card of some model for "about" $100 to also be able to use Photoshop

• 7. Re: 2010 best average user PC set up for video editing

John, I doubt that MPE is only valuble for HD.  After all encoding to MPEG 2-DVD or H.264 can be done from any format and (correct me if I wrong) that is one of the features of the Mercury Playback AND Encoding Engine from what I have seen does exactly that.  Of course there is a strong possibility that nVidia may be shortly releasing the GT480/470 cards, I would imagine Adobe has these cards under a NDA.

• 8. Re: 2010 best average user PC set up for video editing
                        majorvox Level 1

Sorry Bill,

A long time ago, in another galaxy I was caught up by the excitement of being able to make videos with some modicum of interest for other people.  The idea of being able to take a video from a day at the hydro races and cut out all the shots of my feet (When I didn't know the camera was rolling), and anything else boring and make a short 4 or 5 minute video that was exciting was intoxicating.

SO I purchased what I could afford, Studio video software and the subsequent upgrades.  The only problem was that even with a really nice high end home machine I suffered all kinds of crashes, stalls, bad rendering and LONG renderings.  Both of the examples I have attached here took pretty much all night to render.  SET to RENDER, then GO TO BED.  Hopefully everything worked out.  These did but many have not or it just took so much of my time that it was not exciting any longer.

Everyone talked about Adobe Premier!  IT is supposed to be the best and work better than anything in it's class.  So I have a copy that my Son and I bought through his college student discount.  He has used it once on his laptop but I have not used it yet.

I still have that older machine and I am in the market to upgrade to a newer machine.  I don't have a HD video camera yet so I am not sure whether I really care about HD it would be nice but my main concern is what hardware would give me the best bang for my buck.  I can spring for the I7 920 chip and I could pick up the GTX 285 video card and a decent amount of ram.  I don't know if I could afford the 12 GB of ram.  Would multiple less expensive video cards by me anything?  Does it use the GPU to process or only the CPU?  I probably afford two 1TB 6G/s 7200 hard drives for video editing but is that the right number?  Would it be better for me to by three 500 GB 3G/s hard drives for RAID?  And I probably would be stuck with using what ever RAID came on my Mobo, so is that worth it?  Or is RAID only worth it if you buy the extra RAID card?

Ultimately if a system combination is out there that will allow me to render 4 minutes of video with some affects, in less time than it takes RIP Van Winkle to wake up I want to know. And it doesn't break my bank that is even better.

Here are those videos that I made.  In the hydro race one I used some aerial shots from a local TV station that my brother-in-law recorded but his over the air reception at that time really sucked.  I used the shots anyway but the just don't look very nice.  Nate Brown is a old school friend of my wife which is why we put together the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZnZ4MsxkQs

This one my wife wanted a video to go with this song by Michael W. Smith so I took a while collecting video excerpts from all kinds of sources and came up with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_iRgcIDxH0

• 9. Re: 2010 best average user PC set up for video editing

Well for your usage does not call for a $350-$400 graphics card.  You probably are not thinking of an immediate upgrade to CS5 when available.  Any old $100-$150 card will be perfect with CS4, or maybe even what you already have. Multiple graphics cards are of no value.

The CPU is the important item.  If you are living within commuting distance of a Microcenter you can get an i7-920 (in store pickup only) for $199.

If you are not using multiple applications simultaneously 6 GB of RAM is perfectly adequate.

Some of the average results on my PPBM Results page use only two disk drives.  Even for a low-end system I might get a 10,000 rpm 150 GB VelociRaptor drive for the OS and one or two 1 TB drives.

You can take a little gamble since it sounds like you are qualified to do a little troubleshooting and get a Asus P6T SE board OPEN BOX unit from Newegg for $155.  I just had to return a board that arrived DOA, but I have had good luck with 5 or 6 other OPEN BOX units I have bought from them over the last several years.

That is around 1 Grand plus you need a case and power supply--about the least I can reccommend for a system that uses current technology.

• 10. Re: 2010 best average user PC set up for video editing
                            majorvox Level 1

Thank you so much for the advice.  Could you possibly tell me what I am looking at for normal rendering time for 4 to 6 minutes of video on CS4?  With the simpler machine parts that you have suggested?  And will I be able to use After Affects with this simpler machine?

And I assume that any of the Geforce 9 series or Radeon HD 5 series are supported by Premier?

And if I want to play video games on this system would I load them to the two 1TB drives running in a RAID format?  Or do I just put them on the 150GB drive?  I'm thinking that I may upgrade to the 300GB drive if I need to keep the TB drives clean and only use them for videos.  150GB just seems like a small hard drive.  I don't know, the Hard Drive issues RAID or not to RAID seem confusing at best.  Everyone does talk about how well the 10,000 RPM drives work compared to the 7,200 RPM drives so that is worth considering.

• 11. Re: 2010 best average user PC set up for video editing

Rendering time is completely dependent on what you are doing, but for instance on my SD DV benchmark which is slightly over 2 min look at the MPEG2_DVD rendering time for a non-overclocked i7-920 and you will see it is approximately 35 seconds.  If you render that same timeline to H.264 if I remember correctly it takes over 2 minutes.  If you start using Maximum render quality characteristics the time shoots up. After Effects

Yes on the graphics cards