6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2007 4:55 AM by Newsgroup_User

RGB vs Index Colours

RoujanGreg
      Hi,

I have set up a website for a photographer. She uploads her Jpegs of her photos - and they show up in the site.

The client has come back - saying the photos don't look good enough. She had this to say about them:

"They aren't in sRGB as they are when I upload them. I think the system is still converting them to Index Colour Space which does not look as good on a computer screen and might be causing the halos. Would you check with your designer again?"

Does she have a point? I don't really understand RGB vs Colour Index. Is there a way to have them show as RGB and not Colour Index?

Thanks,

- Greg
        • 1. Re: RGB vs Index Colours
          Level 7
          On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:12:14 +0400, GregInFrance
          <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> Hi,
          >
          > I have set up a website for a photographer. She uploads her Jpegs of her
          > photos - and they show up in the site.
          >
          > The client has come back - saying the photos don't look good enough.
          > She had
          > this to say about them:
          >
          > "They aren't in sRGB as they are when I upload them. I think the system
          > is
          > still converting them to Index Colour Space which does not look as good
          > on a
          > computer screen and might be causing the halos. Would you check with your
          > designer again?"
          >
          > Does she have a point? I don't really understand RGB vs Colour Index.
          > Is there
          > a way to have them show as RGB and not Colour Index?

It actually depend on that misterious "system" you are referring to. If by
          "system" you mean some server script, than it can do anything, at least in
          theory. However, even in theory it can't create JPEG file with indexed
          color - only GIF or PNG.

--
          Ilya Razmanov
          http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
          • 2. Re: RGB vs Index Colours
            Level 7
            Greg,

Along with Ilya's comment, do you have a link we could look at?

alex

GregInFrance wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I have set up a website for a photographer. She uploads her Jpegs of her
            > photos - and they show up in the site.
            >
            > The client has come back - saying the photos don't look good enough. She had
            > this to say about them:
            >
            > "They aren't in sRGB as they are when I upload them. I think the system is
            > still converting them to Index Colour Space which does not look as good on a
            > computer screen and might be causing the halos. Would you check with your
            > designer again?"
            >
            > Does she have a point? I don't really understand RGB vs Colour Index. Is there
            > a way to have them show as RGB and not Colour Index?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > - Greg
            >
            >
            • 4. Re: RGB vs Index Colours
              Level 7
              GregInFrance wrote:
              > Hi - yes. You can see the photos at:
              >
              >
              > http://www.bridgetmccann.com/set_layout.php?set_name=Eliza%20and%20mum&set_id=83
              > &set_layout=4x6,%202x2,%202x2&sub_name=Children&sub_id=1&cat_name=Portraits&cat_
              > id=2

Without anything to compare to it would be hard to look for any
              potential solutions or even determine if there is a real problem here.
              Could you upload an untouched copy of one of the images as they are sent
              from the photographer?

Also, could you tell us what exactly is being done to the images after
              the photographer provides them to whoever? What application opens them,
              what operations are performed on them, etc.

Also, I'll look at them at home later where the computer where I do my
              design work is but, here in a typical office and with typical office
              computer equipment (CRT monitor, very average graphics card), the links
              at the bottom right are downright unreadable as there is not enough
              contrast between the links' color and the black background (and I have
              20/20 vision FWIW). This should be changed.

--
              Stéphane Bergeron
              reach : connect : communicate
              http://www.webfocusdesign.com
              blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
              http://www.pixelyzed.com
              • 5. RGB vs Index Colours
                pixlor Level 4
                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                Also, I'll look at them at home later where the computer where I do my
                design work is but, here in a typical office and with typical office
                computer equipment (CRT monitor, very average graphics card), the links
                at the bottom right are downright unreadable as there is not enough
                contrast between the links' color and the black background (and I have
                20/20 vision FWIW). This should be changed.

Wow. If you're having trouble seeing the links against the background, then the logo in black over the dark grey background is probably invisible. If the photographer is marketing to the home audience, with consumer/business-grade monitors and cards, then I have to agree that the contrast between the logo, the background, and the links should really be increased.

Edit: Google search on indexed color.
                • 6. Re: RGB vs Index Colours
                  Level 7
                  On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:25:40 +0400, GregInFrance =

<webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> id=3D2

I am not seeng anything even close to what would happen in case on =

conversion to Index color. Not to mention that images are JPEGs, and JPE=
                  G =

specs do not allow using palettes.

So, the problem still remain unclear.

Last but not list, I strongly recommend you using http://tinyurl.com/ wh=
                  en =

posting a long links. Having to copy and paste three fragments into =

address field, instead of just clicking the link, is likely to diminish =
                  =

the number of people willing to evaluate your problem.

-- =

Ilya Razmanov
                  http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters