6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2010 7:26 AM by Harm Millaard

Playback pixelated

tarynmary Level 1

Hi

I am relatively new to premiere pro (normally a final cut user) however i have been given a premiere file with all the footage etc, my job is to make it look 'pretty' and smooth. 

I have worked on this file before and never had this problem....  Basically when i press play for the playback the HD footage goes really pixelated and blurred.  But when i stop it, it goes back to being very crisp.  The sound is fine. Rendering it also makes no difference at all. Sequence settings are: 720x576 16:9 widescreen DV Pal.  i 'think' i have tried changing the playback settings to high etc and makes no diff - however, i am new to premiere pro so i may have been changing random settings...

I have tried searching for an answer - and graphic card drivers was the only thing that came up.  I have worked on the very same file before with no probs and i have a brand new imac i5 so i dont think its that...

Sorry if this is a very simple answer (or operator error!!)...would appreciate some help

xTx

• 1. Re: Playback pixelated
          Harm Millaard Level 7

What is the reason you edit HD material in a SD preset?

Basically when i press play for the playback the HD footage goes really pixelated and blurred.  But when i stop it, it goes back to being very crisp.  The sound is fine. Rendering it also makes no difference at all. Sequence settings are: 720x576 16:9 widescreen DV Pal.

What codec is used in your material?

• 2. Re: Playback pixelated
            tarynmary Level 1

Just how it was given me - i think original footage was taken from a small handheld camera not the pro ones.  Also - I think it has been captured into DV... I thought dv was fine to do in sd preset, am i wrong?  I have just taken a screen shot of the sequence settings and the movie inspector of one of the clips used in the project.. hope this helps

Screen shot 2010-03-16 at 12.40.04.png

Screen shot 2010-03-16 at 12.43.26.png

its going to be used on the web ultimately and secondary to be put onto a dvd and get sent to africa (charity project).

thanks

xTx

• 3. Re: Playback pixelated
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Thanks for clearing that up. SD source material in a SD sequence. Nothing wrong here. How does the video look when played on a properly calibrated monitor? The program panel is just for previews and can not be used for quality judgements. You need an external monitor for that. Can you post a screenshot so we can see the degree of pixelation?

• 4. Re: Playback pixelated
                tarynmary Level 1

Ah thats alright then.  I haven't got a propely calibrated monitor but have never used one on this project, yet the quality has still changed.  I know the program panel is just for previews but i am just baffled at why it was fine up until now (+2months of working on it)  and now it is not...  Below is a screenshot of the video when being played and tehn when its stopped.  I just find it frustrating to edit when its like this.

playing:

Screen shot 2010-03-16 at 13.41.52.png

stopped:

Screen shot 2010-03-16 at 13.42.04.png

Thanks so much for your replies.

xTx

• 5. Re: Playback pixelated
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

What it looks like is the jaggies from interlaced material displayed on a progressive monitor. It may be that updating the video driver has aggravated this issue.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Playback pixelated
                    tarynmary Level 1

Ah ok - Just worked it out! Had a big update the other day which explains the change. Thanks very much for your help! Really appreciated.