2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2010 9:02 AM by andyrenae

What AVCHD setting should I select?

andyrenae

My video footage is AVCHD format.  I will publish my final project to a DVD for standard DVD players rather than Blue Ray. I also want standard rather than wide screen and NTSD rather than PAL.  Which setting should I select for my project:  Full HD 1080i 30, Full HD 1080i 30 5:1, HDV 1080i 30 or HDV 1080i 30 5.1 channel.  Or, do I choose standard NTSD?

My computer: HP Pavillio Elite HPE-180tPC

Processor: Intel Core i7-920 quad-core [2.66 GHz, 1MB L2 +8MB shared L3 Cache

Hard Drive: 8 GB DDR3-1066 MHz SDRAM [4DIMMs]

Video Card: 1 GB NVIDIA Ge Forece GT 220

• 1. Re: What AVCHD setting should I select?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Does your camera record the Audio as DD 5.1 SS? If so, that will determine which version of the AVCHD Preset you will choose. You will have little issues, if you do not accommodate that Audio format. In your case, you can let PrE do the down-sampling to SD.

Also, does your camera allow you to set 4:3, in lieu of 16:9? Does it allow you to record stereo (2-channel), in lieu of DD 5.1 SS? Does it allow for down-sampling in the camera? The more that you can do in-camera, the better off you will be.

As an aside, I would not use DD 5.1 SS in camera, if it's possible to choose 2-channel. DD 5.1 SS from the camera is a gimmick in my book, and causes more problems, later on. To record multi-channel Audio, that is clean, is a big undertaking, requiring 6 specialized mics, a mixing console and a multi-channel recorder. It is best done by a skilled sound crew. I have never heard on-camera 5.1 that was at all useful. Either 1-channel (Mono), or 2-channel (Stereo, or dual-Mono) would be better choices. Usually, one wants to isolate the Audio, and NOT include extraneous signals. That is how the pros do it.

Let us know about your camera, and which settings you can use with it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: What AVCHD setting should I select?
            andyrenae Level 1

My camera is Sony HDR-XR500V -  I recorded in the HD  default setting with

only the camera mic. I believe it recorded in 5:1 because I didn't change

the selection.  I do have the option to change to 2 channel but I didn't

know that when I started!  I cannot find any way to down sample in the

camera.  I cannot find any way to down sample in the camera.