16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2007 10:50 AM by Newsgroup_User

Liquid css design help

SisAndi Level 1
      Hello All!

I thought I had done this right but apparently not. Client is complaining that the site is too "small" and wants design larger. I thought this was a "liquid" design that would change sizes as monitors or screen resolution did. What did I do wrong?

www.nsbcustomjewelry.com

Thanks !
        • 1. Re: Liquid css design help
          Level 7
          Where to begin? It's a fixed-size layout. Not sure why you expected it to
          magically fit-to-screen.

An easy way to test it on your end before delivering to the client is to
          simply stretch the browser window during previews to various heights and
          widths. Didn't you even *try* this before delivering the design to the
          client?

"SisAndi" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fc4ir0$keg$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hello All!
          >
          > I thought I had done this right but apparently not. Client is complaining
          > that the site is too "small" and wants design larger. I thought this was
          > a
          > "liquid" design that would change sizes as monitors or screen resolution
          > did.
          > What did I do wrong?
          >
          > www.nsbcustomjewelry.com
          >
          > Thanks !
          >

• 2. Re: Liquid css design help
            SisAndi Level 1
            Thank you for that thoughtful, helpful answer.

This site has been live for about four months now, (all bought and paid for, even though she can't seem to finish the last few sections) and the client is just now offering me this comment. I asked her to check her screen resolution and that seems to be above her skills level.

Anyone else out there that can point me in the right direction?
            • 3. Re: Liquid css design help
              Level 7
              On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 23:42:53 +0000 (UTC), "SisAndi"
              <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Thank you for that thoughtful, helpful answer.
              >
              > This site has been live for about four months now, (all bought and paid for,
              >even though she can't seem to finish the last few sections) and the client is
              >just now offering me this comment. I asked her to check her screen resolution
              >and that seems to be above her skills level.
              >
              > Anyone else out there that can point me in the right direction?

I would start by changing a COPY of the site.

Change #container width to 85-90%.

Play with the header image. I don't see a way to slice it to expand
              with the gradient running horizontally, but if you make the gradient
              vertical, you can slice that image.

That should get you started.
              • 4. Re: Liquid css design help
                SisAndi Level 1
                Thank you - that was a big help. I've got a lot of tweaking to do tomorrow but here's a new look:

www.nsbcustomjewelry.com/index2.shtml

Second Question - How can I get the design to always be centered (left to right) on the screen?
                • 5. Re: Liquid css design help
                  Level 7
                  look at this:
                  http://www.alistapart.com/articles/multicolumnlayouts

there is code there, and links to other code examples

Good Luck

Jeff

news:fc4ir0$keg$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Hello All!
                  >
                  > I thought I had done this right but apparently not. Client is complaining
                  > that the site is too "small" and wants design larger. I thought this was
                  > a
                  > "liquid" design that would change sizes as monitors or screen resolution
                  > did.
                  > What did I do wrong?
                  >
                  > www.nsbcustomjewelry.com
                  >
                  > Thanks !
                  >

• 6. Re: Liquid css design help
                    Level 7
                    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 01:08:58 +0000 (UTC), "SisAndi"

>Thank you - that was a big help. I've got a lot of tweaking to do tomorrow but
                    >here's a new look:
                    >
                    > www.nsbcustomjewelry.com/index2.shtml
                    >
                    > Second Question - How can I get the design to always be centered (left to
                    >right) on the screen?

#container {
                    border: thin dotted #6600FF;
                    width: 90%;
                    margin: 0 auto;
                    }

Lose the rest of that definition and see how it works.
                    • 7. Re: Liquid css design help
                      SisAndi Level 1
                      Thanks to all! I've got my work cut out for me tomorrow but now know what to do!

Andi
                      • 8. Re: Liquid css design help
                        SisAndi Level 1
                        Final (hopefully) question - How to get the design to expand to fit the browser window top to bottom. I would like to maintain the center information (with a scroll bar) and tile the background on the left and right navs to fill in the space as needed. I tried using percentages, but unless I give the center div a fixed height it expands with no overflow to a scroll bar AND the background on the right and left navs doesn't fill in (even tho I've got it set to repeat)?
                        • 9. Re: Liquid css design help
                          Level 7
                          On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:20:48 +0000 (UTC), "SisAndi"

>Final (hopefully) question - How to get the design to expand to fit the browser
                          >window top to bottom.

Add enough content to make it so.

> I would like to maintain the center information (with a
                          >scroll bar) and tile the background on the left and right navs to fill in the
                          >space as needed. I tried using percentages, but unless I give the center div a
                          >fixed height it expands with no overflow to a scroll bar AND the background on
                          >the right and left navs doesn't fill in (even tho I've got it set to repeat)?

Just my opinion, but I hate those scrollbars. I expect scrollbars on
                          the edges of my browser and each time I change pages on your site, I
                          have to hunt down additional scrollbars.

