11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2010 9:32 PM by DVL_IAC

how to make like a hall of mirrors effect

DVL_IAC

Hello, I want to use an effect in a video like the one used in the  "Zlad - Elektronik Supersonik" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp_PIjc2ga4 video (15sec into the video) thats kind of like a hall of mirrors or infinate echo type effect. The video I'm using is almost identicle to that one but instead of a person on a keyboard infront of the green screen its a drummer infront of a green screen. I've tried messing with the echo effect but wasn't able to get the same type of effect. Anyone have any ideas on how to do it? Thanks. =-)

• 1. Re: how to make like a hall of mirrors effect
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The Echo effect is definitely one of the building blocks of this result.You say that you "tried messing with the Echo effect" but weren't able to get the same kind of result. What did you do?

One thing that you need to start with is a subject that is separate from the background. In other words, you need to key out or rotoscope out (or in some other way isolate) your foreground subject. You'll apply the Echo effect to the layer with the foreground subject separated out. Also, make sure to use the Composite In Front setting for Echo Operator.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how to make like a hall of mirrors effect
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Capture.PNG

Here's what I got by doing what I described in my previous message.

• 3. Re: how to make like a hall of mirrors effect
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Echo effect works on moving pixels. It is based on time, not position. If you actor is basically standing still you won't get anything that looks like the effect above. You can achieve this effect by moving the entire layer, pre-composing, then applying Echo to the pre-comp.

If an element is in the top right corner in the first frame and in the bottom left corner in the 10th frame, and you apply echo to the layer, with the right settings you'll get a bunch of copies of the layer in the 10th frame that show all of the positions between frame 1 and 10 (IOW 10 images). If the element does not move between frame 10 and 20 by the time you get to the last frame you'll only have one copy of the element visible because the pixels will not have moved for the last 10 frames. Using echo on your drummer you would get a bunch of time echos of his arms moving, not a bunch of images of the drummer like a hall of mirrors. IOW, you'd see 10 arms, not 10 drum sets.

Here's what I'd do with an drummer that basically is stationary. First I would make the layer a 3D layer. Then I'd apply this expression to the position property of the layer.

inc = index * 20;//each layer offset 20 pixels
              x = value [0] - inc;
              y = value [1] - inc;
              z = value [2] + inc;
              [x,y,z]

The expression is quite simple. The first line defines a variable called inc which takes the layer number (index) and multiplies that by a 20 pixels. The next three lines take the value of each of the position variables of a 3D layer and changes them by the value of the increment "inc". I subtract "inc" from X and Y to move the image up and to the left and I add "inc" to the z value to move the layer away from the camera.

The last step is to duplicate the layer as many times as you want echoes. You could tie the "inc" to an expression slider on a null layer so you could animate the offset.

If you want the movement to echo you would simply sequence the layers so that each started a frame or two after the first. This is what was done in the youtube example. The image was offset in X Y and Z space (or scaled) then the start time of each layer was shifted so that the moving arm appeared follow the movement of the arm creating a stadium wave effect.

Hope this helps.

• 4. Re: how to make like a hall of mirrors effect
                DVL_IAC Level 1

"You say that you "tried messing with the Echo effect" but weren't able to get the same kind of result. What did you do?"

I keyed out the green screen so all that remained was my forground subject, I applied the echo effect to that layer then I just started changing around the properties of the effect but all i was able to get is just an echo that stayed around the actor, i couldnt get it to fly to the back of the scene like you got. What settings did you use in your echo properties?

• 5. Re: how to make like a hall of mirrors effect
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

See above. The dancer in the example had to be moved in the frame. I'd guess that the position of the layer was animated from upper left to lower right, pre-composed, then the echo effect applied.

• 6. Re: how to make like a hall of mirrors effect
                    DVL_IAC Level 1

Ok I did what you posted above and it worked perfect for creating the effect I was looking for! =-) Although that's alot more work then I was hoping for. I was hoping there would just be a simple built in effect that I could just drag onto the video, set a couple perameters and be done, but I guess not.

• 7. Re: how to make like a hall of mirrors effect
                      bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

> Although that's alot more work then I was hoping for. <

Everything that comes out of After Effects that is elegant requires enormous amounts of work and experience. However, Gerard can make rocket surgery look simple; he scares me.

"Hall of Mirrors", as I think of it, is a realtime, reiterative effect (or a re-entry effect if you grew up in a TV station's production control room), not an echo process which, as has been explained, is temporal and requires movement of pixels to become apparent. Try searching for "Video Feedback" effects.

Oh, heck, I'll do it:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=video+feedback

bogiesan

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: how to make like a hall of mirrors effect
                        Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rick, LOVE IT.

Another way to do get a similar (but not same) effect is to use your footage as a particle. This can be extremely fun. Put your video with all the keying (or rotoscoping) in a precomp. Then set your particle system (I would use Particular) to emit the same number of particles per second as your video footage. (29.97, 24, etc.) And then use your video precomp as the particle type. I would make it freeze at the current frame so each echo is a still from the video. Not the same as a proper feedback loop, but still fun.

• 9. Re: how to make like a hall of mirrors effect
                          DVL_IAC Level 1

[quote]"Hall of Mirrors", as I think of it, is a realtime, reiterative effect (or a re-entry effect if you grew up in a TV station's production control room), not an echo process which, as has been explained, is temporal and requires movement of pixels to become apparent. Try searching for "Video Feedback" effects. [/quote]

A video feedback effect is the same kind of thing im looking for, but I did a google search for "video feedback effects after effects" but nothing really relevant came up. Then I decided to search for video feed back in the adobe after effects help section on this site and came across this plugin http://omino.com/sw/ominoAeSuite/ that has the function built right in to create pretty much the exact effect I'm looking for. =-)

[quote]Another way to do get a similar (but not same) effect is to use your footage as a particle. This can be extremely fun. Put your video with all the keying (or rotoscoping) in a precomp. Then set your particle system (I would use Particular) to emit the same number of particles per second as your video footage. (29.97, 24, etc.) And then use your video precomp as the particle type. I would make it freeze at the current frame so each echo is a still from the video. Not the same as a proper feedback loop, but still fun.[/quote]

I've never used particles before in after fx, how exactly do you set the particle system? I couldn't find anyting called particular under effects and presets and when I search particle systems in the after effects help section I just get links to video toutorials and my internet is too slow to go through video toutorials looking for it. Could you maybe post a screen shot of what an end result would look like doing it this way, just so I can see if it's any better then what I got?

• 10. Re: how to make like a hall of mirrors effect
                            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Particular is a 3rd-party plugin from Trapcode. You can get a lot of similar stuff from CC Particle World, but it's not as powerful.

I don't have any cleared footage handy at the moment to make a demo video, sorry.

• 11. Re: how to make like a hall of mirrors effect
                              DVL_IAC Level 1

Thats ok then, I'm pretty much done my video now and was able to do everything I wanted to do using all the info in this thread. Thanks for the help everyone. Guess now I should choose the correct and helpful answers. Hmm, I wish I could choose more then just 2 helpful answers because most of the posts were helpful in some way.