11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2010 6:17 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere to AE to Premiere: Jumpy exported video (CS4)

Ron2420

I have a 3 minute video that I'm trying to export in Premier CS4 but on export it is jumpy and jittery.

I setup everything in Premiere but am using After Effects to key out the green screen. When I go back to Premiere everything looks great. When I export, however, the output (.mp4 file) is jumpy. Here is a link to the video (and i don't believe social media should be banned..it's a joke): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mksLVK4818M

See how jittery it is?

The original file was captured with a Canon HF200 MTS file and has the following stats:

1920x1080 29.97fps (MTS file)

After Effects settings of the clip (by going to Composition > Composition Settings) is:

1920x1080 29.97fps

I render using the Adobe preset .H264 "YouTube Widescreen HD". I did notice that this preset exports at 24fps. Could that be it?

Now the wierd thing is that when I key out using Premiere I don't get this problem. It is only when I key out using After Effects.

Any thoughts?

I have a Dell 1700 Vostro Dual Core 2.1Ghz with 3MB RAM.

• 1. Re: Premiere to AE to Premiere: Jumpy exported video (CS4)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Good luck with that setup and material.

How did you key, what were your export settings, what were your encode settings, what is your OS, to just name a few of the missing details?

Some suggestions... and answer at least the 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article.

• 2. Re: Premiere to AE to Premiere: Jumpy exported video (CS4)
            Ron2420 Level 1

Thanks for the fast response and assistance. Here are all the gory details.

1. In Premiere on the Timeline I right-click on the clip and select 'Replace with After Effects Composition'. This launches AF.

2. I am prompted to create a Save File when AR loads. So I do so.

3. I select Effects > Keying > Keylight 1.2

4. I use the eye dropper and select green on the green screen.

5. I then select View, Screen Matte in the Keylight options

6. I go to screen matte to adjust the black and white (I'm fully white, background is fully black)

7. For Pre-screen blue I type 2.5

8. For Screen shrink/glow: -.5

9. I go to Effects > Matte > Simple Choker: Choke Matte: 1.5

10. I select View, Final Result from the Keylight options

11. I Save the file

I go back to Premiere. It does some thinking, compositing, etc. When the hour glass has stopped, I go to File > Export > Media

Then I have the following Export Settings:

Format: H.264

Preset: YouTube Widescreen HD

NTSC, 1280x720, 24 [fps] progressive

Field Order: None (progressive)

Pixel Aspect: Square Pixel

Profile: High

Level: 3.2

Target Bitrate: 6

Max Bitrate: 9

Original File Setting per right-clicking on the clip in the project window and selecting properties:

Type: MPEG Movie
            File Size: 95.5 MB
            Image Size: 1920 x 1080
            Pixel Depth: 32
            Frame Rate: 29.97
            Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo
            Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
            Total Duration: 00:00:34:00
            Average Data Rate: 2.8 MB / second
            Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Lastly, on my Canon HF200, I record at a setting that reads "Frame Rate: PF30".

It all exports (takes about 30 minutes for this short clip) and yields the result in my original post.

Thanks for the assistance. I look forward to trying what your guys suggest.

• 3. Re: Premiere to AE to Premiere: Jumpy exported video (CS4)
              Ron2420 Level 1

I'm still having the same problem of my export video stuttering but I tried a few things..to no avail but to help troubleshoot I thought I'd share:

1. I tried to export a short clip with no modification at all (no keying, no filters, etc) in Premiere CS4 and it exported fine. No stuttering
              2. I then Chroma Keyed out the green screen using Premiere and exported the movie. Worked fine, no stuttering.
              3. I then tried the same clip and keyed using After Effects (using the process above in my previous post). Stuttering.

So, it seems to be something with After Effects. Does anyone know what it could be? I really want to use the AE keying as it is light years beyond Premiere and yield excellent results.

Thanks...Ron

• 4. Re: Premiere to AE to Premiere: Jumpy exported video (CS4)
                Ron2420 Level 1

Anyone? I'm really frustrated here with trying to get this to work.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Premiere to AE to Premiere: Jumpy exported video (CS4)
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

If you export to H.264 29.97 FPS and watch it on an external monitor, do you still see this jumpy behaviour? It could be YouTube.

• 6. Re: Premiere to AE to Premiere: Jumpy exported video (CS4)
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

From what I see you are doing everything correct.   Your troubleshooting was logical.

You could try a work around by loading the clip directly into AE, do your keying and export it the old fashion way AE Render queue) to a file format that matches the rest of your Pr project.   Then inport this in to Pr and complete/export your project. 

The workflow you used should work; but this workaround may get you in business while figuring out whats wrong with the original workflow.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Premiere to AE to Premiere: Jumpy exported video (CS4)
                      Ron2420 Level 1

It is jittery when I play the clip on my PC, an external monitor, and on YouTube.

• 8. Re: Premiere to AE to Premiere: Jumpy exported video (CS4)
                        Ron2420 Level 1

Thanks Curt...I will try this and let you know what happens.

• 9. Re: Premiere to AE to Premiere: Jumpy exported video (CS4)
                          Ron2420 Level 1

Curt - nice suggestion. It worked...at least on the short clip. Now I need to do the legwork and redo most of the footage and export the entire 3 minutes...but here is what I did.

I pulled in the original raw MTS footage into Premiere. I cut the 20 second section I wanted. I then exported that clip using the Adobe Preset "HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality". I then loaded that exported file into AE. I keyed it out, etc, then saved the file in AE format.

I then loaded the AE file into Adobe Premiere. I added my background. Export > Media, and selected the "YouTube Widescreen HD"

Viola! It worked. No jitters.

Now I'm going to try bringing the raw footage into AE, key out the entire raw footage, saving it, then importing the AE file into Premiere...I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks again, Curt

• 10. Re: Premiere to AE to Premiere: Jumpy exported video (CS4)
                            Ron2420 Level 1

Okay - I think I figured it out. For those who also have this issue I share it with you.

For some reason AF doesn't like raw files that are MTS. So, take all your raw video (MTS) footage, and run it through Media Encoder on the HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality preset.

Use these mp4 files instead of your MTS file to manipulate your video in premiere. Then, AE will happily work and not give you jittery video.

• 11. Re: Premiere to AE to Premiere: Jumpy exported video (CS4)
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ron,

Interesting observations. Thanks for reporting which changes in your workflow worked for you.

Good luck,

Hunt