13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2010 12:46 PM by caixapostal

After Effects: Unable to create Font.

winkj4909 Level 1

Hello. I know this problem had been addressed about a year ago but for that user seemed never resolved.

Previous thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/395988

I am with this same problem. I cleanly installed Adobe Production Premium Trial version on my new built system

but it seems AE is not functioning correctly

Running: Adobe Production Premium CS4 "Trial"

My system Info

Processor: i5 750 Quad Core @ 2.67GHz

Graphic Card: Nvidia MSI GTS 250 "updated drivers"

4 Gigs of Ram

Anti-virus Software: AVG Internet Security "Trial"

Recent Codecs Installed: Quicktime, DivX, Adobe Flash Player

I have tried reinstalling it numerous times, using the "Adobe CS4 Clean Uninstall Utility."

I have also checked all my fonts and they are all installed.

I have been searching online for days and nothing has come up. Perhaps I restart my search here?

Thank You!

~JP

• 1. Re: After Effects: Unable to create Font.
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Screen resolution and refresh ratre? ClearType/ font antialaising settings? Using a specific visual theme? Changed the default system font size?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects: Unable to create Font.
            winkj4909 Level 1

Screen Resolution: 1024 x 768 at 75hz

Font Size: Normal

Cleartype/ font antialaising settings: I left it on default with Windows 7 "Professional"

I am using Windows Aero with my onw desktop background but using the default visuals

I built this computer myself so if required I can give you info on any parts I put it down to the barcode number.

~JP

• 3. Re: After Effects: Unable to create Font.
              winkj4909 Level 1

Just checked my system again. I have cleartype font on. I tried to turn it off to see if it would make my adobe programs work but no go.

• 4. Re: After Effects: Unable to create Font.
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

From here: http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/systemreqs/

1,280x900 display

Clearly, you have an issue there, either with the resolution itself or by forcing your operating system to to something not so sensible with color modes and all that due to the insufficient resolution.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: After Effects: Unable to create Font.
                  winkj4909 Level 1

Oh! crud muffins! I didnt realise . This is such a old display =(! I will have to upgrade it eventually but for now I am stuck with it. Thank you so much for the advice. I am gonna have to try another display if I can find one with a higher screen resolution.

thanks!

JP

• 6. Re: After Effects: Unable to create Font.
                    winkj4909 Level 1

Okay I now have far better screen to handle the resolution actuall 1900x1080 resolution but still After Effects still gives me "Unable to create Font" Error... I do not understand why its doing that. I have looked all over for answers but still cant find a solution? Is there anything else I should look at?

Thank you. JP

• 7. Re: After Effects: Unable to create Font.
                      winkj4909 Level 1

I have tried giving myself full control and the programs full permission. I have tried changing multiple languages and even deleting fonts. There must be some sort of solution to this. Its After Effects giving me the unable to create font, Adobe Media Encoder giving me the "runtime Error" and Adobe Flash "unexpectedly quit" That is literally most of Production premium. It must be something with the Windows 7 Professional or something with the software where they cant seem to communicate between one another...

• 8. Re: After Effects: Unable to create Font.
                        winkj4909 Level 1

When I first built my computer, I installed Windows 7 professions Upgrade disk.

The first programs I installed was the drivers for all my hardware, graphic card, wireless router, etc.

I only have one game installed which I seldom play since this is my production computer.

When I installed the trial to adobe production premium it did not function from the beginning but I dont know

if it may have been the drivers I have installed?

• 9. Re: After Effects: Unable to create Font.
                          winkj4909 Level 1

Is there anyone that is running these programs perfectly fine on Windows 7 64 bit? Just curious as this does not seem to be a direct fix for this problem which probably few people have please give me feedback so I can keep solving it.

Thanks

JP

• 10. Re: After Effects: Unable to create Font.
                            FilmButcher Level 1

I had this problem on my Mac, 10.6.3. I am using font management software (Suitcase Fusion). When starting AE it would say "Unable to create font" and would shutdown.

I tried to start the app from a different user account and this time it worked. So I knew After Effects was trying use a font that Suitcase had disabled.

Using Suitcase I temporarily activated the most commonly used fonts then turned them off, one by one, until AE ceased to work again. Turns out the culprit is a version of the Verdana font. All you need is to make sure this font is activated.

So, to avoid getting the "unable to create font" message make sure Verdana font (TT, v5.0.1) is activated before AE runs. I have now activated it permanently on my system.

Hope this helps someone.

• 11. Re: After Effects: Unable to create Font.
                              billsantry Level 1

Hmm- I tried the Verdana trick on my mac but, no joy.

I'm still getting the "Unable To Create Font" error on AE CS5 trial.

Anyone else? Anyone?

• 12. Re: After Effects: Unable to create Font.
                                Will Lockwood Level 1

Did you install the entire Verdana family? AECS5 needs the bold and italic versions in addition to the regular font.

If that doesn't work, try rebooting the Mac and hold down the shift key to start in safe-mode. This will reset the OS font database.

• 13. Re: After Effects: Unable to create Font.
                                  caixapostal Level 1

*** IT WORKED! ***

Thanks, Will!

I've been Googling the answer for this "unable to create font" error for ages now. And invariably found the same solution: "Install the Verdana truetype and everything will be normal again."

Actually, the trick is in your reply: "... the Verdana family". I've moved my Verdana around the three Library -> Fonts folders and still AE wouldn't launch. When I installed the other 2 variations (bold and italic), AE finally came back to life on my Mac.

Thank you again! Yey!