3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2010 5:19 AM by Dominic Michael

Change Global Navigation Links

Beewax2278 Level 1

OK, i have a site up and running for my customer, which they are extremely happy with being able change the pages and information. However, the dreaded question came when they asked "How do i add another page to the global navigation"

Currently the global navigation is locked in a dreamweaver template, so that i can spider through any changes easily enough through the other pages...there are quite a few.

I can;t exaclty say you cant add a new gloabl navigation page to a CMS website!

So does anybody know how i can allow the client to add a link to the gloabl avigation than will appear on all the other pages....without having to manually go to every page to add the new link?

I have looked a little bit into Server Side Includes, but if anyone has any suggestions...i would love to hear it please.

It would be good if you could have an adminstrator change a dreamweaver tempalte page via contribute should they wish to makea global change.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Change Global Navigation Links
          CVK-USA Level 1

Short answer: I think SSI is the way to go especially considering Contribute CS5...

I ended up placing the main menu into an editable region for one of my clients.. he's happy with it. I guess with recent Contribute versions, a library object might work as well.

• 2. Re: Change Global Navigation Links
            kdbranam

Same here. My client wants to edit sidebar

menu's which are server side includes. I've read all the instructions for editing permissions in Admin.

http://blogs.adobe.com/contribute/2009/02/server_side_includes_1.html

But after all that, when I get to actually trying to cursor into the sidebar "editible region" it won't allow my cursor.

I have a work around but I subbornly want to make it work like the instruction say.

What am I missing here?

Kenan

Contribute CS5

PC

• 3. Re: Change Global Navigation Links
              Dominic Michael Adobe Employee

The templates used to create pages having the code for left frame:

<div id="leftsidebar_frame">

<div id="leftsidebar_content">

<!--#include virtual="../fw-includes/fw-menu-left.ssi"-->

</div>

</div>

<!--LEFTSIDEBAR FRAME END-->

Please change it to:

<div id="leftsidebar_frame">

<div id="leftsidebar_content">

<!-- #BeginEditable "leftmenu" -->

<!--#include virtual="../fw-includes/fw-menu-left.ssi"-->

<!-- #EndEditable -->

</div>

</div>

<!--LEFTSIDEBAR FRAME END-->

And remove <!-- #BeginEditable "leftmenu" --> and <!-- #EndEditable --> from the included fw-menu-left.ssi file.

Hope this helps you.