5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2010 7:07 AM by envirographics

What needs doing to resolve cropped sides on TV viewing ?

envirographics Level 1

Hi,

redoing this post as having typed it and hit send I had an error screen and lost the lot.

Pro CS3

Project size 1152 x 768 still images square pixel aspect ratio taken with canon 20d digital slr.

All of image shows in Premiere pro CS3 project, the resulting avi, having rendered sequence and exported movie plays in windvd with all of picture showing and black bars top and bottom only. Win media player sees black bars top and bott, also black margins left and right. as does TMPGenc authoring works, which I use to make the dvd. They all show the entire image.

TV plays the dvd and we see total of 11% loss of picture in cropping left and right, In 4:3 mode we see all of top and bottom and correctly proportioned humans, but still left and right crop loss of 11%.

TVs used are the 1152 x 768 LCD Panasonic for which the project was for. also a Sony Wega CRT digital. Both are widescreens.

What needs doing to enable all of the still images to be seen and with anatomical correctness ?

Envirographics

• 1. Re: What needs doing to resolve cropped sides on TV viewing ?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

DVD is 720 x 480 NTSC or 720 x 576 PAL. Nothing else. What your TV is, is completely irrelevant, It does not matter if it is 4K, 2K or 180 x 120.

• 2. Re: What needs doing to resolve cropped sides on TV viewing ?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Please give us the complete details of the files from the Canon DSLR. The more info, the better.

When one gets letter boxing, or pillar boxing, and they do not expect that, then there is likely a mismatch in the Project Preset vs the source footage. One needs to match those two 100%, and disregard the output sizes and settings for the moment.

Next, are you doing DVD-Video, or BD? That can also make a difference. If you are going to BD, please take a look at this chart from the Encore FAQ.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: What needs doing to resolve cropped sides on TV viewing ?
              envirographics Level 1

Harm wrote:-

DVD is 720 x 480 NTSC or 720 x 576 PAL. Nothing else. What your TV is, is completely irrelevant, It does not matter if it is 4K, 2K or 180 x 120.

Hi,

so to make a video from stills for a HD ready TV I need to choose new project 720x576 PAL. (being UK)

As the clients TV is PAL and the new generation of high resolution LCD, HD ready, the native resolution is 1152 x 768 pixels according to the manual, if an image 720 pixels wide is sent to it, this will display on it filling the screen width then. ..and there was I thinking that to make use of this screen, it needs a 1152 px wide image.

I had based this upon reading somewhere that a still image of 1152x768 would display perfectly on a TV of that resolution, just like an image 1024x768px would fill out the entire screen area of a PC monitor set to run at 1024x768.

I need to be choosing a project size of 720 x 576 PAL in that case, do I understand this correctly ?

As such I may as well resize the Canon 20D photos to those dimensions as photoshop algorithms are better at this than letting Premiere attempt this.

The original pics are 3504 x 2336 square pixel (not sure Bill what other details you require of these). I resampled/resized them down to 1152x768 as stills for his TV of that resolution for displaying them from a data CD. That worked fine.

I have trouble though getting my head around the fact that this HD ready TV when receiving a  720pixel wide image will fill out the screen without cropping edges off the image and display just as fine an image as if it were fed a 1152 wide jpg image. We have fed it 1152px images as jpg and they fill the screen. Perhaps the TV is throwing away all but 720px of such. Feeding it jpgs is one thing, but a video, that needs to follow video rules, and for HD Ready its 720x576.  Do I understand this correctly ?

The resolution though of 720 x 576 sounds like what I use for my non HD type CRT TV. My camcorder is 1280 x 960px movie but I always choose Pal Standard 48hz in premiere which says 720 x 576. Now having learnt that I should be choosing a preset project setting that represents the input size, not the output size, I need to revise that approach also I suppose, though it has worked for me so far for the camcorder. I see HDV 1280 x 720, but my camcorder was made before HD TV was out. My videos look fine with the PAL 720x576 choice though.

Bill, you say

Project Preset vs the source footage. One needs to match those two 100%, and disregard the output sizes and settings for the moment.

I chose custom project and desktop and typed in 1152 x 768, knowing the images were of size I had created in photoshop of 1152 x 768.

Next, are you doing DVD-Video, or BD? That can also make a difference. If you are going to BD, please take a look at this chart from the Encore FAQ.

Just normal dvd video. and trying to do so for a HD Ready Panasonic LCD TV of 16:9 with native resolution 1152 x 768. Thats slightly less than other HD Ready TVs I see of 1366 x 768.

Bottom line then, choose 720x576 project PAL 48Khz and drop the 1152x768 stills into this, export as movie and burn a disc via authoring prog, this will play without any loss of image at left or right on a HD ready TV and give a fine picture, as good as 152x768 stills viewed from a jpg disc.

Envirographics

• 4. Re: What needs doing to resolve cropped sides on TV viewing ?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Broadcast transmissions are generally done in one of three (PAL) resolutions: SD 720 x 576, HD 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080. All transmissions are acceptable to all TV's, even when they do not have that native resolution. That is why the electronics in a TV contain scalers to fit the received image to the displayable image. That is why it is utterly irrelevant what the native resolution of a TV is. The scaler will take care of that. Only focus on your delivery medium, DVD or BRD. For the rest forget it, or start studying.

• 5. Re: What needs doing to resolve cropped sides on TV viewing ?
                  envirographics Level 1

Hi,

I shall for his HD Ready TV try all three of those resolutions, drawing a test grid of those sizes in Pshop to see which gives a result with no cropping at sides, and with best image quality. I would think the 1280x720 would suffice. I just dont see anything on this aspect of making videos from stills to be read on the net, perhaps I have looked in the wrong places. As a last resort I come to the forum for help.

Am I correct in using square pixels for these ?

On a side note...

I did buy the full premiere CS3 program and had two free tech calls as an incentive to buy and not go pirate copy, though trying to use the first of them when I had a real problem sees denial, as CS4 is out and kills any support entitlement for CS3. Just wish Adobe would honour the two calls until they are used.

I didnt want to waste them on any old question but on a good question, as such I have lost them.

Grateful for whatever help the forum gives, I am told its my only support avenue by the tech guy in India,..tricky accent to understand on tricky tech questions and answers.

I hope this resolves the cropping of sides issue.

Envirographics