16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2010 7:56 AM by howardmil18

wmv files jump when imported and played on timeline

howardmil18

Something new with ELEMENTS 8. Any ripped dvd file to wmv format jumps and is jerky upon playback on monitor with timeline.

Never had this with elements 7. Also,,can not seem to GET the new update every time I open the notification on my computer and

try to apply it. It says, installation failed .????

Howard

• 1. Re: wmv files jump when imported and played on timeline
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Howard,

Why are you ripping the MPEG-2 files from your DVD to WMV? You have compressed MPEG-2's to start, and are ripping to another compressed level, WMV.

Can you not Import the VOB's from your DVD into PrE? That would be the best solution. This ARTICLE will give you some info on VOB files.

If I had to rip, I would definitely go to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. It will not get any better than that.

Other than Xvid, or DivX, WMV is about as poor a choice, as one could make for editing. It is a format w/ CODEC's for streaming media, not editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: wmv files jump when imported and played on timeline
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I completely agree with Hunt. You're adding an extra step to the conversion, which is very inefficient and can indeed account for the loss of quality.

MPEG Streamclip will convert DVDs to DV-AVIs, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

BTW, there are no updates for version 7. But do make sure your operating system is fully updated (go to Windows Update and click the Custom button to get even the non-critical updates) and go to the Apple site and download the latest quicktime.

• 3. Re: wmv files jump when imported and played on timeline
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I'd like to add - and the very latest video driver!

Also, this ARTICLE might be useful for getting your computer into shape and ready for a video-editing session.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: wmv files jump when imported and played on timeline
                howardmil18 Level 1

Hi , well I was not aware of the quality and compression of the wmv file. The reason I do not take the VOB file directly into Premeiere 8 is

because I must clip most of my work from the dvd into smaller segments. Other than that, I then edit it on Premiere 8. I will now try to

use the AVI file you mentioned in your reply for ripping. (Can premiere trim a dvd vob file before importing it into the program???)

If not, hopefully the AVI file will be able to be converted in a larger frame size (1280 by 720 ) before i import it into premiere elements??

I have two rippers and it appears that the frame size and can not be adjusted higher than the original 720 by 480 on many of the common

editing files.?? Also, you mentioned getting the best video driver. As I do not have Nvidia (which is giving all the problems) should I look for

an update for my currently installed driver (ATI Radeon HD 3600)

Howard

• 5. Re: wmv files jump when imported and played on timeline
                  nealeh Level 5

Steve Grisetti wrote:

BTW, there are no updates for version 7.

Not so. I installed Encore 2.0 tryout at the weekend and it trashed the recognition of my CD/DVD drives  in Windows. This was an easy fix but, after the fix, PRE7 still didn't recognise the drives. Still an easy fix - uninstall PRE7, do a registry clean, reinstall PRE7.

This morning Adobe Updater showed a 7.0.3 update for PRE7. Mind you Help> About still only shows as 7.0.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: wmv files jump when imported and played on timeline
                    nealeh Level 5

v10.2 is the latest ATI driver.Enter your HD3600/OS at http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx .

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: wmv files jump when imported and played on timeline
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Howard,

If I read correctly, you are Importing DV (720 x 480) MPEG-2 footage, which has already been highly compressed and then wish to Upscale it to HD. Is that correct? Can you live with such horrible quality?

Now, if you need to Trim your footage, the best workflow would be to use an intermediate Project, Import the VOB and Trim there. Then, Export/Share the Trimmed Timeline to a file that would Imported into your final Project. Normally, I would recommend doing the Export/Share to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio (Recompress OFF), and Importing that Trimmed AVI into the final Project. However, there is a tiny quality hit with that format/CODEC, and you have already sustained a big quality hit with the MPEG-2 on the DVD, and then will take another MAJOR hit, when you Upscale to HD. You might want to look into two other workflows:

1.) Export/Share to the Lagarith Lossless CODEC. It is free, very good, and fairly quick. Import this file into your final Project.

2.) Convert your DV MPEG-2 to HD (do not know of an inexpensive conversion program for this. Also, remember that these giant files will need to be Trimmed, and then Shared/Exported.

Personally, I would Import the VOB's, and just edit those in one PrE Project. I would also not even consider the Upscaling to HD. If one has a Upscaling DVD player, hooked to an HD TV, I would let the chip in that player do the work. Your DVD will look as good as it will get that way. Upscaling in ANY NLE program will yield poor results, especially from MPEG-2 source material.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: wmv files jump when imported and played on timeline
                        howardmil18 Level 1

The page looks good. I can not find the v.10.2 ATI driver on the right side

of the page. It has 5900 series 3600 5800 etc etc. First, is it safe to

download

these latest products from here? Also, which ones are the best for elements

8 and where do you get price information?

Howard

• 9. Re: wmv files jump when imported and played on timeline
                          howardmil18 Level 1

Now I realize how little I know, but need to learn.

