4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2010 8:36 AM by JaysonM-Y

Framerate Issues

Shanghai Six Level 1

All:

I'm fairly new to After Effects and I'm making up a lot of the stuff I'm doing as I'm going along, so if it's common knowledge or basic, please forgive me.

I created:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNSYL0DCb0E&feature=player_embedded

The intro and several of the clips that are mixed with live action clips from the game were created directly in After Effects.  When I export them to AVI files, I'm asked the format I wish for them to be in.  To keep things simple, I go with the standard Cinepak settings with "best" framerate and "medium".  The goal is to hit 30 fps, but as you can see by the video, they're crawling at 15 or so fps. 

How in the hell do I fix this if I'm trying to save it at one setting and the video is randomly exporting it at another?  I'm sure there's an easy explanation, but damned if I can figure it out.  Thanks a lot everyone!

• 1. Re: Framerate Issues
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

How in the hell do I fix this... ?

You read the help:

Rendering and Exporting

I know it hurts, but in so many words: You are doing it all wrong. Never use Export, use the Render Queue and its multitude of options and formats! For fluid desktop playback and upload to YouTube H.264 or Quicktime H.264 are everyone's favorite these days...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Framerate Issues
            maxcavsm

Well, it's definiately a start.  Something to try for next time.  Thank you very much!

• 3. Re: Framerate Issues
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Keep in mind, AE is not like a non-linear editor or compression software; it reads each frame at a time so can't do multipass encoding. Dave LaRonde puts it better:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files

showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial

feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media

Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime

Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all.

• 4. Re: Framerate Issues
                JaysonM-Y Level 3

Salzam speaks the truth. Here's an article for h.264 encoding, through quicktime, that you might find helpful.

Apple - QuickTime - Tutorials - Creating Amazing Video Content with H.264