19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2010 2:19 PM by the_wine_snob

Trouble Editing 60 fps Stereoscopic Footage

tonpole Level 1

Working with a quadcore, 12GB ram, Win7 x64, SSD for OS, raid 0 for media, which ive tried @ proxies resolutions of 1024/512 & 512/256, using both lagarith and highly compressed jpeg sequences, and premeire stutters incessantly, but only at 60fps, which i have to edit at because this project demands that level of precision. Damn, Im already tired of this consumer grade crap and ive just started. I could bash adobe, but ive had worse experiences on FCP, so all im gonna say is that is a damn shame there isnt a single competent company out there capable of creating a solid NLE for less than the price of a house.

• 1. Re: Why premiere is such a piece of _________
          shooternz Level 6

Instead of petulance...why not tell us all what you are doing and to what and what your workflow is.

Some screen grabs might even help so we might understand the complexity of your ISSUE.

• 2. Re: Why premiere is such a piece of _________
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might offer some tips on the types of info that will be so very important to people trying to help sort out your issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Why premiere is such a piece of _________
              tonpole Level 1

I thought i made my workflow perfectly clear, im trying to edit footage @ 60fps, and ive tried both lagarith and jpeg sequences. Do you think 512x256 jpeg sequences are too much for my raid 0 or is it that premiere is garbage? Because im really trying to wrap my head around this one.

• 4. Re: Why premiere is such a piece of _________
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                Because im really trying to wrap my head around this one.

Basically this is a bad idea, whether it is a pole or JPEG's. Venting/ranting does not help either. Dropping a raid0 in without details elicits the remark that, yes, it is too slow because of your interface, wrong OS, wrong hardware, etc. If you can't help us, we can't help you. EOS and have a nice day.

• 5. Re: Why premiere is such a piece of _________
                  shooternz Level 6
                  I thought i made my workflow perfectly clear, im trying to edit footage @ 60fps, and ive tried both lagarith and jpeg sequences

Thats all we get!

60fps footage means nothing without us knowing what the "footage" is.

If you told us about your  workflow between PPRO and AEFX ...that would be helpful. (eg is it Dynamically Linked or are you using intermediates?)

If you mentioned something about your project and comp settings...that is essential to our understanding.

How about letting us know a bit about your knowledge/experience with NLE , compositing and graphics applications.

...or is it that premiere is garbage?

BTW: Premiere rock$ for me!  (SD / HD Pro environment, broadcast to Online production of television commercials - Premiere / Afetr Effects, P.S, AI user since first vers.  - Dabbled with FCP)

• 6. Re: Why premiere is such a piece of _________
                    tonpole Level 1

My footage was captured raw, 30fps, 1280x1024, stereoscopic so its 2560x1024, but ive been working with proxies of 1280x512, and have tried that in comps of 2560x1024 to 512x256, as well as with 50% compressed jpeg sequences. My issue right now is with basic editing @ 60fps.Also unticked frameblending, which helps some. Its editing at 60fps that doesnt work, regardless of comp size or footage bandwidth.My system is Win7 x64, i7 920, 4 drive raid 0 capturescratch, Vertex SSD, 12GB  ram, PPRO CS3 (cs4 doesnt work on x64).  Ive scoured the entire handful of options adobe gives and theres nothing programwise that can be done. Ive also went through and changed all the prerender codecs from lagarith, to the generic indeo windows ones, and through ffdshows list of codecs, and the only conclusion i have come to is that i am better off not rendering at all. .

Ive worked on every commerical NLE except for flame, and only with premeire have i encountered this problem (though i hadnt worked at 60fps on every one of those systems).

• 7. Re: Why premiere is such a piece of _________
                      tonpole Level 1

Tried bmp sequences at quarter resolution, they stutter more than lagarith at half res. Actually, premiere doesnt seem to be able to handle sequences at all, every single time ive played one it eventually hangs for a few seconds or just stops playing all together. Also tried draft settings in addition to every option in playback settings, and premiere continues to stutter.

edit: Have also tried 256x128, no difference. Its obviously not a bandwidth issue, it seems like premiere just cant handle 60fps. Now why they gave that as an option i suppose was merely a marketing gimmick, and they never actually intended for anyone to edit above 30.

• 8. Re: Why premiere is such a piece of _________
                        rejdmast1 Level 2

"My system is Win7 x64, i7 920, 4 drive raid 0 capturescratch, Vertex  SSD, 12GB  ram, PPRO CS3 (cs4 doesnt work on x64)"

PPRO CS4 works on Win 7 x64 although not in true 64 bit mode.

• 9. Re: Why premiere is such a piece of _________
                          tonpole Level 1

correction, it wouldnt work for me on win7 x64. But apparently my retail version of windows 7 is different than your retail version of windows 7. Wanna compare checksums?

• 10. Re: Why premiere is such a piece of _________
                            shooternz Level 6

Tomorrow...

I have some HD tga sequences in one of my systems.

I will create a 60fps Sequence and use them as a test (for you)

Give me some idea of your PPRO Project Settings and I will adapt from there. I am assuming you are in some sort of DESKTOP Mode.

