3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2010 11:25 AM by Ann Bens

What to do with one 25i and one 25p file in same Timeline???

VanjaMarin

Hey!

I was bothering you with questions of how do I put 30p and 25i footage together, but things have changed. [i]HUNTREX and ANN BENS, thanx a bunch for your help)[/i]

Canon released new Firmware for its 5D MkII camera, so I can shoot 25p and 24p... But now the problem is still there!

Now I have Interlaced and Progressive footage to put together!!!!

I also decided to get Cineform NEOSCENE which converts both MPEG-2 from my Sony FX-1 HDV camcorder and AVCHD (H.264) from Canon 5D into CINEFORM-AVI...

So, to avoid mixing formats in codec part - I ended up with those AVIs!

So for the first time yesterday I imported AVI-s made by NEOSCENE from both my FX-1 25fps (1080i) Sony camcorder and my 5D MkII 25fps progressive (1080p) into my PREMIERE PRO..

Little difference in Contrast (Canon is better!!!) - but now I am left with NEW PROBLEM!!!

I have, ergo, one Cineform-AVI, which is INTERLACED, and the other Cineform-AVI which is PROGRESSIVE (both 25 fps)...

]Which Preset to choose in PPRO?

I tried with Sony's XDCAM EX 1080 25i preset - but then the Progressive material seems to have lot of flickering... Not to mention that both have YELLOW LINE above in Timeline - meaning it is not the Preset for those files, but it seems to be my best choice (regarding resolution and FPS)!

]Now, HOW TO HANDLE THOSE TWO FILES ON TIMELINE - One 25i, the other 25p?

Do I deinterlace the 25i or do something else with 25p? How? Any Tricks?

What would you do?

And what preset would you use????

Hope you'll be able to help me with this one!:)

V.

• 1. Re: What to do with one 25i and one 25p file in same Timeline???
          dradeke Adobe Employee

I'll be honest and admit that I didn't read your whole thread, but the simple question is did you try mixing the two formats on the timeline to see what the result was?  Premiere Pro is fundamentally resolution independent which allows users to mix and match formats and let Premiere handle the heavy lifting.

When outputting, check the visual output tab on AME to ensure you don't have interlacing issues.  Beyond that, it should be pretty straight forward.

Dennis

• 2. Re: What to do with one 25i and one 25p file in same Timeline???
            Huntrex Level 2

Hello again!

If it were me, I would deinterlace the 25i footage and keep the project progressive. But it does really depend on what your final output requires.

Little difference in Contrast (Canon is better!!!)

Try using Premiere's color correction tools (fast color corrector, curves, etc.) for that.

I tried with Sony's XDCAM EX 1080 25i preset - but then the Progressive material seems to have lot of flickering.

Did you try interlacing the footage (Right click on clip, select "field options", and check "interlace consecutive frames")?

Huntrex

• 3. Re: What to do with one 25i and one 25p file in same Timeline???
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Cineform will give you the yellow line anyway.

Do not deinterlace your interlaced footage as you will be throwing away half you vertikal resolution. Which means qualityloss and we wont want that.

I would choose a hdv interlaced preset. 1080i50.

What will be your end product?