16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2010 12:04 PM by the_wine_snob

Export Full Screen WMV (PP CS4)

theronin420

I'm trying to export to a wmv format but when I play the video file, the dimensions stay fixed rather than expanding with the window if I maximize it.

What settings do I need to change in PP or Encore to allow the video to expand.

The source file is actually a wmv (I've just shortened it) and it expands along with the window. I've tried exporting the shortened video using the same dimensions as the source (changing the settings in PP) and it still has the same small and fixed dimensions.

Yes, the resolution deteriorates obviously but that's ok.

Thank you for any advice.

• 1. Re: Export Full Screen WMV (PP CS4)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

WMV is a very broad format, and allows for a lot of different settings. Exactly what are you Exporting to, and with?

What are the exact specs of the source files?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Export Full Screen WMV (PP CS4)
            theronin420 Level 1

Hi Bill,

I just want to clarify my problem.  When I open the source wmv file in Windows Media Player, I can expand the window or make it full screen and the video also expands.  When I try to do the same thing with the exported wmv file, the video itself remains fixed width and height when I expand or make the window full screen.

The source file is also wmv.  The specs of the file are:

Frame width:  1024

Frame height:  576

Data rate:  3072kbps

Total bitrate:  3104jbps

Frame rate:  25 frames/second

All I've done was to remove some footage to shorten the runtime of the source file.  Specifically, I imported the source wmv into a new PP project and cut out portions of it.

I clicked on File / Export and used the following specs:

Format:  Windows Media

Under the Video tab:

Codec:  Windows Media Video 9

Allow Interlaced Processing [unchecked]

Encoding Passes:  Two

Bitrate Mode:  Variable Unconstrained

Frame Width:  1024

Frame Height:  576

Frame Rate:  25

Pixel Aspect Ratio:  D1/DV NTSC (0.9091)

Please let me know if you want more information.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Export Full Screen WMV (PP CS4)
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I followed the exact problem (sometimes unlikely for me ), but wonder about your Project Preset and how compatible it is with that Imported source footage. That can create issues. Does your Project/Sequence match those specs. 100%?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Export Full Screen WMV (PP CS4)
                theronin420 Level 1

Bill, that was exactly it.  Thank you for bearing with me on this.

I've since purchased Adobe's Classroom in a Book for Premiere Pro CS4.  My problem was so sophmoric I knew I had to get something to help me learn this program.

Thanks again for your help.

• 5. Re: Export Full Screen WMV (PP CS4)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome, and glad that we had the answer.

Even with many readings of the manual, and working through CiaB, I still often have questions, so I come here. Unfortunately, most instructional books will tell one what to do, and seldom what NOT to do.

BTW - you will enjoy CiaB PrPro CS4. Well-written and very useful. It goes beyond what some of the other CiaB series do, in that the author covers a lot of the "why," and not just the "how."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Export Full Screen WMV (PP CS4)
                    theronin420 Level 1

Indeed ... I also went ahead and bought the CiaB for After Effects. I’ve been devouring the lessons.

I do have one follow-up question. How can I tell specifically what video format I am using? Currently I’m simply right-clicking (using a PC) on the video file and looking at the details to give me resolution and audio quality. I’m then matching that information the best I can to the project presets.

In terms of camera, I’m not using anything crazy like that P2 high def format in the lesson. I’m using regular, standard definition consumer cameras specifically a Panasonic SDR-SW21 and a GoPro SD Wrist Camera (yes, lots of outdoors / in water / underwater footage).

• 7. Re: Export Full Screen WMV (PP CS4)
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

To get the most details, I like the great, free utility, G-SPOT. It will tell you many things about any footage, though is better with AVI and MPEG. It falls a bit short with many MOV and WMV containers. I expect to see this improved in the next iteration. I probably recommend it more than any other application. Maybe I should put it into my signature...

Now, many of the GoPro cameras use Xvid as the CODEC to compress the signal into a small file. That is not a good CODEC, IMHO. I would plan on converting that to DV-AVI Type II. I use a shareware converter, DigitalMedia Converter, as it does a great job for me, and offers batch conversion from mixed Assets, quickly. I do not know about your model, but G-Spot will tell you.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - there are many freeware converters. Prism gets some high marks, but I have never used it.

