6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2010 3:06 PM by the_wine_snob

PE8 - No audio in rendered clip

Justin_H

I'm getting no audio after rendering, but do have sound before rendering. I've checked all the settings I know to check!

The PE8 audio hardware preference is set to 'Premiere Elements WDM Sound'. Is this a device that should show up in Device Manager? If so it isn't there. No problems with sound on any video except for PE8 rendered clips. I'd appreciate some help.

System:

Win7 Pro, 64-bit

ATI Radeon HD5850, Catalyst 10.2 driver

ASUS P6T motherboard

6 GB DDR3

Core i7 950 (stock clock)

BTW, PE8 bombs from time to time for no apparent reason. I gather from reading other posts that nobody else is having this problem? Ha! Also have Cyberlink PowerDirector but it rarely crashes. Sorry, had to get some gigs in.

Thanks,

Justin-H

• 1. Re: PE8 - No audio in rendered clip
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Justin,

Please tell us about both your Project Preset and your source footage.

Next, tell us the exact Export/Share settings.

Usually, when one does not get Audio on Export/Share, it is because they either did not check both Audio & Video, or because the Multiplexing is set to None. Along with your other Export/Share settings, please let us know about these too. The Multiplexing is set from that dialog tab.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE8 - No audio in rendered clip
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As far as PowerDirector goes, I have an older version (think it is 10, but cannot recall clearly), and it has actually crashed more than my PrE 4. Now, in all fairness, I use it to handle some really odd CODEC files, and basically convert with it, for editing in PrPro. My observations do not reflect either the newer versions, do not compare with PrE 8, and also include some very difficult footage. Still, it goes down about 1:5 sessions, while PrE 4 has only "hung it up" twice, and at least one was OE on my part, while the other was definitely a resource issue, as I did not utilize my own tips in this ARTICLE.

Just some personal observations and not a controlled test,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE8 - No audio in rendered clip
              Justin_H Level 1

Hunt,

I won't bother to posting my settings, but you set me on the right track. When I said I had no audio in the rendered file I should have indicated that I was referring to the post-edit render file and not the final output file. Apparently the post-edit render file isn't supposed to have audio. So with your help, problem solved.

Thanks,

Justin

• 4. Re: PE8 - No audio in rendered clip
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Justin,

Great news!

Now, just so that I am following you here, when you say:

Apparently the post-edit render file isn't supposed to have audio.

Do you mean the actual Render files? If so, you are 100% correct. Those (in PrPro they have really long character string names with the AVI extension) are ONLY for smooth playback and are just the Rendered Video stream.

If you mean something else, let me know, as I can always learn something new, especially if it can help others down the line.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE8 - No audio in rendered clip
                  Justin_H Level 1

Yes, the no-audio Render file I refer to has a filename Render-<long character string>.avi. At least that's the case with PrE8.

Justin

• 6. Re: PE8 - No audio in rendered clip
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the clarification. That is what I thought that you meant, but wanted to be sure.

You are actually one of the few users, who's ever even found those files, until time to "clean house."

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt