1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 240 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2012 1:58 PM by Harm Millaard Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
      • 120. Re: What PC to build?
        JayNewWeb Level 1

FYI, I just ordered the 12GB.

I'm glad I took the time to inquire here and you did your best to help me out... because the price dropped about 20% at CDW since I first asked about it a few days ago.

For what it's worth, a tech suggested to me yesterday that there is something to be said for getting a "kit" consisting of the three modules together, even if it does cost a little more, rather than buying three of what is sold as one single module. I don't know how much there is to the reasoning but maybe it makes a little sense.

I've heard in the past that it's best to get all your memory from the same manufacturer just to ensure that much more consistency between modules.

Well, this tech believes that the major memory manufacturers, when selling a three-module "kit" for triple-channel use, are going a step further and making sure the three modules come from the same production batch to even further ensure consistency.

Who knows. Just thought I'd share.

(I must have bought the line of thinking. I sprang for the three-module kit that costs a bit more.)

• 121. Re: What PC to build?
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The boards that have 4 slots support Tr- Channel just like the 6 slot boards. You just can only use 3 slots. Tri Channel is really decided by the CPU and not the board since the memory controller now resides there. The only reason the memory has any bearing on this is simply the amount of ram you put in. Now Memory manufacturers also adjust sub timings on the memory to better ensure functionality based on whether the kits will be packaged as dual or tri kits. This does not mean you can't buy the dual kits and put them on a Tri Channel system. It just means you will have a higher chance of having issues with the ram working together. The HP tech you spoke to is correct and that board does support Tri channel.

Eric

ADK

• 122. Re: What PC to build?
            flbreen Level 1

John

Thanks for al the info.

I built the system you specified except that my PC has 5 disks (4x1TB disks rinnung Raid5).

It works better than the Dell pictured aside of it.

I believe I dammaged the main board when I transported the completed PC to my home from where it was assembled.

I guess with that big cpu cooler this PC should not be moved (in an automobile) once assembled.

Also with that huge GPU card a larger case would be helpful.

It produces MP4 files very quickly from a Premiere Sequence.

I am having trouble with Premiere Tape Capture.

I guess I will have to shut off all file indexing under W7.

There is also a strange problem if I pull out the head phones the sound shuts down until I restart Premiere.

Thanks

Frank Breen

• 123. Re: What PC to build?

Do you have speakers plugged as well? If the headphones are the only output plugged into the onboard sound on Win 7 and you pull them, then Win 7 changes the default audio output to the digital outs. If you have speakers plugged in then Win 7 will change the outputs to where the speakers are plugged into. You have to change the outputs in Premiere to reflect the change or restart Premiere to initialize the audio output change.

Eric

ADK

• 124. Re: What PC to build?
                flbreen Level 1

I have a speaker system plugged into the audio outs on the main board - no sound card.

On my Dell PG (Vista) when I pull out the head phones from the front of the computer a little noet comes on the screen telling me that an audio device has been plugged or unplugged.

On the Dell PC the head phones shut off the speakers but I can put them in and out without any disruption.

Pulling out the head phones seems to disrupt Premiere.

I think that sometimes I cannot play any video on Premiere unitll I restart Premiere.

• 125. Re: What PC to build?

That is because Premiere attempts to sync the audio to the video. If the audio device changes as far as Premiere is detecting then it has to reinitialize that device before it can continue. You will see this as well sometimes if you have an audio interface that also supports the Asio driver standard. If you switch from WDM to Asio or vice versa sometimes you have to restart the application. You can first go under preferences though and check what you audio device is currently set to and change it and then change the output mapping. That normally works with Adobe but not always. The easiest way is just to restart the application if it doesn't.

Eric

ADK

• 126. Re: What PC to build?
                    namelessmike

This thread has been *extremely* helpful. Thanks all!

After years of using Premiere elsewhere, I am looking to have a NLE setup at home. I'm 90% sure I'll be buying Premiere Pro CS5, but am still considering the options. For me editing video is a serious hobby, not a profession.

Building a system from scratch is intimidating, so I went to HP's site and looked at options. Any comments on this setup as a starting place? More disks etc would be added later.

