3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2010 12:49 PM by the_wine_snob

Best Quality/Encoding Problems

GabeinaBox Level 1

Hi,

I recently got a Canon Vixia HG21 camcorder (it shoots in AVCHD format) and I tried using it with my Windows computer. The technical specifications of that computer didn't match with the requirements for Premiere Pro CS4, which was my number one choice for editing software. I ended up buying a new iMac (the specifications can be read here: http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html.)

Now I have Premiere Pro CS4 and I really like all of the editing and effects features that are in it. I'm having a little trouble with importing the videos from the camera. I have been using the USB cord that came with the camera to save it on iMovie (in "full" quality) and then putting it into Adobe Premiere. My main problem though is with exporting the video. Since this is my first Mac I really don't know what format/codec is the best to export a video in. I tried exporting it in Mpeg-4 and H.264 formats but I'm really not sure if these are good choices. When I exported both of them the H.264 format had the best quality but I really think that it could have been better. I'm mainly interested in putting the videos on Youtube and occasionally on a DVD.

Another problem (sorry for so many questions) is that when I exported a 5-minute clip using the H.264 format, I left the computer running for a long part of the day and came back. It still had 2 hours to go after running for 7 hours! Is this right? Because it doesn't seem like it should be.

So basically I have three questions:

1. What is the best way to import videos from my camcorder to my iMac?

2. What are the best ways to export those videos from Premiere CS4 with the highest quality possible?

3. How long does encoding usually take and what is the best way to do it?

Thanks for all the help that I know I'll be able to find on this forum.

• 1. Re: Best Quality/Encoding Problems
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry to hear that, what a waste...

1. You simply copy to hard disk

2. Depends on what delivery you want

3. On a MAC it can take long, depends on the MAC; on a PC, if properly configured, it is fast. (One of the side benefits of MAC, next to the price)

• 2. Re: Best Quality/Encoding Problems
            GabeinaBox Level 1

Yeah I'm going to try copying it to the hard disk just to eliminate the iMovie step.

I would want to be able to export it into a good file that will be able to play well on my computer and I would also want to upload it onto the internet and burn it to a disk without it losing any quality. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Best Quality/Encoding Problems
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The Copying of the files to the HDD will be the route with the AVCHD material. The processing speed and ease of editing that footage will depend almost 100% on the speed of your CPU, with the remainder being handled by the RAM and the I/O sub-system (your HDD's).

For an Export format, especially for the Mac, I'd look into the H.264 CODEC. That should work well too for YouTube.

Good luck,

Hunt