11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2007 10:09 AM by VorlonShadow

The effect is missing and cnanot be edited

VorlonShadow
      We just upgraded from the Dreamweaver MX 2004 suite to CS3. I have several images that I created in Fireworks MX 2004 that contain a certain effect labeled "Bevel Boss..." (I can't see the rest of it). It basically makes it look 3D-ish. When I load these graphics in Fireworks CS3, everything is "flat", and when I double-click on that effect, I get the message, "This effect is missing and cannot be edited." Is there anything I can do to get that effect back, or do I just have to re-do everything to try to get the same effect back using the currently available effects?
        • 1. Re: The effect is missing and cnanot be edited
          Level 7
          Would you be able to upload the png file somewhere to take a look?

Is the effect available if you start a new file?

alex

VorlonShadow wrote:
          > We just upgraded from the Dreamweaver MX 2004 suite to CS3. I have several
          > images that I created in Fireworks MX 2004 that contain a certain effect
          > labeled "Bevel Boss..." (I can't see the rest of it). It basically makes it
          > look 3D-ish. When I load these graphics in Fireworks CS3, everything is
          > "flat", and when I double-click on that effect, I get the message, "This effect
          > is missing and cannot be edited." Is there anything I can do to get that
          > effect back, or do I just have to re-do everything to try to get the same
          > effect back using the currently available effects?
          >
          • 2. Re: The effect is missing and cnanot be edited
            VorlonShadow Level 1
            Sure, I could upload it. Where do you suggest I upload it to?

I wouldn't know for sure which affect to select. I did find a very similar affect by going to Bevel & Emboss and selecting Inner Bevel. That seems to give me the same thing I'm looking for. However, when I export, the colors are different than before.
            • 3. Re: The effect is missing and cnanot be edited
              Level 7
              On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 17:05:12 +0400, VorlonShadow
              <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> We just upgraded from the Dreamweaver MX 2004 suite to CS3. I have
              > several
              > images that I created in Fireworks MX 2004 that contain a certain effect
              > labeled "Bevel Boss..." (I can't see the rest of it). It basically
              > makes it
              > look 3D-ish. When I load these graphics in Fireworks CS3, everything is
              > "flat", and when I double-click on that effect, I get the message, "This
              > effect
              > is missing and cannot be edited." Is there anything I can do to get that
              > effect back, or do I just have to re-do everything to try to get the same
              > effect back using the currently available effects?

As long as I remember "Belel Boss" was the name of some plugin, although I
              do not quite remember who developed it. Sounds like you had this plugin
              installed but do not have it any longer, or your copy of FW is not
              configured to search for it. Is your previous version of FW still
              installed so you may check plugin related stuff out?

--
              Ilya Razmanov
              http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
              • 4. Re: The effect is missing and cnanot be edited
                Level 7
                Bevel Boss was part of Alien Skin's Eye Candy 4000 that used to be included
                with FWs. I don't know if it still is, as I have the full version in a
                separate folder, with the rest of my plugins. You may be able to download a
                trial from Alien Skin if you no longer have it.

Peter

| As long as I remember "Belel Boss" was the name of some plugin, although I
                | do not quite remember who developed it. Sounds like you had this plugin
                | installed but do not have it any longer, or your copy of FW is not
                | configured to search for it. Is your previous version of FW still
                | installed so you may check plugin related stuff out?
                |
                | --
                | Ilya Razmanov
                | http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters

• 5. Re: The effect is missing and cnanot be edited
                  Level 7
                  Ilya Razmanov wrote:

> As long as I remember "Belel Boss" was the name of some plugin, although
                  > I do not quite remember who developed it. Sounds like you had this
                  > plugin installed but do not have it any longer, or your copy of FW is
                  > not configured to search for it. Is your previous version of FW still
                  > installed so you may check plugin related stuff out?

It was an EyeCandy 4000 one that came in a sample group of plugins with
                  older versions of FW.

--
                  Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                  http://www.projectseven.com
                  Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                  CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                  http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                  • 6. Re: The effect is missing and cnanot be edited
                    VorlonShadow Level 1
                    Yes, actually, I do have that still available. As I recall It to get this affect, I would go to Eye Candy 4000 LE / Bevel Boss. So, you're absolutely right, it was a 3rd party extension. Is there any way to get this added into CS3? there was another one too, Alien Skin that I used every once in a while. How do I add these in?
                    • 7. Re: The effect is missing and cnanot be edited
                      Level 7
                      Setup a folder wherever you want > Edit > Preferences > Folders . Check the
                      Photoshop Plug-Ins box > Browse to your new folder, which should show up
                      after a FWs restart. Of course you will then have to move files from the
                      original location.