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-380t ($1300)

• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
                    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-930 quad-core [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]
                    • 9GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [5 DIMMs]
                    • 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
                    • 1.8GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters]
                    • LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
                    • Integrated sound
                    • 127. Re: What PC to build?
                      Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Something must be wrong with that memory spec. How could you have 9 GB in 5 DIMM's?  Or is this another HP unique design or is it a typo?

Find out how many disk drives you can have in it and what the power supply rating is.

What media are you going to edit on this computer?

CS5 requires an absolute minimum of two drives and that may be marginal.

• 128. Re: What PC to build?
                        adam gold Level 1

>>How could you have 9 GB in 5 DIMM's?

Perhaps 4 x 2GB + a 1GB stick?

• 129. Re: What PC to build?
                          namelessmike Level 1

Bill: Thanks for the quick feedback. No typo; claims to have 9GB, no idea how exactly. Will only take 2 drives and power supply only 460 watts. Back to the drawing board for me....

• 130. Re: What PC to build?

Good Idea Mike!

• 131. Re: What PC to build?
                              Joshua Sweeny

I am building my first pc and actually switching from Mac to pc.... 'oh the irony'. I intend to build my rig around around the

Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7980X

and nvidia geforce  gtx 480 or the quadro 1800

I would love to know why one graphics is better than the other.

I would like to stick a mobo with usb3.0 and ieee 1394b(fw800)

i would like at least 8gb(or12?) of fast ram

I cant find the mother that would work for this set up and I do not know enough about ram to decide?

can anyone give me some pointers

I am going to overclock

I will be using this computer to edit hd in cs5 and would like it to be super fast

I will also be taking full advantage of lightroom and photoshop and would love to be able to expand into cool special effect even though I do not know how to do that yet. I will be using cs5 and avid Xpress but NO gaming!

Thanks

• 132. Re: What PC to build?
                                flbreen Level 1

I am a newbie at designing high performance PCs but after assembling one designed by someone else I recommend a bigger case than I used.

The CM Storm Scout case that I use was adequate but with a bigger box it would have been easier to get SATA cables around the GPU card.

I recommend 5 drives (4x1TB) in Raid 5 and one for the operating system and CS5.

I damaged my  new working PC by transporting it home in my automobile.

I suggest assembling it in the same place that it will be used.

There is an article in the August Videomaker Magazine on the Cerise 12 core PC $8000.

They show the case and and I liked the extra room it has over my Scout case.

I know the the 6 core CPU cost $1000 and my 4 core CPU is under $300.

I am wondering if you will get $700 better performance.

• 133. Re: What PC to build?

1.  You will not find (to my knowledge) a PC motherboard that has IEEE-1394b, only 1394a.  Why would you even want the 1394 b?

2. You have not told us you intended input and output formats, that makes a big difference

3.  I would not consider anything less than 12 GB and if your primary output is MPEG and you use Photoshop you should start with 24 GB.  For high overclocking you want DDR3-1600

4. Do not get a Quadro 1800 as it is way to expensive and is not a current Fermi card.

5. Plan on lots of disks and a good RAID card

6. Read the many threads in these hardware forums especially all of Harm's great ones on new design.

One of the better large very flexible cases is this one.

Take a look at successful builds of CS5 machines at my benchmarking site

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 134. Re: What PC to build?

"I will be using cs5 and avid Xpress but NO gaming!"

What version of Avid do you have? Have you upgraded to Media Composer?

Eric

ADK

• 135. Re: What PC to build?
                                      Taverino Level 2

Bill Gehrke wrote:

1.  You will not find (to my knowledge) a PC motherboard that has IEEE-1394b, only 1394a.  Why would you even want the 1394 b?

On the subject of FW800: The machine that ADK is currently building for me has FW800 ports which I requested to support my Lexar UDMA CF card readers. All of my photos and videos are recorded to CF cards and speed of injesting large amounts of footage is important to me. I'd be interesting in suggestions anyone might have for a better way of accessing CF cards since the future of FW800 is problematic, but I see myself using CF cards for many years to come. Thanks.

