7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2010 1:39 AM by Mylenium

Exporting out of Illustrator

ariecht Level 1

I've created a 300 x 250 pixel document (72 dpi) in Illustrator. It is for an email newsletter ad where they require a Jpg no larger than 20k. When I convert it to jpeg (via export option), the resulting file opens in Photoshop, and is 1252 x 1044 pixels, 300 dpi, 3.74 MB.

Why does exporting the file change its original dimensions set in Illustrator?

If I then scale that Photoshop file back down to 300 x 250 pixels, it looks terrible. The type is blurry.

How can I maintain a clean, crisp image?

• 1. Re: Exporting out of Illustrator
          JETalmage Level 6

Well, what were the JPEG export settings set to when you exported?

JET

• 2. Re: Exporting out of Illustrator
            ariecht Level 1

If I set the Jpg export options to:

quality:5

baseline standard

depth: screen, 72 dpi...

the resulting jpeg opens in photoshop as 301 x 251, so much closer than the original attempt, where I must have had it set to 300 dpi. However, as you see in the attached jpg, the type still looks very bad.

test home.jpg

Is there anyway to retain the sharpness of the original Illustrator file, which was setup as 72 dpi, and get it into jpg format?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

• 3. Re: Exporting out of Illustrator
              shunithD Level 3

1/ If you have Photoshop, take that content into PS... make sure the image size is correct and export / Save for Web

2/ If you dont have PS and have to do it in Illustrator... try and ensure that the artboard is the same size as the final result rquired. Then Save for Web & Devices. Ensure your quality is cranked up a bit. (Select 'Good'... should look ok.)

However, given that you have no continuous tone images, drop shadows, etc., you might like to try saving as .gif as well. You may achieve a smaller file size. I'm not suggesting .png as i'm not sure what the end purpose is and some of the older browsers have problems with .png files.

Edit: Sorry, I see it's for an html based news letter. Suggest you don't go the .png route for reason mentioned above except, include email clients as well!!

• 4. Re: Exporting out of Illustrator
                ariecht Level 1

I do have Photoshop, but bringing in the content from Ilustrator results in text and image that is blurry.

Your suggestion #2 (Save as for web in Illustrator) seems to have produced best results.

Thank you.

• 5. Re: Exporting out of Illustrator
                  shunithD Level 3

ariecht wrote:

I do have Photoshop, but bringing in the content from Ilustrator results in text and image that is blurry.

Shouldn't be...

1/ set up the file in the correct dimensions in PS - RGB @ 72 ppi (or you can have a couple of pixels more on all sides)

2/ Copy all in AI and paste in PS. Retail as a vector smart object. Makes sure it's all centered (then crop to exact size if it's a bit larger

3/ Save to Web & Devices... remember to keep the quality level up...

Your suggestion #2 (Save as for web in Illustrator) seems to have produced best results.

Thank you.

Welcome... and glad you got it working...

• 6. Re: Exporting out of Illustrator
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I tried to duplicate your first results and could not I found by selecting web document it is the best way to do this  from the beginning my only thought on what might be happening is that if you start with a print document it sets by defaut the raster image effects at of all things 300ppi.

So it might be changing the output to 300 ppi even if you do not use raster image effects.

In the New Document dialog if you expand the dialog where it says advance you can change that setting from the outset to 72 ppi which is what you need it to be.

I personally think that if you are exporting to a jpeg it might warn you of this setting although a lot of print people would complain that they are losing valuable tie with such a warning popping up al the time even though they are not like to choose jpeg as a file format.

I am not certain that is the cause of the problem as I make a web document if I am working for the web and print if I am working for print.

• 7. Re: Exporting out of Illustrator
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Is there anyway to retain the sharpness of the original Illustrator file, which was setup as 72 dpi, and get it into jpg format?

Increase the quality level (data size) or use the PNG format. The rest is slightly beside the point - you are asking to resolve a paradox. these issues are inherent in how JPEG compression works.

Mylenium