3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2010 1:10 PM by ~graffiti

Identifying corrupt PDF's

IanClements

Please bear with me if I've not put this thread in the right place, but I have a problem that I haven't been able to solve so I thought I'd try this forum.

I have an automated process whereby I receive pdf's via ftp from a supplier, merge a batch of them together using PDFTK and then send them on to a printing company. Recently the printing company have started complaining about corruptions so I investigated and found that some of the pdf's I was receiving had some form of corruption. Adobe Reader and Acrobat would still open the files and they would be fine - although sometimes a distorted image would be spotted - and PDFTK would still merge them, printing is also fine for me; however if I test the file with an application called Solid PDF converter then it won't open the file (no specific error unfortunately) and the corruption is confirmed.

I'm assuming that the Adobe products and clever enough to workaround the corruption but what I need is something that will check each pdf for corruption before I process it. Although there are a number of tools that claim to fix corrupted files all I want is something that will just report it to me so that I can send it back to where it came from.

I'd appreciate any ideas you may have.

• 1. Re: Identifying corrupt PDF's
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not aware of anything that "reports" corruption in a PDF other than the stress test.

You may want to ask PDFTK support why their PDF's aren't working in other applications (the printer could be using a RIP).

Either that or figure out how to use Acrobat to produce the PDF's.

• 2. Re: Identifying corrupt PDF's
            IanClements Level 1

I don't actally produce the pdf's, they come from an outside company who are being extremely unhelpful (ever heard of Right Now?). I just use PDFTK to merge them so it's not PDFTK's fault if the result is faulty - garbage in, garbage out.

What do you mean by the "stress test"?

• 3. Re: Identifying corrupt PDF's
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It still could be  PDFTK's fault. The only way to tell is to experiment  with the PDF's before you use it. But why not simply use Acrobat? Combine a PDF with Acrobat and send that in to see if they have problems.

By stress test I mean opening them.If they say they are corrupt, then you know. I don't know of anything you can get to tell you this before you open them.

IanClements wrote:

I don't actally produce the pdf's, they come from an outside company who are being extremely unhelpful (ever heard of Right Now?). I just use PDFTK to merge them so it's not PDFTK's fault if the result is faulty - garbage in, garbage out.

What do you mean by the "stress test"?