• 136. Re: What PC to build?

The next revision of card readers will be USB 3 I am sure instead of E-Sata especially with the new laptop shells starting to release with onboard USB 3 ports. However the speed will still be limited by the media which even class 10 devices still only transfer at 30MB/s regardless of the max interface speed.

Eric

ADK

• 137. Re: What PC to build?
                                          Joshua Sweeny Level 1

I want iee1394b(800) because within the next year firewire 3200 will be out and I work at home and at school. I use avid in both places and they use Mac pro where I am gonna use pc, I will keep stuff on external hd if I need to move it back and forth.

• 138. Re: What PC to build?
                                            Joshua Sweeny Level 1

Firewire 3200 is coming down the pipe and in contrast to USB 3.0, the 3200 will be backwards compatible with all 800 port devices. On top of that is the premise that the software will be the only needed to change the speed, not the hardware. So you can keep saying that firewire is going away but it is simply not true. It is more stable and a lot of people, especially those who have stuck with mac over the years will still use it. I am all for usb 3.0 but I would like my options to remain open. I found one here but I do not know if it is compatible with everything I have in mind

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131648&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mm c=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3891137&SID=194r0

• 139. Re: What PC to build?

"Firewire 3200 is coming down the pipe and in contrast to USB 3.0, the 3200 will be backwards compatible with all 800 port devices."

I am not sure where you heard USB 3 is not backwards compatible but you are incorrect. It is like all previous versions of USB.

Eric

ADK

• 140. Re: What PC to build?
                                                Taverino Level 2

ECBowen wrote:

However the speed will still be limited by the media which even class 10 devices still only transfer at 30MB/s regardless of the max interface speed.

Eric

ADK

Eric,

Not sure I understand. According to Lexar, the CF/UDMA FW800 readers I have are rated at 100MB/sec. The CF/UDMA cards I have are rated at 90MB/sec.

http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/cf_pro_600x.html

I'm sure in real-life usage these numbers may be lower, but are you saying that 30MB/sec is still the maximum I will experience? Thanks.

• 141. Re: What PC to build?

Actually I didn't know about those. Thanks for the heads up. Evidently they have much faster CF cards than they do SDHC cards. I am sure you would get close to that 90MB/s.

Eric

ADK

• 142. Re: What PC to build?
                                                    hellerbrewing

I am looking at building a new i7 setup to replace my older LGA775 with the intention of purchasing Creative Suite Design Premium, mainly for premiere and photoshop.  Anyway, I have a few questions:

1) I that the GTX 470 (and 480) are recommended here.  I know I have read that Adobe plans official MPE hardware acceleration with the 480 but the 470 is up in the air.  At this point neither are listed on the compatible hardware list.  Does anyone know if official support has been announced/implemented, particularly for the 470, or is the hack for allowing the card to be accepted still necessary?

2) Is it worth running raid for your 2 non-OS drives if you are using the controller on the motherboard (ICH10R to be specific) and not a hardware-based raid card?

Not that it matters, but I am an enthusiast currently using an older version of Premiere/Photoshop Elements and a Panasonic MiniDV (SD) camcorder.  I am planning on going HD after I get the new computer and CS5 built/paid for.  Likely another panasonic but I don't know what format I will be working with.

What I have so far:

• Antec 900 two - $80AR
                                                    • Corsair 650W - from previous
                                                    • 150 GB Velociraptor WD WD1500HLFS - $100
                                                    • 9400 GT (I Think) - from previous

• LG Bluray Burner - fp
                                                    • LG Bluray ROM - fp
                                                    • Win7 pro 64 - $30

Planning to get

• GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
                                                    • i7-920
                                                    • 3 X 2 GB DDR3 (Add more later)
                                                    • GTX 285 or GTX 470 (depending on adobe support)
                                                    • 4 X 500GB WD black 2.5 inch drives (possibly)
                                                    • CS5 Creative Suite Production Premium

• 143. Re: What PC to build?
                                                      hellerbrewing Level 1

Well, I guess I found the answer to my first question:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/09/premiere-pro-cs5-5-0-2-update.html

and

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

say the 470 is officially supported with the 5.0.2 update.

