7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2010 4:43 PM by amurraybogart

Canon T2i footage

rtprtp Level 1

Hi All,

I am considering buying the Canon T2i. Has anyone had any experience edting the VIDEO from this camera in PE7? I understand that it saves the video files as .MOVs, so that should not be an issue. Also, does anyone know where I could download a sample clip?

Thanks, Stan

• 1. Re: Canon T2i footage
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Stan,

I do not know that camera. What is important is what is inside those MOV files. This ARTICLE will give you some background on video formats, that are but wrappers and can contain so many different things. In your case, just mentally replace "AVI" with "MOV."

Often the mfgr's. sites do NOT tell you what CODEC is used. You might have to dig a bit. Even reviewers often fail to state the CODEC. That is all important. That will likely tell you how well, or poorly, the footage will edit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Canon T2i footage
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Like the Canon 5D, this camera shoots video in a format that is not natively compatible with Premiere Elements -- so I would say it would not be a happy marriage.

A better fit would be an editor that uses H.264 MOVs natively, like iMovie or Final Cut or, if you want to stay in a PC environment, Quicktime Pro, a video processor and limited editor that can be downloaded from the Apple site for $29.

• 3. Re: Canon T2i footage
              rtprtp Level 1

Great news fellas,

Found native clips for the T2i at

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-550d-rebel-t2i-sample-clips-gallery/473566-canon-eos-rebel -t2i-550d-production-model-hd-samples.html

Brought em in and they play flawlessly after rendering. This will make a great second cam for our business.

I'm buyin!

Stan

• 4. Re: Canon T2i footage
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Great find with those test files. That has obviously been very helpful to you, and thanks for posting the link, so others can test, should they think about that camera.

If the particular CODEC is the same as for the 5D/7D MK II's, then you might want to take a look at some of the articles on those files in this, and the PrPro forum. Lot of discussions, and only part of that discussion focuses on the particular Canon cameras - most is on the file format and CODEC. Also, the articles/blogs linked in this POST might be useful in addition to the forum discussions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Canon T2i footage
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Meantime, make sure you take these test clips all through way through to outputting a file or burning a DVD.

Some issues with clips (frame rate and interlacing issues, for instance) don't show up until after you create your DVD. Don't assume that because the clips play in the program after rendering that this means the program is fully assimilating them.

• 6. Re: Canon T2i footage
                    rtprtp Level 1

I shared the final program as a high def .m2t file and it played fine. I will take your suggestion and burn a dvd.

Thanks, ST

• 7. Re: Canon T2i footage
                      amurraybogart

have just bought the t2i and am having trouble with calling it up in org

anizer and elements. bridge will play back but not edit.

some thing is still wrong with this hardware software combingation so

be  carefull. It will probably be fixed shortly but it

is frustrating at the moment