5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2010 8:57 AM by shunithD

Logo exceeds artboard - crop?

PoloPferd Level 1

Hey guys,

I´ve designed a logo and my background exceeds the artboard boundaries. Normally no problem but if i save the file as a pdf and i re-import this to other illustrator documents to continue working on it, the transformation frame will be set to the size from my background size of the originally file.

So as you see this is my original file. The orange square is the black background square and the black square is my artboard.

pic2.png

This is the file with the black backrgound as you can see the whole height and width are the same as the original one but with the exceeding background!

Pic1.png

I know i could just simply fit my background to the artboard size but is there no more "professional" solution? Like to be able to save as PDF but only what is in the artboard?

Thank you for your help

best wishes

Max

• 1. Re: Logo exceeds artboard - crop?
          PoloPferd Level 1

Come on guys, somebody should have a professional answer ^^

*push*

Max

• 2. Re: Logo exceeds artboard - crop?
            Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Max,

Come on guys, somebody should have a professional answer ^^

Maybe a silly answer may do.

I, and probably others, have wondered and pondered. I just gave this answer in another thread, and I also thought of your case while writing it: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/601747?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Logo exceeds artboard - crop?
              shunithD Level 3

PoloPferd wrote:

Hey guys,

I´ve designed a logo and my background exceeds the artboard boundaries. Normally no problem but if i save the file as a pdf and i re-import this to other illustrator documents to continue working on it, the transformation frame will be set to the size from my background size of the originally file.

Why would you want to import the pdf into Illustrator? You'd just open the original Illustrator file...

• 4. Re: Logo exceeds artboard - crop?
                PoloPferd Level 1

Hey Jacob,

thank you for your answer and the link but it´s still not exactly what i´m looking for but i´m sure you knew that before ^^

I just thought if there´s maybe a setting or so where you can say more or less: "Only include drawings on artboard"

Yes i can open the original Illustrator document but if importing the PDF to other programs which are able to handle vector graphics ( i.e. pages ), i can´t align it perfectly because it will be aligned to the position frame which results of the exceeding drawings.

But cheers ^^

• 5. Re: Logo exceeds artboard - crop?
                  shunithD Level 3

PoloPferd wrote:

Yes i can open the original Illustrator document but if importing the PDF to other programs which are able to handle vector graphics ( i.e. pages ), i can´t align it perfectly because it will be aligned to the position frame which results of the exceeding drawings.

PoloP,

1/ Set the artboard to the size you want... fill the background - you may increase by x mm all around for bleed (or set the bleed in CS4).

2/ Save as PDF.

3/ In the dialogue box go to 'Marks and Bleeds'.

4/ Check 'Trim Marks'

5/ Either check 'Document Bleed Settings' or manually enter the bleed amount.

Though all the above is completely unnecessary if you need to full it in to other vector graphics programs... a simple pdf or eps should more than suffice. Moreover, most of them also recognise AI files... just save as an older version not as a CS4 – CS2 should be ok or AI 10 if you want to be absolutely sure.

1 person found this helpful