If you want the content to fill the window and not have vertical
                          scrolling, then you want to use Flash, which has plenty of drawbacks.
                          If it were me, I would ditch the iframes and present the information
                          with the viewer in mind. Let them read the content and don't make the
                          hunt for scrollbars.

You now have a horizontal scrollbar at less than 1024 x 768. Why do
                          you feel the need for margins on #container? If container is 770px
                          wide and my resolution is 800 x 600, the padding adds scrollbars.
                          • 10. Re: Liquid css design help
                            Level 7

"Mike J.S." <no@spam.com> wrote in message
                            news:fc4j7q$ks9$1@forums.macromedia.com...

> Didn't you even *try* this before delivering the design to the client?

And you have paying clients?!

--
                            Patty Ayers | Adobe Community Expert
                            www.WebDevBiz.com
                            Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                            Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                            --

• 11. Re: Liquid css design help
                              Level 7

news:fc4kpt$mgc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Thank you for that thoughtful, helpful answer.

I sure hope that wasn't sarcasm towards Mike J.S.'s reply. It is hard to
                              know where to start with a question like yours, and his question was
                              entirely pertinent.

--
                              www.WebDevBiz.com
                              --

• 12. Re: Liquid css design help
                                SisAndi Level 1
                                I am 100% with you on your comments. But this is the design that the client wanted. Her problem now (4+ months later...) is simply making it look good on HER monitor (which is very large) and I'm trying to accommodate this. In looking at her stats only 2% of visitors were at 800X600 and yes, I do know that they have a scroll bar. Thank you so much for your comments and help.
                                • 13. Re: Liquid css design help
                                  SisAndi Level 1
                                  Perhaps -- but Mister Mustard and Jeff had very helpful answers that got me through the initial thought process of how to make the site more liquid. I didn't realize this forum was for criticism instead of help. While I'm all about constructive criticism, if you can't follow it with some help, then what's the point?
                                  • 14. Re: Liquid css design help
                                    Level 7

news:fc6b57$m3m$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > Perhaps -- but Mister Mustard and Jeff had very helpful answers that got
                                    > me
                                    > through the initial thought process of how to make the site more liquid.
                                    > I
                                    > didn't realize this forum was for criticism instead of help. While I'm
                                    > all
                                    > about constructive criticism, if you can't follow it with some help, then
                                    > what's the point?

True, but what Mike pointed out should have been helpful in and of itself,
                                    if a little painful! I'm glad you got the rest of the help you needed as
                                    well.

--
                                    www.WebDevBiz.com
                                    --

• 15. Re: Liquid css design help
                                      Level 7
                                      On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:43:01 -0400, "P@tty Ayers ~ACE"
                                      <pattyayersTAKETHISOUT@REMOVEgmail.com> wrote:

>
                                      >"SisAndi" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                      >news:fc4kpt$mgc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      >> Thank you for that thoughtful, helpful answer.
                                      >
                                      >I sure hope that wasn't sarcasm towards Mike J.S.'s reply. It is hard to
                                      >know where to start with a question like yours, and his question was
                                      >entirely pertinent.
                                      >
                                      >--
                                      >Patty Ayers | Adobe Community Expert
                                      >www.WebDevBiz.com
                                      >Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                                      >Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet

Where I think that where we should start with a question like hers is
                                      from a place of understanding. No matter how good each of us has
                                      become, we can all remember when we didn't know padding from margin.
                                      and we didn't know how to test our sites.

SisAndi's "Thank you for that thoughtful, helpful answer" was far more
                                      tender than Mike's post, even though he was 110% accurate and not at
                                      all mean. Let us presume that SisAndi has purchased some Adobe
                                      software and that some of the forum participants are here to help her
                                      and others. Shall we do that or shall we send her to some FrontPage
                                      forum where people might be nicer?
                                      • 16. Re: Liquid css design help
                                        Level 7
                                        On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:05:36 +0000 (UTC), "SisAndi"

>I am 100% with you on your comments. But this is the design that the client
                                        >wanted.

Fair enough, but just FYI, I feel that a large part of my job is to
                                        educate my clients. If they knew how to build a website, they wouldn't
                                        call me. In the end, it is my customers' website visitors I am really
                                        trying to please and I tell my clients this. Some listen and some do
                                        not.

> Her problem now (4+ months later...) is simply making it look good on
                                        >HER monitor (which is very large) and I'm trying to accommodate this. In
                                        >looking at her stats only 2% of visitors were at 800X600 and yes, I do know
                                        >that they have a scroll bar. Thank you so much for your comments and help.

You're welcome.

While only 2% may use 800 x 600, how many have their browser
                                        maximized? You will never know.

I use dual monitors and I often have several things in view on the
                                        1152 x 864 screen. I can't make any guarantees, but I bet the vast
                                        majority of folks with super-high resolutions are not in the habit of
                                        maximizing everything... but I could be wrong.

I wonder if your client maximizes her screen all the time, or only
                                        when she is nitpicking her site?

I hope this helps, good luck!