8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2010 6:43 PM by el pescado

Flash AIR MP3 Player?

el pescado

Hello,

I posted this under AIR but had no luck in finding an answer.

I am working with an artist who is releasing a new CD.  Is it possible to create an MP3 Player in Flash and distribute it as an AIR app will all songs (say 7-10 tracks) contained in the app?

I believe I read so in Layers Magazine but wasn't sure of the best way to do so.  My thinking was he could email the app as a promotional tool.  But, I am new to AIR.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Flash AIR MP3 Player?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

yes, but you don't really need air for that.  you can create an mp3 player in flash and distribute that (along with the mp3s) so users wouldn't have to install the air runtime.

• 2. Re: Flash AIR MP3 Player?
            el pescado Level 1

Hey Kglad,

Thanks.  Yeah, I was just thinking the AIR app would be a lot cleaner to distribute.  Easy install, uninstall. 

I just wasn't sure if the only way to do it was to import all the tracks (there might be as many as 10) into the Flash file and then use the buttons to control. 

Also, I liked the idea of having a graphic with his name and logo on it on the person's desktop as you launch.  I have seen some of these AIR apps built so that they are dynamic or have live data feeds.  I haven't had a lot of luck finding info on that either.  In other words, if my client had a new CD come out in 6 months and someone already installed the AIR app, we could control the tracks provided dynamically.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Flash AIR MP3 Player?

the problem with air, in your situation, is all your users will need to install the air runtime (so users can install air applications) and they'll need to install your air application.  if most of your users already have air installed on their computers, then installing your app is no big deal.  but if they don't have air installed on their computers, you'll be asking alot for them to install the runtime first and then install your app and i'm not sure your app will be a great enough benefit to users that they'll be willing to do all that.

however, with air you can update the app and allow users to easily download future tracks.

• 4. Re: Flash AIR MP3 Player?
                el pescado Level 1

Hey Kglad,

Yeah, that is where I am going with this.........my thinking was to create a desktop app for the artist.  Users could install it once and we could change hout the tracks.  I would have a photo of the artist with some animation, maybe add news, show updates that kind of thing to the app.

I just have no idea how to build that dynamically.  Does the code call out to a URL?  Would that work.

Also, is your gut that AIR is too much trouble?  I thought the intstal/uninstall looked clean in the tests I have done.

There is a newspaper in London that does a great job of doing this.  They actually use greenscreen video and a girl gives walks out on your screen and gives you the news updates.  Once it's installed, you can click on the icon and get the news updates daily.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Flash AIR MP3 Player?

the only time your app will need to access the internet will be when you check for updates and when you update something (like news or music tracks).

building an air app isn't any different than building a web-based swf app.  you just have some additional classes you can use.

• 6. Re: Flash AIR MP3 Player?
                    el pescado Level 1

OK Kglad, I have been reading all day and now getting that.......cool, thanks for the help.

• 7. Re: Flash AIR MP3 Player?

you're welcome.

• 8. Re: Flash AIR MP3 Player?
                        el pescado Level 1

Hey KGlad,

I started a new post with this MP3 AIR app.

Any reason you can see that it might not be working?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/599305?tstart=0

Thanks.