3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2010 3:08 PM by tjhb

Zoom to Selection

Marijan Tompa [tomaxxi] Level 4

Hey!

Well, what do you think to have option to zoom to current selection?

Often working with big images and selections, and while makeing lasso selection I'm

panning view because of zoom. And when I'm done, it would be nice to be able to

zoom directly to selection.

tomaxxi

• 1. Re: Zoom to Selection
          tjhb Level 1

Great suggestion. I miss this every day.

Almost as good would be the option to "Ping" the selection, i.e. make it flash prominently a few times, to make it easier to find a small selection in a large image.

(Both together would be great.)

• 2. Re: Zoom to Selection
            Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
              "Ping" the selection i.e. make it flash prominently a few times, to make it easier to find a small selection in a large image

Just hit your Q key twice.

it would be nice to be able to zoom directly to selection.

Yes this is a valid feature request, and there is no direct workaround. Of course a very quick and precise way to zoom in to any specific area on the canvas, is by holding down Command > Space Bar (Control > Space PC) and dragging a zoom marquee.

• 3. Re: Zoom to Selection
              tjhb Level 1
                "Ping" the selection i.e. make it flash prominently a few times, to make it easier to find a small selection in a large image

Just hit your Q key twice.

Thanks Mark. That's a nice quick technique for large selections and/or moderately sized images.

No use at all, however, in an image say 30,000 by 20,000 pixels, with one or more selections just a few pixels across. (I just tried it.)

This is typical for me, and I want to be able to find these small selections, or at least see roughly where they are, from the perspective of the whole image.

In other words I want some help finding a needle in a haystack.

"Pinging" would be ideal here. (So would zooming to the selection. But you can see that that is most helpful when only one patch of pixels is selected.)