0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2010 7:39 PM by rpollack-2

Help with scripting TOC

rpollack-2 Level 1

Is there a way to script creating the TOC? (PC, CS4 InDesign)

When I create the TOC I go through a number of actions:

Select "Table of Contents..." from the Layout menu,

I then select certain items in the TOC window, such as "include book documents..."

I then select the styles from the right-hand list and 'add' to the left-hand list.

I would like to have a script that would select the styles in the right-hand list by style name.

I know that I can set a style for the TOC, but that has caused some issues with my co-workers. For example, if one of my co-workers places a "headings" style into a style group in one section (document) in a book, and another group with a different group name in another section (document) in the final book, then that style name is repeated multiple times in the right-hand list in the toc dialog. So, a TOC style is beyond their comprehension. It just confuses them.

So, rather than set a toc style, I would like to script the process. Is it possible to get the right-hand list out, filter it through a script that looks for any style with the word "head" in it, move it to the left-hand list, apply a toc style and done?

any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank in advance,

RP