2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2010 5:44 PM by westewell

whitespace problem with css validation

westewell

Hi all

I am validating my CSS and received the following WARNING

83.headerFamily names containing whitespace should be quoted. If quoting is omitted, any whitespace characters before and after the name are ignored and any sequence of whitespace characters inside the name is converted to a single space.

The site is designed with Dw CS4 so I am not sure what to do with this.  I suspect this is resulting from me giving my maincontent div a colour background but there seems to be a white space surrounding the content.  At any rate, if Googlebot sees this as a problem my site may not be indexed.

I am new to this so any help would be gratefully received.

• 1. Re: whitespace problem with css validation
          Corey@Adobe Employee Moderator

Hi westewell,

You posted this message in the Adobe BrowserLab forum, so I'm moving to the Dreamweaver forum for a response... but I think I know the cause of the problem.

"Family names containing whitespace should be quoted. If quoting is omitted, any whitespace characters before and after the name are ignored and any sequence of whitespace characters inside the name is converted to a single space."

This warning is referring to the font-family names as they are written in your CSS stylesheet. Family names that contain white space/spaces between words need to be enclosed in quotes. For example you'll receive the warning if your rule looks like this:

.header {

font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif;

}

when it should look like this:

.header {

font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;

}

If this doesn't help resolve your problem, please post a link to your page that is generating the validation warning or include your code in your response.

Best regards,
          Corey

Message was edited by: Corey@Adobe fixed typos

• 2. Re: whitespace problem with css validation
            westewell Level 1

Hi Corey

Thanks for the solution to my Whitespace problem with CSS.

If you are attached to Adobe as it seems you are please note that the CSS was produced by Dw CS4 so the 'error' was generated by the programme.  Perhaps you can pass this on to the design team to be rectified in the next roll-out.

Thanks a million once again.

Very best regards from a beautiful London.

André

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 13:57:38 -0600

To: andredemendonca@live.co.uk

Subject: whitespace problem with css validation

Hi westewell,

You posted this message in the Adobe BrowserLab forum, so I'm moving to the Dreamweaver forum for a response... but I think I know the cause of the problem.

"Family names containing whitespace should be quoted. If quoting is omitted, any whitespace characters before and after the name are ignored and any sequence of whitespace characters inside the name is converted to a single space."

This error is referring to the font-family names as they are written in your CSS stylesheet. Familie names that contain white space/spaces between words need to be enclosed in quotes. For example you'll receive the error if your rule looks like this:

.header {

font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif;

}

when it should look like this:

.header {

font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;

}

If this doesn't help resolve your problem, please post a link to your page that is generating the validation error or include your code in your response.

Best regards,

Corey

>