11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2015 2:32 AM by vservu

mxmlc error: Unable to resolve resource bundle X for locale "en_US"

froboz99

Hi all,

I'm getting this error trying to compile a Flex application using mxmlc.

I could build the app some time ago using eclipse/Flex Builder 3 in Linux, since now FB3 doesn't work anymore

and so I'm relying on an old fashioned Makefile/mxmlc build.

This is my commandline and output:

/opt/adobe/flex-builder-3.3/sdks/3.0.0/bin/mxmlc -strict -target-player  10.0.0 -incremental=true -library-path+=/opt/adobe/flex-builder-3.3/sdks/3.0.0/frameworks/libs -library-path+=/opt/adobe/flex-builder-3.3/sdks/3.0.0/frameworks/libs/flex.swc -library-path+=/opt/adobe/flex-builder-3.3/sdks/3.0.0/frameworks/libs/player -library-path+=../contrib/as3corelib/lib -library-path /opt/adobe/flex-builder-3.3/sdks/3.0.0/frameworks/libs/player/playerglobal.swc -library-path /opt/adobe/flex-builder-3.3/sdks/3.0.0/frameworks/libs/flex.swc -source-path+=../MyComponent/src -source-path+=/opt/adobe/flex-builder-3.3/sdks/3.0.0/frameworks/locale/en_US  -locale=en_US -verbose-stacktraces -compiler.debug src/MyApp.mxml -output bin-debug/MyApp.swf

Error: Unable to resolve resource bundle "core" for locale "en_US".

Error: Unable to resolve resource bundle "skins" for locale "en_US".

Error: Unable to resolve resource bundle "effects" for locale "en_US".

Error: Unable to resolve resource bundle "containers" for locale "en_US".

Error: Unable to resolve resource bundle "styles" for locale "en_US".

Error: Unable to resolve resource bundle "controls" for locale "en_US".

make: *** [bin-debug/F2sClientStresser.swf] Error 13

I couldn't find relevant information on the net, honestly I have no idea what these resource bundles are.

I just can see these "controls/styles/effects/core/skins" things correspond to directories in:

/opt/adobe/flex-builder-3.3/sdks/3.0.0/frameworks/projects/framework/src/mx

but various random attempts at including them in the -source-path / -library-path failed to fix the problem for me, and now I need some directions.

Can anybody help?

Cheers.

• 1. Re: mxmlc error: Unable to resolve resource bundle X for locale "en_US"
          levancho Level 3

in your code, you have compiler argumet :

-locale=en_US

that tells it to locate resource bundle (which is properties file).

take that out and it will compile, or add resource bundle .

@see : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1028644/flex-unable-to-open-locale-en-us

• 2. Re: mxmlc error: Unable to resolve resource bundle X for locale "en_US"
            froboz99 Level 1

Hi and thanks for the answer.

I added -locale=en_US as an hack when I first encountered that problem, now I remove it again and unfortunately the errors are still there, looks like this is required when compiling flex project or something like that.

I also tried to add an empty locale/en_US/resource.properties file in my source but still to no avail.

Regards.

• 3. Re: mxmlc error: Unable to resolve resource bundle X for locale "en_US"
              levancho Level 3

oops I did misread your error, message you are getting errors on  are missing resource bundles of flex SDK, not yours.

to me this:

-source-path+=/opt/adobe/flex-builder-3.3/sdks/3.0.0/frameworks/locale/en_US

does not sound right,

• 4. Re: mxmlc error: Unable to resolve resource bundle X for locale "en_US"
                froboz99 Level 1

Thanks again,

this is my simplified command-line:

/opt/adobe/flex-builder-3.3/sdks/3.0.0/bin/mxmlc -strict -incremental=true -library-path+=/opt/adobe/flex-builder-3.3/sdks/3.0.0/frameworks/libs -library-path+=/opt/adobe/flex-builder-3.3/sdks/3.0.0/frameworks/libs/flex.swc -library-path+=/opt/adobe/flex-builder-3.3/sdks/3.0.0/frameworks/libs/player -library-path+=../contrib/as3corelib/lib -library-path /opt/adobe/flex-builder-3.3/sdks/3.0.0/frameworks/libs/flex.swc -source-path+=../MyComponent/src -verbose-stacktraces -compiler.debug src/MyApp.mxml -output bin-debug/MyApp.swf

and still getting the same errors.