I think the best is what you said,.take the VOB and edit it in elements 8.

then render the file and format. But will the VOB matter about frame size

when

I render in HD 1280 by 720? Ironically, after the rendering, I convert it to

mpeg4 for faster you tube upload. Now you say,,,, why not convert to mp4 on

elements 8? Cause I do not know how to adjust the frame size large enough

when I go to mp4 rendering on elements 8. I guess it says,,,change this

profile and something else to get the frame larger for mp4 rendering on

elements 8. Understanding my limited patients, I take the mpeg 2 and do a

fast convert to mp4 on another software device. Comments?

Howard

• 10. Re: wmv files jump when imported and played on timeline
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, you're starting with DVD files, which are standard, not hi-def video. You really won't accomplish anything blowing it out to four times the resolution as HD. You'll just make it bigger and blurrier!

• 11. Re: wmv files jump when imported and played on timeline
                              nealeh Level 5

These are the official drivers from AMD/ATI so yes, they are safe. After making your selections click the [GO!] button.

driver.png

This will take you to the download page.

driver2.png

Personally I always use the most recent drivers (Nvidia in my case) . If things seem worse after installation you can always roll back to the previous version.

Driver updates are free.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale

• 12. Re: wmv files jump when imported and played on timeline
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Howard,

If you are intent on converting SD to HD, then you might want to research Red Giant InstantHD. Do not know if it works in PrElements, but will with PrPro. It is about the best solution, for <US$3000. Do make sure that it works in PrE, before you drop the US$400.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: wmv files jump when imported and played on timeline
                                  howardmil18 Level 1

Wowwowo  As a novice,,I downloaded the driver (s) not knowing how many items

to download. After taking 2 files,,,I got NO DISPLAY on my control

panel settings and got scared. Deleted what I downloaded,,,and now cant use

and or reinstall downloaded Premiere elements 8 program!!!

OH BOY , get error as the program opens saying media playing files not

detected. NOW IM screwed, for this happened after re installing downloaded

back up files for Premiere twice!!

• 14. Re: wmv files jump when imported and played on timeline
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

First thing that I would do is boot in Safe Mode, and choose System Restore, choosing a System Restore Point from a time before you started deleting files.

Now, I am totally unclear which files you deleted. Were you downloading the updated driver for your ATI graphics card, or something else entirely different?

Which files did you delete?

Had you downloaded and installed the latest driver yet?

The normal process for updating a video driver is:

1.) from the mfgr's. Web site, locate your video card and your OS.

2.) download that driver.

3.) read the mfgr's. instructions for installing that driver. This is very important, as it might be as simple as just launching the executable file, or quite involved, requiring the removal of a previous driver, or changing settings in the card's utility program. These steps can differ card to card, and even driver version to driver version, so it is VERY important to read all instructions and understand exactly what you must do, and in which order you will need to do them.

4.) create a new System Restore Point. Note: some driver installers will do this as part of their scheme. Do not trust that this will happen. Do a manual System Restore Point and name if something like "Prior to Driver xxxxx," using the driver's number.

5.) install the new driver, per those very important instructions. One might have to Extract files and folders from the downloaded file. Sometimes the driver file(s) will be archived in something like a RAR, ZIP or 7Z file. This will depend on how the driver files are packaged. Often, it will just be an executable file, like an EXE, or similar.

6.) reboot and make any necessary setup adjustments. Often, with the reboot, a dialog screen will come up automatically, and maybe even a wizard to do the settings.

What steps did you take?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: wmv files jump when imported and played on timeline
                                      nealeh Level 5

howardmil18 wrote:

After taking 2 files,,,I got NO DISPLAY on my control

panel settings and got scared. Deleted what I downloaded,,,and now cant use

and or reinstall downloaded Premiere elements 8 program!!!

I  don't understand what you mean by 'After taking 2 files' and 'NO DISPLAY on my control panel settings'. Just downloading the driver file would not do anything to your system until you ran it. Once starting to run it will do its thing, probably asking you to restart the system at least once. At what point did you get scared, and what exactly did you do?

I can't envisage what circumstances installing a video driver would have on trashing a PRE8 installation. Are you running a full copy or a tryout version?

Follow Bill's advice to restore from a System Restore point predating your file deletions. DO NOT TRY AND ABORT THE RESTORE process by powering off the computer or similar.

What Windows version are you running and is it 32 or 64 bit?

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale

• 16. Re: wmv files jump when imported and played on timeline
                                        howardmil18 Level 1

all is well. My trick great technician found it out. Installed updated

graphics card for my computer,,reinstalled components of premiere 8 (four

times) with added material,,,,,,,,,,,,one hour and im back in the

ballgame,,,and hopefully with new graphics card update,,,,NO CRASHES DURING

PROJECTS

THANKS HOWARD