6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2010 9:07 AM by JETalmage

split line/tone Pantone swatches of same color look different

amyemiller

QUESTION: In Illustrator I need to split a Pantone color into two different swatches (line and tone). When I duplicate the swatch and rename it with an "L" in front, the color looks different (with overprint preview)! Same CMYK values – I checked. I know it has something to do with how the swatch is named, because if I rename both swatches I don't have this problem. What's going on and how can I fix this?

• 1. Re: split line/tone Pantone swatches of same color look different
          John Danek Level 4

Not sure, but I would not recommend renaming Pantone Spot color swatches.  What's the point?  I mean, why would you mess with the names?

• 2. Re: split line/tone Pantone swatches of same color look different
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

John Danek wrote:

Not sure, but I would not recommend renaming Pantone Spot color swatches.  What's the point?  I mean, why would you mess with the names?

I think they wants to use one swatch for certain parts of elements like the stroke and and perhaps the other for fills but of different and not necessarily common paths.

Changing the name make it easier for them to know which is applied to the other. There coud be a reason to keep them separate and to have the names be different to make the work flow effiecient.

I think the reason is that since they are now two different swatches it treats it as two different inks one from the book and the other from a CMYK mix.

It simply does not recognize the second swatch as a book color which would have to be a second plate with the same ink.

You cannot rename a book color.

So unless you were planning to hit the piece with two plates with the same spot color what you want to do is not possible.

I can see where you want this but I see no way of fixing it except a feature request.

Perhaps placing the same swatch in two different color groups?

• 3. Re: split line/tone Pantone swatches of same color look different
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What's going on and how can I fix this?

There's nothing to fix, it's intended behavior. As Wade explained, when renaming, you decouple the swatch and effectively convert it into a process color, which are treated differently in terms of densities, blending and ink. I don't really understand why you would do this, anyway. If it's intended as spot colors, then it would end up looking the same regardless whether it is based on separate color swatches or not, and for conventional 4c printing it would not matter, either. If for some reason you need to keep fills and contours organized separately, then layers are probably a better way to solve your problem without messing up your colors/ inks.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: split line/tone Pantone swatches of same color look different
                JETalmage Level 6

Specifics?

WHICH Pantone book and color are you using?

What EXACTLY are you doing other than duplicating a Swatch and renaming the duplicate? Include EVERY step you are performing.

What VERSION of Illustrator are you using?

I don't see any indication in this post that the Pantone color is necesarily a spot color. And I don't have any difficulty changing the name of a Pantone spot color Swatch. (The program does it itself when you duplicate the Swatch.)

JET

• 5. Re: split line/tone Pantone swatches of same color look different
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

JETalmage wrote:

I don't see any indication in this post that the Pantone color is necesarily a spot color. And I don't have any difficulty changing the name of a Pantone spot color Swatch. (The program does it itself when you duplicate the Swatch.)

JET

Look a little closer.

with overprint preview

There could be no different if it were process colors Pantone or other process colors. I know of no way of overprinting process colors.

And go ahead and argue the point if you wish.

• 6. Re: split line/tone Pantone swatches of same color look different
                    JETalmage Level 6
                    I know of no way of overprinting process colors.

JET