5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2010 10:49 AM by Jay Chevako

Export pdf crashes pagemaker

ozworldz Level 1

I am working with one pagemaker document that will NOT export to pdf, Pagemaker crashes. My others export fine (although I have had this problem in the past with other docs). I have tried a variety of things, renaming, moving, removing pics etc. But nothing works.

How can I repair this doc or get it to export? I really don't want to recreate it from scratch (lots of work!!), and I might have the same problem anyway.

Using Pagemaker 6.52 with updated distiller, printer drivers, pdf export plugin etc.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Export pdf crashes pagemaker
          BigJohnD Level 3

Windows? Which version?

PM6.5 is ancient, so updating to PM7.01a will probably solve it and moving on to InDesign certainly will.

Meanwhile these may help:

Recommendations for creating PDF files (PageMaker 7, Acrobat 6 and 7 on Windows)

Export PDF 3.01 Plug-in Update (January 1998) -- English (Note date)

Export… Adobe PDF… is not working

Iechyd da! John
          23:45 15/03/2010 GMT

• 2. Re: Export pdf crashes pagemaker
            ozworldz Level 1

It's interesting that you should say that given that there is a recent thread on this forum entitled "InDesign crashes when exporting to pdf". Whether 6.52 is ancient or not is the issue and shouldn't have anything to do with anything. It is still a quality valid working program only having given me this problem once or twice in the past, a good record for any program. I've been making pdfs in Pagemaker 6.52 for years with perfect success. I thought someone might have a helpful answer as to why one particular file would crash when exporting. This type of thing can happen in any version of any program. I have brand new software which is crap. New does not mean better.

It's a good thing I didn't rush over and buy InDesign to solve my problem

Bottom line, I'll likely have to recreate the document.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Export pdf crashes pagemaker
              Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

ozworldz wrote:

It's interesting that you should say that given that there is a recent thread on this forum entitled "InDesign crashes when exporting to pdf".

You must be much better than me at reading between the lines  -or a much better mind reader than I am- because I cannot see even an indirect mention to such a thread in John's answer -if there is such a thread in this particular forum, which I doubt and don't have the time or the interest to check.

ozworldz wrote:

Whether 6.52 is ancient or not is the issue and shouldn't have anything to do with anything

Yes, as you say, it is the issue. That's why John's first question was about the platform and OS version you are using. You wouldn't try running Wordstar in any recent OS, would you?

ozworldz wrote:

I've been making pdfs in Pagemaker 6.52 for years with perfect success. I thought someone might have a helpful answer as to why one particular file would crash when exporting.

To your first point here: If you have kept your OSs up to date, all I can say is that you have been extremely lucky so far, and perhaps you simply have run out of luck. And to your second point: John gave you three links to possible solutions to your problem. You say nothing about what happened when you tried them; and still keep your platform and OS version as a sacred secret. I am afraid you won't receive much more help here if you persist in not providing sufficient information about your problem, and in not giving any feedback about what help is offered based in the little information that you post.

• 4. Re: Export pdf crashes pagemaker
                BigJohnD Level 3

ozworldz wrote:

It's interesting that you should say that given that there is a recent thread on this forum entitled "InDesign crashes when exporting to pdf". Whether 6.52 is ancient or not is the issue and shouldn't have anything to do with anything. It is still a quality valid working program only having given me this problem once or twice in the past, a good record for any program. I've been making pdfs in Pagemaker 6.52 for years with perfect success. I thought someone might have a helpful answer as to why one particular file would crash when exporting. This type of thing can happen in any version of any program. I have brand new software which is crap. New does not mean better.

It's a good thing I didn't rush over and buy InDesign to solve my problem

Bottom line, I'll likely have to recreate the document.

Thanks.

Who said anything about InDesign crashing when exporting as a PDF?  Anyway, that's a freak event as InDesign has the tools for for creating PDFs built-in and doesn't require Distiller or anything.

As for why one particular file would fail, then you really only have images and fonts to check (see the FAQs I listed above), assuming the process for creating the PDF is otherwise fine.  You could have posted any error message, the Distiller log or indicated precisely what happened when, but you didn't.  We don't even know what OS you are using.  You could have tried to track the fault down to the exact page using an iterative process of dividing the publication in half and Exporting, but you didn't.

If you have PM6.52 installed on anything later than Win2K and "been making pdfs in Pagemaker 6.52 for years with perfect success", then your luck has run out.  PM6.52 is not supported on WinXP or later.

If you're using Win2k or Win98SE, then the only sure option is to re-format your drive and start re-installing everything again from scratch.  That'll cure it.

And finally, if you see InDesign as Pagemaker 8 (or more likely ver 10 or 11 now) then you would have upgraded by now and be wondering why you persisted with PM6.5 for so long, as clearly it's more than creaking at the seams as you have demonstrated.

• 5. Re: Export pdf crashes pagemaker
                  Jay Chevako Level 3

Export (or print and distill) one page at a time and try to isolate where the problem is.  More often than not it is a problem with a graphic.

Jay