10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2010 4:00 PM by the_wine_snob

Mapping audio channels for surround sound in CS4 premier pro

SnowWhite2

In researching the forum on surround sound issues I managed to get myself totally confused so hope someone can straighten me out.

I am trying to put audio in a timeline that would only appear in the rear speakers and when I try to map audio channels all I get to select from are  the  front speakers even though my project settings show all six surround sound speakers. I know the audio channel mappings have to be done before I put the audio in the timeline.  I also read in the forum something about encore will not accept surround sound.  Tell me it isn't so.

What am I missing?

• 1. Re: Mapping audio channels for surround sound in CS4 premier pro
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Encore has to trouble accepting 5.1 AC3 sound, but it requires export from PR using the Surcode plug-in.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mapping audio channels for surround sound in CS4 premier pro
            SnowWhite2 Level 1

Are you saying that I  can define a project with surround sound in Premier Pro but if I want to build a DVD with encore, encore will build the dvd as long as this plug-in passes along the correct parameters?  I am having trouble getting the map audio channels to include rear speakers.  Is this because I don't have this surr-code plug in or is there some other problem I could be having?

Also, I am trying to find out if Adobe sells this plug-in.

• 3. Re: Mapping audio channels for surround sound in CS4 premier pro
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Snow White,

Adobe does not directly sell the Minnetonka SurCode DD 5.1 SS plug-in BUT if you buy it through PrPro, you will save about US$50, over buying it from the Minnetonka Web site - special deal for PrPro users.

Now, in CS4, you will NOT be able to use ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link) for AC3's. You will need to do it the "old-fashioned" way, Exporting elemental steams, i.e. one Video-only and one Audio-only files.

This THREAD might also be of interest to you.

Good luck, and if you have any issues, or questions, do not hesitate to ask,

Hunt

PS - when into Encore, you CANNOT preview DD 5.1 SS. It only acts in "pass through" mode, but WILL write DD 5.1 SS to DVD/BD. You just have to monitor that back in PrPro, and not in Encore.

• 4. Re: Mapping audio channels for surround sound in CS4 premier pro
                SnowWhite2 Level 1

Thanks so much for passing along the thread!!  I am going to try it now and get the sur code plug in.  Do you have any idea if this will be standard in the new ?cs5  Premier Pro?  Or is this surround sound function going to audition ?  By the way, Adobe discusses creating a 5.1 surround sound mix in their Classroom in a book series as if there is no problem or requirement for sur code plug ins.

Am I understanding the subtlety correctly?  I have a logitech G51 surround sound speakers attached to a Soundblaster X-fi titanium sound card on my computer.  This setup  gives me six asio speakers yet Premier pro only shows two speakers unless I get Sur code when I try to map audio channels?

I want to make sure I am not missing something in how my sound card is set  up.

Thanks so much for GREAT help!

• 5. Re: Mapping audio channels for surround sound in CS4 premier pro
                  SnowWhite2 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions on creating a faux 5.1 Surround sound.  I used sterio rear with a little reverb and a bit of attenuation and created a sterio center with a mono submix and backed off the center % a tad.  Then I got the sur code and it worked like a charm.

On to "surrounding myself" with music!

• 6. Re: Mapping audio channels for surround sound in CS4 premier pro
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I rather doubt that the SurCode plug-in will be included in PrPro CS5, unless Adobe bumps up the price of the software by about US$215 (right at what Dolby Labs charges for each installation of the encoder). It has been included as a trial (3 Exports) since at least PrPro 2.0, and that trend continued through CS4. At one time, there were rumors that CS4 included the plug-in, but that was just confusion on the part of some users - they did not read the fine print that all they got was 3 Exports. No sooner did they post that Adobe HAD included it, than they posted back saying that it had shut down, and asking for how to repair it. Well, the answer turned out to be the same, as with PrPro 2.0 and CS3 - buy it and unlock it.

Here is a look at the dialog screen, where you would buy directly through PrPro:

SurCode_Screen.jpg

Note: on my screen, I have just hidden the Key. When that rectangle is really empty, one has the option to buy (or similar syntax). Doing the purchase from within PrPro saves ~ US$50.

Regarding Classroom in a Book PrPro CS4, I am surprised that Curt did not make mention of the need to purchase the plug-in, as he's so very thorough with the details. I'll look at my copy, to see how that was handled. If he's doing CiaB CS5, he might want to make a notation, regarding the need for the purchase of the plug-in, after 3 Exports with the trial.

For the editing, PrPro does not look at your setup for 5.1. It goes with the standards. Now, obviously your equipment and setup will affect playback, but for the editing, PrPro doesn't care what the end-user has for a system.

Now, if PrPro cannot use your system for playback, if you have made the proper settings in Edit>Preference>Audio Hardware>ASIO settings, that is most likely an issue with your ASIO driver. For my Creative 5.1 SS card, I had to go with ASIO4ALL, a free ASIO driver, as PrPro, and Audition, could not access my card via the Creative SB driver. That little driver has helped so many people, with everything from bargain-basement systems, up through pro-gear, and some pretty high-end esoteric stuff at that. The link to that site and that driver is probably high on the "most recommended list" in the Audition forum.

Do take note that in Encore you will NOT be able to monitor DD 5.1 SS (or DTS, or ProLogic II HD), as Encore ONLY allows for Audio pass-through. It writes those formats fine to disc, or to folder, but just cannot monitor it. However, one should be doing all of their monitoring in their NLE, DAW or other audio-editing program. Just an FYI.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Mapping audio channels for surround sound in CS4 premier pro
                      jimbrandt2000

I found this product for 5.1 dolby encoding:

http://www.mainconcept.com/site/prosumer-products-4/mpeg-pro-hd-7850/information-7862.html

$ 149....

Has anyone tried this?  I did the demo and it worked for blue ray with h.264, dolby 5.1 setting

The demo chops the audio after 60 seconds, and the video has their logo, but you can try the demo to get a feel.

You must export using their popups and setting, but it was easy to set up and generate the AV files.

http://downloads.mainconcept.com/mdl/mdl.php?downloads.mainconcept.com+MPEGProHD4_v4.1.1+M PEGProHD4_v4.1.1.zip

image01.JPG

image02.JPG

Let me know,

Jim

• 8. Re: Mapping audio channels for surround sound in CS4 premier pro
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Welcome to the forum.

I have not seen that encoder. Adobe gets most (all?) of its included CODEC's from MainConcept, so I would trust them. I am just not familiar with this product.

Thanks for the H/U,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Mapping audio channels for surround sound in CS4 premier pro
                          jimbrandt2000 Level 1

Thanks for the welcome...

Is there any rason I could not use the package I referred to for generating the 5.1 audio, and CS4 for the video and import them into encore and export to the media I would be interested in burning?

Seems the 3rd party package has good sound genreation(and it can do the video), however, I would prefer CS4 to generate the video.

Would the timelines sync up ok?

Jim

• 10. Re: Mapping audio channels for surround sound in CS4 premier pro
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

There should be no problem, provided that it produces 100% DVD/BD compliant AC3 files.

One would do this by Exporting the Video-only from PrPro and the encoded AV3 from that program (unless it is also an NLE). Then Import the DV-AVI (or 100% DVD-compliant MPEG-2) into Encore as a Timeline, and the AC3 as an Asset. Drag the Audio to the appropriate Timeline and all will be good.

Think it was here, but maybe another similar thread - Encore will NOT preview DD 5.1 SS. It will ONLY preview a stereo emulation. It will, however, pass the DD 5.1 SS to the Build/Burn processes just fine. Just a H/U.

Good luck,

Hunt