6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2010 3:13 AM by jdldn

Filter for bold affect?

jdldn Level 1

Ive downloaded a font that I cant make bold in the normal way. Is there a filter I can use to achive the same thing?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Filter for bold affect?
          jdldn Level 1

Also, I have a font that is too 'bolded', can I use a filter or something to thin it out?

• 2. Re: Filter for bold affect?
            jdldn Level 1

What if I convert the text to vecotrs, would there be a way of doing it then?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Filter for bold affect?
              pixlor Level 4

Hmm. That's a thought, yes. You could add a stroke to text that's been converted to paths and you might get something visually passable. But it really depends on the font. A bold font increases the width of the stroke, but it doesn't increase the height of the letter forms. See: Aa Aa ?

If you want to use a font in multiple weights, you're really better off using a font that comes in multiple weights, as each letter has been carefully re-drawn for the bold face - a bold glyph isn't just a fatter version of the corresponding regular glyph.

And, in case you're about to tell me you don't have budget for multiple-weight fonts...start here:

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/06/05/beautiful-high-quality-free-fonts-for-your-desi gns/

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Filter for bold affect?
                jdldn Level 1

Addind a solid shadow in a horrizontal direction seems to help fill out text.

Ive found a font thats perfect but I really want to thin it out. Either by converting the text to a path or not, could I add an outline that sat within the text? If I made this outline the same as my background color it should 'thin it out' and I guess Id just have to see if it looked right or not.

Ideally this 'cut away' from the original would actaully remove from the vector path, but having a background color instead should look the same if the background was a solid color.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Filter for bold affect?
                  pixlor Level 4

If the font is too wide, then is it really perfect? What font are you using? You might try going to the WhatTheFont forum (http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/forum/) and seeing if the experts there know of one that's similar, but that comes in multiple widths.

Drawing fonts is something that takes practice. If convert your text to paths and start editing the nodes to make the font narrower, I predict you will be hard-pressed to end up with letter forms that have a consistent stroke width.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Filter for bold affect?
                    jdldn Level 1

OK. Ill have a play around and hit the forum if I fail. Thanks