• 11. Re: Why premiere is such a piece of _________
                              tonpole Level 1

desktop, 2560x1280, progressive, 60fps, sq pixels, 44.1 wav, video rendering is lagarith, which is set to RGB and multithreaded.

And before anyone suggests maybe its windows, ive slipstreamed out the 30+GB of garbage MS preloaded onto win7, tweaked it according to SSD requirements, and have had no problems with it since i installed it 4 months ago.

• 12. Re: Why premiere is such a piece of _________
                                Curt Wrigley Level 4

tonpole wrote:

My footage was captured raw, 30fps, 1280x1024,

raw what?

(cs4 doesnt work on x64). 

CS4 actually works much better in 64 bit environment.  Though not a 64 bit native app, it is written to take advantage of the 64 bit environmrnt and utilie more memory.

Ive seen people edit 720P media at 60fps many times; but I havent personally witnessed higher resolutions than that at 60fps P.  But I dont see why it wiont work with proper horsepower.

• 13. Re: Why premiere is such a piece of _________
                                  tonpole Level 1

Oh, this is real interesting, unlinked a clip, and only one instance of its use was brought offline. Flaky POS, It wont even let me trouble shoot it.

On that note, how the hell is it still playing the clip when ive removed it from my project?!! Actually, this is the case with all my clips now after i imported my project into a new one. I actually went so far as to delete the clip in question entirely and clean the media cache folder and its still there. God i hate this program.

• 14. Re: Why premiere is such a piece of _________
                                    tonpole Level 1

Ok ill give premiere some credit, it does play my edit properly for one second, so if preview my edit one second at a time ill almost get a clear idea of what im doing. Or i can wait 5 minutes for it to export, which should take me sometime into next year to finish when CS5 comes out, at which time i'll buy FCP.

• 15. Re: Why premiere is such a piece of _________
                                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

I can edit 60 fps AVCHD footage here with no issues.  At least not any issues that resemble your problem in any way.  Source footage or system configuration are the likely sources of your problem.  Inability of Pr to edit 60 fps footage is not.

There is at least one question posed by another user that you haven't answered yet.  If you'd like to continue troubleshooting, then you should probably go through the replies and see if requests for info have gone unanswered, and then answer them.  Assistance may or may not be forthcoming after that, depending on whether anyone thinks they have anything relevant to offer.

If you're done troubleshooting and have given up on Pr completely, then let me know and I'll close the topic.

Either way, I'm going to edit the topic title so as to make it more relevant for other users who might search the forum in the future.

-Jeff

• 16. Re: Why premiere is such a piece of _________
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        I'm going to edit the topic title so as to make it more relevant for other users who might search the forum in the future.

Jeff,

Glad that you added this line. I was beginning to think that I'd partied far too much last night, as I did not recognize the title, but saw that I had replied. You now have allayed my fears of a mental breakdown. I also think that the title change will be helpful to others.

Also, thank you for the confirmation on editing AVCHD 60 material. Good to know.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Trouble Editing 60 fps Stereoscopic Footage
                                          tonpole Level 1

[Mod Edit:  Abusive post content removed.   This is a user to user help forum.  Abusive rants are not tolerated. ]  Curt Wrigley

• 18. Re: Trouble Editing 60 fps Stereoscopic Footage
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

With your style of posting you have gained quite some goodwill. Can you please vent/rant someplace else if you don't want help.

• 19. Re: Trouble Editing 60 fps Stereoscopic Footage
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, over the years of troubleshooting issues on this forum, I have gathered a useful perspective. Issues sort out this way, and in this order:

1.) System (probably 50% of the issues)

2.) Assets (probably 30% of the issues)

3.) Project Preset (probably 10% of the issues)

4.) Pure OE (probably 9% of the issues)*

5.) Real Bugs in the software (final 1% of the issues)

* Harm takes me to task, as he maintains that 1 through 3 are really OE too, but I hold out that there are differences.

Now, if others have success with their systems, the same Assets and program, that should be an indicator that maybe something is different in your instance. Also, Jeff is not given to even hyperbole, let alone BS. There have been a very few instances where he got something wrong, but I really can't remember those (gotta' be one, or two somewhere?).

He also took his time from an assignment in Europe with limited Internet access and expensive connection charges to try and help you. I would urge you to be thankful and also to show some respect for his efforts.

What some folk fail to realize is that with two exceptions, we are ALL but users. We just offer our help on a pro-bono basis to other users. Even in the cases of those two Adobe employees (in their Profiles), they work elsewhere besides C/S, or T/S, and have "day jobs" with Adobe. They also give freely of their time. If one has found a Bug, this Bug Report is how you get Adobe's attention. They take these very seriously. Be prepared to give them all necessary info, so they can replicate your issue in their lab and get to work fixing it.

Last, as users, we're really not interested in how you feel about Adobe, or its products. We're only interested in getting the necessary info to help a fellow-user solve the issues they are faced with. Might be something to take into consideration. Posting into other threads that one should ditch Adobe products is not useful to that poster, as others are attempting to help them solve their problems. It also does not sit well with people who make a nice living using Adobe products. Adobe is very lenient with references to competitive programs in these fora (far more lenient than any other software company, that I have experienced), but one should only offer up useful replies.

Good luck,

Hunt