I suspect this could be related to as3corelib, I'll later try a more minimal test and report back.

Regards.

• 5. Re: mxmlc error: Unable to resolve resource bundle X for locale "en_US"
                  levancho Level 3

( have not used commind line, always ant ) lets try one more time :

-library-path /opt/adobe/flex-builder-3.3/sdks/3.0.0/frameworks/libs/flex.swc

does not it override previously defined

-library-path, since += is missing.
                  1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: mxmlc error: Unable to resolve resource bundle X for locale "en_US"
                    froboz99 Level 1

Hi,

well I also tried that, then I tried with another simpler project and it seems it goes just fine.

The problem seems somehow related to the inclusion of other libraries (as3corelib or the sources of my component).

I'll post something back here if I'll figure out what's going wrong.

Thanks for your assistence, regards.

• 7. Re: mxmlc error: Unable to resolve resource bundle X for locale "en_US"
                      froboz99 Level 1

The problem seems to be related to -load-config config.xml.

The content of the config.xml is

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
                      <flex-config>
                      </flex-config>

I also tried to play with the <xml> element, removing the whole element or adding/removing the encoding attribute doesn't change anything.

If I don't use the -load-config option in the mxmlc command the compilation goes just fine.

I have no idea why mxmlc behaves like that, I'll eventually report a bug but I have no much hope that Adobe will deal with it.

So the only possible work-around is to get a clue about this damn bundle thing:

Error: Unable to resolve resource bundle "effects" for locale "en_US".

Error: Unable to resolve resource bundle "containers" for locale "en_US".

Error: Unable to resolve resource bundle "styles" for locale "en_US".

Can anyone give some hint?

Greets.

• 8. Re: mxmlc error: Unable to resolve resource bundle X for locale "en_US"
                        froboz99 Level 1

Found a workaround, I'm simply setting -locale= (with *no arg*) in the command and mxmlc stops to complain and just does its work.

Working command example:

/opt/adobe/flex-builder-3.3/sdks/3.0.0/bin/mxmlc -strict -library-path+=../contrib/as3corelib/lib -library-path+=/opt/adobe/flex-builder-3.3/sdks/3.0.0/frameworks/libs -library-path+=/opt/adobe/flex-builder-3.3/sdks/3.0.0/frameworks/libs/player -locale= -load-config config/config.xml  -compiler.debug src/CoolApp.mxml -output bin-debug/CoolApp.swf

Hope to save some time to next poor fellow which will got stucked into this.

Greets.

• 9. Re: mxmlc error: Unable to resolve resource bundle X for locale "en_US"
                          TomCoppock

I was struggling with the same problem. To resolve the issue I added the following command line option:

-compiler.library-path+=${eclipse.workspace}/${project.name}/WebContent/WEB-INF/flex/local e/{locale}

Where  ${eclipse.workspace} ${project.name} are replaced by the path to the  eclipse project containing your application.

A good tip is to view the .actionScriptProperties file in Flash Builder eclipse project, then reuse the compiler settings contained in this file to work out the correct options to use when using mxmlc on the command line.

• 10. Re: mxmlc error: Unable to resolve resource bundle X for locale "en_US"
                            Niteware

4.5 years after your post, I just ran into the same issue with a new Idea ide project and it is all related to referencing xml files in the resource bundle.

Your solution worked and it is building/packaging fine for en_US, for other locales, I include the full arg for "-locale=xxxx"...

Thanks for the original post.

• 11. Re: mxmlc error: Unable to resolve resource bundle X for locale "en_US"
                              vservu

And exactly 5 months later I also had that issue when I wanted to build a "package" with ANT (usually I develop and test with IntelliJ IDEA).
                              And I have no idea why and how that happened.

Modifying the flex-config.xml (deleting en_US from "locale=en_US") did not help; neither did the same approach help with  build.properties.

BUT: adding 'locale="" ' to the mxmlc call in the build.xml config solved the issue!

Thanks for reporting the workaround! You made my day ;-)