2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2010 12:58 PM by Mylenium

RAM usage

SJurick Level 1

Just curious, but each time I render something in AE, at the bottom of the Render Queue it shows RAM: n% used of 3.0 GB.

Is AE only seeing 3GB because it's a 32 bit application?

I'm using a Mac Pro, 8GB, Snow Leopard 10.6.2, AE CS4

Will the next version being 64 bit address more RAM if that is indeed what I'm seeing here?

• 1. Re: RAM usage
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes.

If you have multiprocessing turned on, AE will launch seperate instances of itself in the background to take advantage of more memory. Remember though, that AE really wants 2 GB of RAM per core of your processor, and you need to leave 1 or 2 Gigs free for your OS and other things that are running.

Here's a page on that.

Here's a page on getting more out of AE.

• 2. Re: RAM usage
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Will the next version being 64 bit address more RAM if that is indeed what I'm seeing here?

Yes, it will. 2^64 is a quadrizillion or something like that and native 64bit programs should be able to use all of it. Though, to be fair, many things will still not require that much RAM, so you may still see using "10% of 8GB" instead of "99% of 8GB" a lot of times. There are more factors involved that affect the actual memory usage vs. the theoretically possible usage.

Mylenium