They need to update the hardware compatibility page as it does not list it.  I guess I will shoot for the GTX 470 since it seems to be better than the 285.

• 144. Re: What PC to build?

Personally, I would go for 3 x 4 GB of memory on a new build.  The i7-920 is no longer available the current low end is the i7-930.  These are generally availble from Microcenter if you have one close by for $200 if you can go into one of their stores and pick it up.

• 145. Re: What PC to build?
                                                          LaciG Level 1

I started to build my PC. I have run into a problem at the very beginning. Following this Forum's advice, I have the ASUS P6X58D Premium MOBO with the Intel i7 CPU, and the NOCTUA NH-D14 CPU cooler (and, of course, the beautiful Lian-Li case). My problem is the fan connections and mainly the CPU fan connection.

The MOBO has 5 fan connectors:

1. CPU_FAN (4-pin, the 4th pin:"CPU FAN PWM" )
                                                          2. CHA_FAN 1 (4-pin, the 2nd pin: "CHA FAN PWR")
                                                          3. PWR_FAN (3-pin)
                                                          4. CHA_FAN 2 (3-pin), and
                                                          5. CHA_FAN 3 (3-pin).

I assume that those 4th pins support the power management. And here is the problem: The beautiful NOCTUA CPU cooler has two fans but both of them have only 3-pin connectors! (The Intel CPU cooler fan that came with the CPU has the required 4 pins.)

Here is another problem: the ASUS User Guide (p. 2-22) says: "Only the CPU_FAN, CHA_FAN 1, CHA_FAN 2 and CHA_FAN 3 connectors support the ASUS FAN Xpert feature". But the latter two connectors are 3-pin connectors! How can they also support power management? Or they are only monitoring?

I contacted ASUS 'Live Chat' but they couldn't give a full explanation. I am waiting from NOCTUA for their e-mail answer.

For entertainment I attached the transcript of the Live Chat with ASUS. (BTW, what does 'np' stand for?)

• 146. Re: What PC to build?
                                                            hellerbrewing Level 1

I think your assumption is correct, you need all 4 pins on the fan to be able to use the fan speed control in the bios.  You can disable this and let the CPU fan run at the stock speed.  You just won't get the noise reduction of throttling the fan down when it is not needed.  You should be able to connect the 3 pin connector to the 4 pin block on the board.  IIRC, there's only one way you can connect it so you won't scre it up.

• 147. Re: What PC to build?
                                                              LaciG Level 1

Thanks. I will try to buy four-pin fans for the NOCTUA cooler (if they have

it). I am still trying to get an answer from ASUS about their two 3-pin

connectors that allegedly supports the Fan Xpert feature. - Laci.

• 148. Re: What PC to build?
                                                                Studio North Films Level 3

HI,

I would save some money and time, and just install the fans that came with the noctua cooler, this way the fans will run full speed and the temps will remain cooler. the fans are not to noisy.

Baz

• 149. Re: What PC to build?
                                                                  LaciG Level 1

Hi Baz, Thanks for jour advice, I just did that. Right now I have the DRAMs,

the video card and all the fans running - I could get into the BIOS! (Now, I

just have to install the hard disc and optical drives and figure out what to

do with the million left over wires that came with the Lian-Li case and the

Silent Pro.) - Laci.

• 150. Re: What PC to build?
                                                                    LaciG Level 1

Hi Baz, Harm, and the other experts:

I almost finished all the wiring. (After that e-mail exchange with the ASUS MOBO support in my previous post, I called the phone support. They gave much better help than the 'Live Chat' service.)

Now, however, I have two - a bit more important - questions than the 3-pin fan vs. the 4-pin fan .

