8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2010 3:56 AM by cruiser100

camera recomendation

cruiser100

I've been using PE4 for some years now to edit movie clips from a still camera, I'm now looking to get a basic movie camera and am concerned about file issues and compattbility with PE which I am running on a HP Pavilion with intel 2 core quad processor, 4gig of ram. I'm considering the Canon Legria FS200, which has memory card storage, or the Canon DC410 recording on Mini DVDs, has any one any recommendations.

• 1. Re: camera recomendation
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I would not recommend either of those cams, cruiser. They both are hybrid solutions to video (in addition to DVD cams being pretty much obsolete) and, while they will work with Premiere Elements, they will not do so efficiently.

The absolute best formats for working with Premiere Elements are tape-based. MiniDV remains the ideal format for any video you plan to edit on your home computer, and HDV (tape-based hi-definition) works almost as effeciently.

With your system, you definitely want to stay away from AVCHD, a hard drive hi-def format that takes about twice the power you have to edit.

Tape-based camcorders are not easy to find -- but the can be found online and they can be tremendous values! An HDV camcorder can be had for about $600 and a miniDV camcorder can be had for under $300 -- or as low as $150 for a good used one. (Used cams can be a great deal, since they really don't wear out.)

If none of these are available, you can go with a hard drive standard definition camcorder. These work with Premiere Elements -- however, the video must be continually rendered as you're editing.

As I said, I would not recommend camcorders that save to a memory card rather than a hard drive. It's POSSIBLE to use these cams with Premiere Elements -- but not without challenges.

• 2. Re: camera recomendation
            cruiser100 Level 1

Thanks Steve for your prompt reply, so my search continues, I now have a

clear idea on what to look for.

• 3. Re: camera recomendation
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For a Firewire DV Camera - look at Panasonic PV-GS320 or GS500 (Note that I have not used either, but they have good reviews)

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_PV_GS320/4505-6500_7-32330317.html
              http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/panasonic-pv-gs500/4505-6500_7-31660646.html
              • 4. Re: camera recomendation
                Paul787 Level 3

I use the Panasonic PV-GS500 and have found it to be an excellent camcorder to get me into video editing.  I found mine on eBay for about $500.

Canon still makes one miniDV camcorder, the ZR960 for about $250. I have no experience with it but it appears to get good reviews on Amazon.

• 5. Re: camera recomendation
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Obviously, a lot depends on what you want to spend!

As you can see, a miniDV can be had for as little as $100 to well over $1000.

• 6. Re: camera recomendation
                    rtprtp Level 1

Cruiser,

I use the Canon XHA1 with PE7 on an Alienware quad core, 4 gig ram system. It is an HDV, miniDV which has given me exceptional results. I would worry about any AVCHD Cam! If you want to see some samples, just reply ;-)

Stan

• 7. Re: camera recomendation
                      DRC_40 Level 1

If you are wanting to spend less than $200 Sony has the DCR-HC52 on sale for $199 direct from their site. Its tape based miniDV with firewire connection. For a low cost camcorder it will produce good quality video in wide screen mode and the captured .avi files work good with Premiere Elements.

• 8. Re: camera recomendation
                        cruiser100 Level 1

Thanks for the advise, the DCR-HC52 was out of stock on the UK site, however

the DRC-HC51E was available and in stock at my local Sony store so I got it

and am about to put it to the test.

Once again many thanks.