5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2010 1:01 PM by the_wine_snob

Limited functionality in trial version?

ErikT408

Hi,

I have recently installed Premiere Elements 8, and after trying it out, I'm seriously considering buying it. But – I'd like to see it completely working first.

1. I have set the Project Settings Pixel Aspect Ratio to PAL widescreen 16:9, but on all previews, the aspect ratio is as the original pixel resolution is on the camera (5:4). So people appear really, really tall and thin. Shouldn't it be "spread out" to 16:9?
      2. To see how the aspect ratio would be on a DVD, I wanted to burn one, just as an experiment. So I select the SHARE menu, and then Disc. Premiere Elements finds the DVD burner all right, and most of the settings look fine. Except Status: Disc is not blank. Now, I've tried with a couple of brand new DVDRs, straight from the stack. Could this be a compatibility problem, or is it because Adobe doesn't want me to burn anything with a trial version?

Apart from these difficulties, I find the product quite easy to use, and it works much better (and crashes less) than CyberLink PowerProducer. So if these tiny things can be sorted out, I'm joining your club!

My system:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+

Windows XP

4 GB RAM

Loads of HDD space

Plextor PX-800A DVD burner

Best regards,

Erik

• 1. Re: Limited functionality in trial version?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The aspect ratio issue could be related to your source footage. Not all video formats carry their pixel aspect ratio information with them.

What type of camcorder did this video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

I'm not sure if DVD functionality is allowed in the trial version of the program -- but you will see an Adobe watermark logo on any footage processed or encoded with the trial version. But you should be able to go to Share/Personal Computer/AVI to output a proof to see if the video is outputting in widescreen. I've never heard of a 5:4 aspect ratio for consumer video, so it could well be that your video is non-standard enough that the program can't interpret its pixel aspect ratio.

I'm glad to hear you're finding to program to your satisfaction! Make so you go to the Help menu and select Check for Updates to ensure you have the latest updates.

• 2. Re: Limited functionality in trial version?
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            So people appear really, really tall and thin. Shouldn't it be "spread out" to 16:9?

When this happens, it is most often a mismatch between the source footage and the Project Preset. Also, as Steve says, the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) info is often lost from the file's header info. If THAT is the case, you should be able to use Interpret Footage to force PrE to see the footage correctly - provided that the source material IS 16:9. Also, different cameras handle 16:9 in different ways. That is why Steve asked for the full specs. on your camera and you footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Welcome to the forum

• 3. Re: Limited functionality in trial version?
              ErikT408 Level 1

Hi,

The camera in question is a JVC Everio GZ-MG575AG, and the standard pixel resolution is 720 × 576, which is 5:4 ratio. But if I play the clips on the camera, they are shown in 16:9. So apparently, frame size ratio and aspect ratio isn't necessarily the same thing. Be gentle with me – I'm new at this...

Being quite paranoid after using CyberLink software (if you haven't already tried it, never do), I just copied the files directly to my computer through a USB connection. So the clips are a bunch of *.MOD files, numbered in hex. Imagine that... hex? Who on Earth got that silly idea? Luckily, Premiere Elements can sort by date/time...

Also, as Steve says, the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) info is often lost from the file's header info. If THAT is the case, you should be able to use Interpret Footage to force PrE to see the footage correctly - provided that the source material IS 16:9.

Hmmm... I don't seem to have access to the Interpret Footage menu. But I'll mess around with it tonight.

As to my second question, it turns out that the DVD-Rs I was trying to use are not compatible with my burner or something else in my computer.   Christ! How difficult can it be to follow a common standard? Imagine what it would have been like 10 -15 years ago, if some VCRs could only record on TDK or Maxell tapes, and other machines needed BASF?

I've included a screenshot with the project settings, just in case you can use it for something. Premiere has detected the 720 × 576 all right, and I thought the PAL Widescreen 16:9 stuff would fix the aspect ratio. Clearly, there are things I need to learn.

5 by 4 aspect ratio.png

Thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it.

Best regards,

Erik

• 4. Re: Limited functionality in trial version?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Erik,

The threads, linked in this ARTICLE, might be of use to you, when dealing with the .MOD files.

Also, what is the PAR of these files, as reported by the great, free utility, G-SPOT?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Limited functionality in trial version?
                  ErikT408 Level 1

Bill and Steve: Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

That did it! When I figured out how to use it, I selected all the clips and used the Interpret footage thing. It worked instantly!

I'll try to burn a DVD tonight, even though it will have that banner on it. And then I'll probably buy this magnificent product.

Best regards,

Erik