1.I need (actually I want) four more SATA internal connectors(two for use now, and the other two to use later). I found a 'SATA II PCIe' expansion card at Fry's from SIIG with 2 internal SATA connectors for $39.99. The box also says that this card works with Windows 7 (among others). However, all the cards with four connectors that I have found so far say that they are 'RAID controllers'(e.g. Koutech IO-PSA421 PCI-X SATA II Controller Card for $49.99 at NewEgg). Can I use this (or other) 'RAID controller' cards just for extra SATA connectors (without using their RAID capabilities)? (I still would like to use the ICH10R Intel chip on my MOBO for RAID control) I assume that a RAID controller card for $300 - $400 or more is better than the ICH10R, but I do not need the RAID capability. Also, these 4x RAID cards do not mention Windows 7. Do I need one which explicitly states that it is certified for Windows 7?

2.Does an expansion card with four internal USBa female connectors exists? Interestingly, the Lian Li case has 4 front panel USBa female connectors and each of them ends in a male USBa connector inside the case (with quite thick cables). I have a 10-1 pin USB header free, but it takes only 2 USB connectors (AFAIK). So, an expansion card with two 10-1 pin USB headers (and converter cables from USBa to header connectors) would also solve my problem but I haven't found those items either. Is there a simpler solution (other than just not to use the front panel USB connectors)?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Laci.

• 151. Re: What PC to build?
                                                                      Studio North Films Level 3

Hi

you can use either card for your sata connections. and use them as single drives if you want.

Baz

• 152. Re: What PC to build?
                                                                        LaciG Level 1

Hi Baz, Thanks for your reply. I will buy the Koutech card. Please, confirm: The Intel ICH10R south bridge is better than this card for RAID control but not better than an expensive (> $500) card. Also, my solution for Lian Li strange front USB connector arrangement is a simple card with one internal USB (there are many cards like this combined with external USB or other connectors) and an internal USB hub. Thanks again, Laci.

• 153. Re: What PC to build?
                                                                          Ben_Jacobson Level 1

I have been doing a TON of research for several months (Harm has been a HUGE help) and I was really hoping  to get some feedback on this system I am about to order.  I  will be using CS5 Premiere and After Effects, AVCHD video, no  overclocking or RAID, and hope to take advantage of CUDA and Mercury  playback engine…

(1)Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core  Desktop Processor BX80601930  $284.99

(1) GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX  Intel Motherboard  $209.99

(1) GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5  PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card  $219.99

(2) G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600  (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI  $309.98

(1) CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire  Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply   $109.99

(1) COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower  Computer Case $129.98

(1) Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler  $39.99

(3) SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"  Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive  $224.97 (three separate discs for  media, exports and proj files, and scratch/media/page file)

(1) Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB

10000 RPM SATA  3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive  $179.99 (OS and  Programs…higher 10,000 RPM speed)

(1) ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD  Monitor  $189.99

(1) Rosewill RCR-AK-IM5002 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Card Reader w/ 3  ports USB2.0 Hub / eSATA port / Extra silver face plate / SATA Power   $21.99

Total $1,931.84

Thank you for any feedback whatsoever!

BVJ

• 154. Re: What PC to build?
                                                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Ben,

It looks good, but two remarks:

1. Upgrade memory from 6 to 12 GB.

2. Consider a 850 W PSU so you have more reserve for future expansions.

• 155. Re: What PC to build?
                                                                              Ben_Jacobson Level 1

Thank you so much for the feedback! I already have 2 sets of the 6gb in my wishlist and I will definitely upgrade the power to 850. Any particular brand or model you recommend?

Thanks again!

BVJ

• 156. Re: What PC to build?

Ben, I would strongly suggest going with 3 each 4 GB modules rather than your 6 each 2GB modules.  Even if you have to get slightly less timing.  It then allows you down stream to upgrade without removing any of the 2 GB modules.  Take a look for instance at this NewEgg kit for instance.  As  matter of fact this 12 GB kit is less $50 expensive than what you have picked out.

If you can get into a Mircrocenter Store some place close to you you can get your i7-930 for $200 (plus local tax).  It has to be picked up in the store to get that price.

• 157. Re: What PC to build?

Laci do not do the Koutech!  It is a PCIx card and will not work in your P6X58D.  You only have PCIe slots

• 158. Re: What PC to build?
                                                                                    Ben_Jacobson Level 1

Bill,

Excellent point! Thank you for the suggestion.  I will do just that-I'll get two 6gb modules.