7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2010 6:49 AM by Cris is Bliss

Getting a one channel stereo track to be mono

Cris is Bliss Level 1

Hello all.

I recorded some footage using an attached mic on input 1 of the camera and on input two I turned off.  the result was that only one channel of the stereo pair has sound on it.

I would like to know how can I get the right channel to come up the middle in Premiere so that it out puts to both speakers.

Is there a way to change a stereo track in to a mono track or is there any Audio plug in that will allow me pan the channels independently or do I need to take the sound into Sound booth and do it there.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Getting a one channel stereo track to be mono
          shooternz Level 6

Clip >Audio> Channel Mapping

• 2. Re: Getting a one channel stereo track to be mono
            Cris is Bliss Level 1

Thank you Shooternz,

OK I see, I must choose the clip in the Project window an not the time line. then follow your instructions.

I also found another way, If you apply from the Effects > Audio Effects > both the Right fill and Left fill to a clip in the timeline and check only one of them, the other channel will come out in both channels

• 3. Re: Getting a one channel stereo track to be mono
              shooternz Level 6

Correct ...except Channel Mapping is more convenient that applying effects to  clips on a timeline if you need to affect all of them at once.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Getting a one channel stereo track to be mono
                Cris is Bliss Level 1

Right again,

Is there anyway to apply a plug in to a track in the Audio window. Seams like they should have made the tracks in the Audio window with inserts for plug ins.  Or is this only possible in Soundbooth

My situation was that I made a video and sent it to MySpace. but the volume was a little low in comparison to other videos.

So I did increase the volume of the individual tracks in the Audio Window but it was not enough and the Master track volume defaults to full on (0 dB) so there was no way for me to increase the volume there.

Utlimately I had to apply a volume plug to the each clip that I had trimmed in the timeline or select each clip in the program window and choose CLIP > AUDIO >change gain

• 5. Re: Getting a one channel stereo track to be mono
                  VanjaMarin

There's also a way to do it in more controllable environment - SOUNDBOOTH - where, at the same session, you can "repair some other little things, since you're already there - like normalizing your file, getting rid of peaks, hum, etc...

And all of that you can do (using dynamic link) from Premiere's Timeline...

Right-click on Audio that you wanna work on, choose EDIT IN SOUNDBOOTH...(It doesn't work in all Presets, but in that case open SoundBooth and choose IMPORT ADOBE PREMIERE SEQUENCE... However - same time you do changes in SoundBooth, they already apply to your PPRO timeline!!!

Unless you choose to import it as independent Audio file and work on it, keeping the original safe...

Your Audio will open in SoundBooth single channel view - as single stereo channel, where your Audio will be either on upper or lower half of that Waweform - and therewith, heard only on left or right side of your speakers... That itself isn't that problematic, it can be maybe fixed with PPROs Audio effect Fill Right / Left... but the problem is the ammount of hum left on the other half of your stereo sound...

So, what you wanna do is Right-click on your opened Waveform in Soundbooth and choose INSERT CHANNELS (or INSERT WAVEFORMS) into MULTI TRACK FILE...

Multitrack rack will open, and all you have to do is copy your AUDIO from channel 1 into channel 2 - and thing is solved - miraculously you have perfectly even panned AUDIO clip... (Don't forget to DELETE channel 1 which is still there, containing just left or right portion and amplifying your mix....

After you've deleted ch1, you can enjoy ch2 with perfect result. Upper left corner of MULTITRACK VIEW has EDIT tab - click on it to get back into SINGLE VIEW - and from there either export your AUDIO, or just save it (if Dynamic Linked with PPRO - it'll change in PPRO TImeline as well!!!

That is more complicated way, but, as I mentioned above, it is worth doing if you plan to do some other repairments on your Audio track!

I hope I didn't confuse you with this post

CHeers!

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Getting a one channel stereo track to be mono
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You can add Track-Level Effects (some, but not all) in the Audio Mixer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Getting a one channel stereo track to be mono
                      Cris is Bliss Level 1

Thanks Hunt,

But I don't follow you on how to do this, could you give a little more details.