8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2010 5:21 PM by pabGA

2 Question:  BD / BD plus STD (cs4)

pabGA

Have just begun working with Blu-Ray through Premiere.  Wow, what quality!  Two questions though, if anyone wouldn't mind helping me out.

(1):  I ran into the problem with the audio length needing to be cut back in size to be less than video length on time line in Encore.  Is this something that is widely known and likely to be addressed in CS5?

(2):  Can a disk include both BD and Std sequences -- each being viewed in there own properties on final disk?  Or does one need to use only BD HD sequences on Blu-Ray and STD on regular DVD?

Would appreciate any insights.

Thanks,

Patrick

• 1. Re: 2 Question:  BD / BD plus STD (cs4)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Please explain.

2. No, yes.

• 2. Re: 2 Question:  BD / BD plus STD (cs4)
            pabGA Level 1

Hey, Harm:  Thanks for your quick response.

The audio file, when exported from Premiere to Encore, extends a few frames beyond the video.  When you go to compile, you get an error message (I think, error 19) and Encore can't render.  A search of forums pointed out what was happening.  The work-around is to shorten the audio a few frames so that instead of being longer, the audio file is actually shorter than the video one (my project was Blue Ray disc, 1080 -- SurCode 5.1).  This also necessitates a new time line for each chapter (sequence) -- and, therefore, the dramatic pause between the chapters . I don't recall reading about it here -- but info comes from postings here a while back.  The work-around works, but not as desireable as the usual work-flow.  Still, the resulting video disk is so beautiful (looking almost like a 35mm shot), that the work-around is a small price to pay for the quality of HD. .

Again, thanks for you quick reply.

Patrick

• 3. Re: 2 Question:  BD / BD plus STD (cs4)
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Patrick,

I have seen some very slight differences in length, but never more than a few audio units, not even a single frame. What you could do is extend your timeline a tiny bit to add a fade out or something at the end of your movie.

I have never experienced this problem in a troublesome way, but then I always export elementary streams from PR and import those into EN, so no further transcoding is needed. To be more accurate, when using HD, I usually first export with I-Frame MPEG2 @ 100+ Mbps, then convert with HC to MPEG2-DVD  and add the AC3 stream in EN.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: 2 Question:  BD / BD plus STD (cs4)
                pabGA Level 1

Thanks, will try that work flow.  I still hope Adobe is aware and planning to "fix" the bug.

Patrick

• 5. Re: 2 Question:  BD / BD plus STD (cs4)
                  pabGA Level 1

Hey, Harm -- where it makes a difference is if you create a dvd with chapters all on one timeline.  If you do that, there is no may to line up the sequences with the "extra" (even though small) size of the audio video.

• 6. Re: 2 Question:  BD / BD plus STD (cs4)
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Patrick,

Because DVD and BD are based on Video, your Audio cannot be longer than the Video. I always make sure that each Sequence's Video runs about 01 sec. longer than my Audio. Also, depending on the Audio that you are using, there are other good reasons for doing this.

If you have DD 5.1 SS AC3, then you will want to have about 02 sec. of silence at the beginning of the Sequence, to allow players (especially high-end ones) time to "lock onto" the DD signal. Also see next.

If you are using 2-channel AC3 (or DD 5.1 SS), there is an encoding block size difference between the Video and the Audio. This can push the Audio stream very slightly longer than the Video stream. Another reason to have a bit of silence at the end of the Sequence.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: 2 Question:  BD / BD plus STD (cs4)
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I recommend not "ganging" AV Clips on a Timeline in Encore. There can be many issues arise. OOS, is one of these, and gaps in the Timeline, or Audio being slightly longer than Video in those Clips, can be another.

I just create an individual Timeline for each Sequence and use Playlists, or Chapter Playlists, to get the necessary navigation. Note: unless you understand Overrides 100%, do not use any in your Encore Project. Playlists, or Chapter Playlists, will give you everything you need.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: 2 Question:  BD / BD plus STD (cs4)
                        pabGA Level 1

Ok -- I know you are right.  I will just miss the seamless movement you get with all chapters on one 1 time line.  But, will change my work flow and greatly appreciate your help.

Patrick