12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2010 5:29 AM by rwcarruthers

pdf's don't open in MS Outlook

pente123 Level 1

when opening

ATCH IN ms UTLOOK, WORD DOC OPEN FINE, PDF'S DON'T, MUST SAVE PDF, GO INTO ADOBE READER AND THEN FIND SAVED FILE. MUST BE SOMETHING SIMPLE TO CORRECT THIS. THANKS

• 1. Re: pdf's don't open in MS Outlook
          pwillener Level 8

That sounds like a file association is not correctly set.  Open a command prompt and type

assoc .pdf

What is the reply from this command?

• 2. Re: pdf's don't open in MS Outlook
            ajextang Level 1

Save the pdf to your desktop (or select one already there), right click and choose "open with". Click "choose default program" if Adobe Reader is not listed (if it is click it). Most likely you will find it in this path: "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader (8,9 etc.)  Then select the check box that states "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file". - click OK. Now they should open.

Cheers!

• 3. Re: pdf's don't open in MS Outlook
              pente123 Level 1

Aren't you the smart one, works like a charm, and all the pdf's now have a

small adobe icon next to them in my emails where there was none before.

All the Best!

Kenn Riordan, Jr.

• 4. Re: pdf's don't open in MS Outlook
                pente123 Level 1

This was the answer, thanks so much for trying to help. KAR

Save the pdf to your desktop (or select one already there), right click and

choose "open with". Click "choose default program" if Adobe Reader is not

listed (if it is click it). Most likely you will find it in this path:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader (8,9 etc.)  Then select the check box that

states "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file". - click

OK. Now they should open. Cheers!

All the Best!

Kenn Riordan, Jr.

• 5. Re: pdf's don't open in MS Outlook
                  ajextang Level 1

Thanks, can you click to award points on the thread?

Cheers!

C

• 6. Re: pdf's don't open in MS Outlook
                    pente123 Level 1

I'd be happy to do that, just don't know how. Where do you go to award?

All the Best!

Kenn Riordan, Jr.

• 7. Re: pdf's don't open in MS Outlook
                      ajextang Level 1

Thought, I saw it near the top of your question.

• 8. Re: pdf's don't open in MS Outlook
                        jano215 Level 1

I have the same problem, i.e. PDF files can not be opened if they are in an application. There are two kind of error messages:

- the file "name.pdf" can not be launched or

- the file is not associated with any program.

Of course that I had checked and reestablished the file association with the Adobe reader (as the PDF-file lying outside the application opens normally, it follows that the association works), I have uninstalled the adobe reader and reinstalled it and associated the PDF-files with the adobe reader again; nothing got better, i.e. PDF files can not be opened.

Notably, If I make a hypertext association of a character string in Word with a PDF file, I get the mentioned error message, i.e. "the file is not associated with any program", while the PDF-file copied into the Word document can be launched normally.

I would appreciate any advice. If not, anyway, thanks for the reading these lines.

• 9. Re: pdf's don't open in MS Outlook
                          ajextang Level 1

If you Right click on an Adobe File and go to the general tab.  What

application does it state it opens with?

• 10. Re: pdf's don't open in MS Outlook
                            pente123 Level 1

Here is the answer:

Save the pdf to your desktop (or select one already there), right click and

choose "open with". Click "choose default program" if Adobe Reader is not

listed (if it is click it). Most likely you will find it in this path:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader (8,9 etc.)  Then select the check box that

states "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file". - click

OK. Now they should open. Cheers!

All the Best!

Kenn Riordan, Jr.

• 12. Re: pdf's don't open in MS Outlook
                              rwcarruthers Level 1

No problem double clicking a saved local pdf file to open it, but if it is an email attachment or a link in a web page, "The file does not have a program  associated with it for performing this action..." is the result.

Microsoft Answers provided a registry change to solve the same issue with Powerpoint Viewer.

Locate the following registry key.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PowerPointViewer.SlideShow.12\shell\Show

Please rename "Show" to "Open".

Repeat the same step on the following registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PowerPointViewer.Show.12\shell\Show

What registry key would I change to fix this for Adobe Reader?

Thanks

Ron Carruthers