11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2010 9:28 AM by CZorn

Option to using media browser

CZorn

Hi:  Just purchased XDcam EX1R.  Did some tests importing footage to premiere and was surprised to find out that if I want to use media browser I have to purchase the MainConcept plug in, $389USD.  I remember reading somewhere on this forum that there is another way to do it.  Can I just drag the native clips from the camera onto my computer drive without clip browser, rename them, then import them into premiere.  Whats the stability like in premiere with editing the native mp4 files versus the MXF files that you encode with browser.  Thanks, Christine

• 1. Re: Option to using media browser
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

I think you have been misled.  You should be able to browse XDCAMEX files with media browser.  Pr can edit them natively.

Do you have the Pr trial?  It is severely crippled.

• 2. Re: Option to using media browser
            CZorn Level 1

Hi Curt:

I have a full version PrCS4 for just over a year.  I can view clips in MB but when I export them, R click in browser window to my hard-drive, I can select various encodes, eb. MXF for NLE.  I open Premiere and import the clip and it has a MainConcept watermark in the corner.  I believe when I first launched the export, it said 30 day trial for MainConcept.  This is what shipped with my XDcam in Canada.  The op manual is 120 pages, haven't been through it as I've had deadlines.  Perhaps I need to take time over the weekend and read the manual, perhaps I'm doing something wrong.  Althoug, you said I could look at the clips in MB, then bring them in native.  That sounds like what I am looking to do.  How do you do that and can you rename the clips?  Do you just rename them once you've brought them onto your hard drive?  Also, I don't have a reader yet, its on order, should get it any day.  So I'm exporting straight from the EX1R.  Thanks, C

• 3. Re: Option to using media browser
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Make it simple for yourself. Don't use MB. Use Clip Browser to export from SxS to hard disk. That creates a BPAV directory. Open PR and import the complete BPAV directory. Disregard the error messages you get about unsupported files. Skip them.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Option to using media browser
                CZorn Level 1

Okay, thats very helpful.  Could you just clarify where 'clip browser' is and how I use it rather than media browser? THanks, C

• 5. Re: Option to using media browser
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Clip Browser is the Sony utility supplied with the camera.

• 6. Re: Option to using media browser
                    CZorn Level 1

Sorry, ya its Clip Browser. I was calling it Media Browser.  I'll read the manual over the weekend.  I think what I have to do is use clip browser, but export the file from the camera natively not MXF for NLE.  That way it doesn't engage the Mainconcept codec software, right, which I have to pay for as its an added plug in to Clip Browser?  Thanks.

• 7. Re: Option to using media browser
                      Curt Wrigley Level 4

You are making this much harder than it should be.

Use either the sw that came with the cam or your OS file browser to move the complete dir structure from your camera to your hard drive.  Dont do any conversion.

Then use media broswer in Pr to view the movie files on your harddrive you want to import into Pr's bins.  

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Option to using media browser
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>I'll read the manual over the weekend

I have to chuckle about the number of people who ask questions here, and it turns out they've never read the manual

Read the manual FIRST and then ask questions when something is not understood (computer manuals can be confusing, so help is sometimes needed from someone with experience... but... read first)

• 9. Re: Option to using media browser
                          CZorn Level 1

Ya I know I've got to read first.  Just thought I would fast track as like most of us, we're busy with deadlines and wear all the hats in the business.  Thanks everyone.  I was just caught off guard when I saw that Mainconcept is a plug in that you have to pay for.

• 10. Re: Option to using media browser
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Mainconcept is a plug in that you have to pay for

I don't work for Adobe, or have any inside knowledge, but from what I've read in this (and previous) forum over the last several years, I would say that Premiere (now Pro) is targeted at codecs that are DESIGNED for editing

The one I use, and which is native to all flavors of Premiere, is DV AVI type 2 with 48khz sound... I don't do HD, but as far as I know, at least "some" of the HD formats are native to Premiere Pro

Any other, compressed, format is not native to Premiere because those compressed formats are really not MADE to be edited... they are made to be viewed

Other companies have add-ons which work to extend Premiere... but you have to pay

Click the link near the top of my notes page to learn more about trying to edit compressed files

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

• 11. Re: Option to using media browser
                              CZorn Level 1

Thanks, I'll check that out too.