Peter
                      | affect, I would go to Eye Candy 4000 LE / Bevel Boss. So, you're
                      absolutely
                      | right, it was a 3rd party extension. Is there any way to get this added
                      into
                      | CS3? there was another one too, Alien Skin that I used every once in a
                      while.
                      | How do I add these in?
                      |

• 8. Re: The effect is missing and cnanot be edited
                        Level 7
                        VorlonShadow wrote:
                        > Yes, actually, I do have that still available. As I recall It to get this
                        > affect, I would go to Eye Candy 4000 LE / Bevel Boss. So, you're absolutely
                        > right, it was a 3rd party extension. Is there any way to get this added into
                        > CS3? there was another one too, Alien Skin that I used every once in a while.
                        > How do I add these in?

If you still have the older version of Fireworks installed, copy the
                        plug in into the plug in folder of the new version, or better yet, add
                        all plug-ins to a new folder on your hard drive you can point all
                        graphics programs top.

--
                        Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                        http://www.projectseven.com
                        Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                        CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                        http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                        • 9. Re: The effect is missing and cnanot be edited
                          VorlonShadow Level 1
                          OK. I'm not familiar with extensions and how to install them. It cam pre-installed in the old version of Fireworks, I guess. I have, however, located the files. They are in C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Fireworks MX 2004\Plug-Ins. But, there are a lot of files in there, some of which may belong to that, some of which may not. Should I copy all of these files in, or just some of them? If just some, which ones?

Here's a list of the files:
                          Alien Skinformation.html
                          BMP Import Export.x32
                          ec4k_carton2.gif
                          EMLaunch.dll
                          <DIR> Eye Candy 4000 Settings
                          EyeCandy4000.8bf
                          FlashPlayerW.dll
                          FreeHand Reader.dll
                          Gemstone.dll
                          gsdll32.dll
                          mix32.x32
                          PSPalImp.x32
                          <DIR> Settings
                          Splat LE Core.dll
                          Splat LE-eng.8bf
                          splat_carton.gif
                          Targa Import.x32
                          TIFF Import Export.x32
                          TwainAgent.x32
                          WBMP Import Export.x32

• 10. Re: The effect is missing and cnanot be edited
                            Level 7
                            I would copy

Eye Candy 4000 Settings
                            EyeCandy4000.8bf
                            Splat LE Core.dll
                            Splat LE-eng.8bf

but it wouldn't hurt to copy the lot, I don't think.

Peter

"VorlonShadow" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                            news:fbmk3q$nrr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            | OK. I'm not familiar with extensions and how to install them. It cam
                            | pre-installed in the old version of Fireworks, I guess. I have, however,
                            | located the files. They are in C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Fireworks MX
                            | 2004\Plug-Ins. But, there are a lot of files in there, some of which may
                            | belong to that, some of which may not. Should I copy all of these files
                            in, or
                            | just some of them? If just some, which ones?
                            |
                            | Here's a list of the files:
                            | Alien Skinformation.html
                            | BMP Import Export.x32
                            | ec4k_carton2.gif
                            | EMLaunch.dll
                            | <DIR> Eye Candy 4000 Settings
                            | EyeCandy4000.8bf
                            | FlashPlayerW.dll
                            | FreeHand Reader.dll
                            | Gemstone.dll
                            | gsdll32.dll
                            | mix32.x32
                            | PSPalImp.x32
                            | <DIR> Settings
                            | Splat LE Core.dll
                            | Splat LE-eng.8bf
                            | splat_carton.gif
                            | Targa Import.x32
                            | TIFF Import Export.x32
                            | TwainAgent.x32
                            | WBMP Import Export.x32
                            |
                            |
                            |

• 11. Re: The effect is missing and cnanot be edited
                              VorlonShadow Level 1
                              Yup, that did it. I just copied everything out to another folder, changed FW to point to that folder as the plug-in folder, and I now have that affect back, and can use it in CS3.

Thanks for the help everyone.