• 8. Re: Export Full Screen WMV (PP CS4)
                        JeremyEden

Hi, I'm having the same problem. But I don't know how to check or change the specs. Could somebody give me step by step instructions, please?

Also it doesn't matter what format I export to, I just need to get this video up on youtube, preferably tonight. Thanks!

• 9. Re: Export Full Screen WMV (PP CS4)
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

By "changing the specs.," do you mean setting up a Desktop Sequence and customizing the settings?

Let us know exactly what you are trying to do.

Thanks and good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Export Full Screen WMV (PP CS4)
                            JeremyEden Level 1

Sorry, I'm really new to this program and don't know what you mean by "desktop sequence."

When I say changing the specs, I mean I don't know how to change the settings I started the project in, so that I can make the export settings match them...or something? I don't know!

I did more searching and found this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2653703 but I'm not sure if that will help me.

Here's what I'm doing: I downloaded two videos off youtube (via KeepVid) in MP4 form. I play them in Windows Media Player and Windows Movie Maker and they fill the whole screen like they should. But I bring them in Premiere (I select DV - NTSC, Standard 48khz) and the video is small with the black border around it. I go to export and try clicking a bunch of things randomly to try and change it but to no avail.

Need more info?

• 11. Re: Export Full Screen WMV (PP CS4)
                              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sequence settings should match your source footage - yours don't.  When you've exported, you have a bunch of black around the edges, and when you go to full screen, it does, but it looks like it doesn't.

• 12. Re: Export Full Screen WMV (PP CS4)
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

The Desktop Preset is a bit of a misnomer. I feel that it should be called "Custom," as it allows one to adjust the attributes of a New Sequence. However, the name has been around for a bit.

With all other Presets, the attributes are locked. One must choose one that matches the footage. When one of those does not exist, then the Desktop Sequence (Project Preset before CS4) is used. One then gets to fill in, or adjust all attributes to match the source footage 100%

You are not matching your YouTube footage 100%. G-Spot, the great, free utility will give you the details. Copy those down, and then fill in/change all necessary attributes.

When you have your Sequence setup properly, you will not have the Frame Size issues.

Now, material from YouTube is not really designed to be edited, as it is very heavily compressed and designed from streaming playback, but that is a different side to the issue. That is about quality (and © issues, but that is for a different thread).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Export Full Screen WMV (PP CS4)
                                  JeremyEden Level 1

Well I tried doin the Gspot thing, I opened the videos in there and saw a whole bunch of numbers n stuff that I really have no idea what to do with. The two videos were both different sizes (what if they're completely different?) So anyway the whole thing just seemed way too coomplicated so I just made the video in Windows Movie Maker, which was very frustrating and it crashed on me 3 times. But man, PP is unbelievably (and seemingly unnecessarily) more difficult and complicated than WMM.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

• 14. Re: Export Full Screen WMV (PP CS4)
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

In the end, the NLE is but a tool. I have several, though PrPro sees the vast majority of my work. It is extremely powerful, but with that power comes more user interaction. A good example is the little-brother, PrElements. It is a big-button solution program, with tons of Presets and stock ways of doing things. The user has fewer places to interact and customize things. I find this horribly limiting, but so very many love the simplicity.

Glad that you got it handled, and thank you for reporting,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Export Full Screen WMV (PP CS4)
                                      JeremyEden Level 1

Man, I didn't even know about Elements! I just checked it out and I think it's exactly what I want: simplicity with multiple video & audio layers.

I'm going to buy it. Thanks!

• 16. Re: Export Full Screen WMV (PP CS4)
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE is a very good program, and is very fairly priced. Most users really like the simplicity, but many love the extra power of PrPro.

Now, one thing to remember is that PrE is based on the same workflow, that PrPro is. However, it does handle more consumer formats, better than PrPro. It had both AVCHD and VOB Import, well before PrPro did.

Good luck,

Hunt